Mac vs PC & TVP

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
imihsas

Mac vs PC & TVP

Post by imihsas »

OK, this post is sort of on-topic, sort of off-topic... and sort of long!! I hope I could get some input from folks belonging to "both sides" of the personal computer world.

I have always been a PC user... have built three myself over the last 7 or so years for purposes of having exactly the power that I want without exorbitant costs. In that I am interested in animation (TVP in particular), photo editing (Photoshop, Lightroom), and other graphic & video related endeavors (Illustrator, Premiere, Painter) I like lots of RAM, extra hard drives, and a decent video card... and print on an Epson 2200. And I always utilize my Wacom Intuos!!

Well, I am thinking of making the switch to a Mac for a variety of reasons that I will not go into now, most importantly because I am dying for an upgrade, least importantly because everyone I know uses Macs now!! I am considering getting a barebones Mac Pro and purchasing RAM upgrades online (and putting the SATA drives currently in use in my PC, into the Mac).

Finally, does anyone have any thoughts concerning running TVP Anim Pro on their Intel based Mac? Good, bad? How about other graphics applications as listed above? Intuos? Printer? Photoshop... blah blah blah? Anyone who has made the switch recently?? ANYONE USE BOOTCAMP???

Sorry so long! Thanks for reading!! Marc
ematecki
Site Admin

Post by ematecki »

Just go for it !

Obviously my answer is biased, as I'm the Mac Developper of TVPaint :)

But, TVPaint works great on MacIntel, every MacIntel user will tell you.

The Intuos works really well in MacOSX.

Any other software ported to Mac works just better than on PCs :)
(I don't know Lightroom ?)

Epson has good drivers for MacOSX, but I didn't check the 2200.
If the driver exists, I'm sure it works fine.

About bootcamp... well, it's a dual-boot system, so you have to save all your open documents, reboot in windoz, and then the same to get back to MacOSX. Other than being annoying to have to save and quit all your open apps (my Mac shuts down only on power outages :), it works well.

For third party memory, just be sure to read this before buying :
http://developer.apple.com/technotes/tn2006/tn2156.html
And be warned that the CURRENT version of TVPaint Animation won't use more than 4GB of RAM (although the rest will be used by the other open apps).
Quicktime is DEAD. Get over it and move on !
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

I run TVPaint on my Intel MacBook and it works great.

If I were going to work on a large project I'd probably want to be on a MacPro tower with more RAM , but for what I'm doing presently I'm fine with the Macbook. I have a Cintiq tablet hooked up to the Macbook and also use an Intous 3 tablet with it when I'm traveling (Cintiq's a bit bulky to travel with) .

Both tablets, Intous 3 and Cintiq, work very well with the Mac.

Other than TVPaint here are the some apps I use on my intel Mac :

Photoshop CS2, Illustrator CS, Flash 8, ToonBoom Studio,
ArtRage2 . All work very well and I'm very happy with the Mac work environment.

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
elmisilhumano

Post by elmisilhumano »

I use tv paint in mac too. It's just so easy and it works fine. I have intel laptop and intel tower and I'm working in a studio where most of the people works with PC's. And still everything works.

Mikko
imihsas

WOW thanks for all your replies!

Post by imihsas »

WOW thanks for all your replies!