Work of Nathan Otaño Topic is solved

Show us your drawings and animation made with the TVPaint technology here !
NathanOtano

Work of Nathan Otaño

Post by NathanOtano »

Hello!

Just wanted to post my current demoreel with some animations I made, mostly, with Tvpaint. And start a thread for future news.

And my making of of our Annecy film

I'm open for freelance jobs, as long as the deadlines are not too tight since i'm still studying. And don't hesitate to propose internships.

And here is my CV/Linked in for contact and everything else :
https://www.linkedin.com/in/nathanotano#_=_" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Any comment/advice is welcome! I'm always starving for ways to improve my work and I know there is some strong animators here.

Nathan
Working on Windows 10
Creator of Disnosc, providing storyboard, animation and design for 2D realistic pictural animation: https://www.disnosc.fr/ - nathanotano@disnosc.fr
Highly interested in animation workflows, I'm open to scripting new TVP functions for individuals and studios.
Cardin

Re: Work of Nathan Otaño

Post by Cardin »

I'm not experienced or skilled enough to offer any advice, I can only offer my praise and admiration. Great stuff, Mr. Nathan! I especially like the Alice's falling sequence, that was very creative!
TVPaint 11 Pro(11.7.2-64bits) Nov 14, 2023 Release
System: i9-13900K, 128GB RAM, Intel Arc A770(16GB), Win 11 (Ver. 10.0.22621 Build 22621)
Wacom Cintiq 4K (Driver 6.4.5-5 Jan 25, 2024)
NathanOtano

Post by NathanOtano »

That's kind thank you!
Working on Windows 10
Creator of Disnosc, providing storyboard, animation and design for 2D realistic pictural animation: https://www.disnosc.fr/ - nathanotano@disnosc.fr
Highly interested in animation workflows, I'm open to scripting new TVP functions for individuals and studios.
Paul Fierlinger

Post by Paul Fierlinger »

Nathan I sympathize with your cry for constructive criticism but I've been beaten out of that role on this website. I'm finished because the howls of the small minded have driven me away. Of course you want to be acknowledged because you are talented and ambitious and eager to succeed in all the right ways for all the right reasons. There is nothing more you want to do with your life than draw and animate all day long for the rest of your days but you also need to find a source of income to support that burning desire and so you have to ask how is it done that you can have both at the same time because you know it can be done since there are people in the world who are already there and you even know who they are but you feel too intimidated to approach them directly.

Unfortunately it is the only way and I'll tell you why. As much as you are frustrated by the lack of interest on these pages from those who have reached your dreams this forum is a paradigm for the metaphor that it is a jungle out there. In here it is the thick of out there. All of social media is filled with ill spirits and false illusions. If you think the jungle metaphor applies only to the novice, then I am here to tell you it applies to everyone, including the initiated and experienced.

I came of age in the animation field when there was no mass media; there weren't even any animation schools. I and my peers had to find the support we so desperately needed in one on one contacts. We learned from each by giving critiques to each other and we had fights over harsh words but we had to look each other in the eye when we spoke. Anyone could wonder why we would want to put ourselves through all that stress and turmoil if the going was so harsh. We were like that because we knew were friends in need and it was clear to us how much we were learning from these fights.

This can't happen out here in the TVP forum jungle because if it's a virtual jungle it is infested with real snakes in the virtual bushes who come out when they see a fight brewing and say, I don't have the time to join in but keep on going because I like to participate as an onlooker of destruction. And you know what? It works for the snakes because a coward doesn't like eye to eye contact.

I suggest you find people in your environment who aren't afraid to look each other in the eye and need you as much as you need them. I know this exists in New York because I have seen it. It happens where there are small gatherings of animators who meet each other around tiny, impromptu festivals held after dark on rooftops of buildings or backrooms of noble institutions that are closed to the public at night but there is someone who always has the key to the back door. I have people like you come visit me and I enjoy their company as much as they enjoy mine. Every one of those budding animators are becoming real animators with real commissioned work because they can take my blunt words for what they really are meant to be; solid, practical advice and they know it's solid because they can look me in the eye and know there is nothing to be afraid of. It's the snakes in the virtual bushes that one needs to be wary of because virtual snakes can cause real damage to the real world.
Paul
http://www.slocumfilm.com
Desktop PC Win10-Pro -64 bit OS; 32.0 GB RAM
Processor: i7-2600 CPU@3.40GHz
AMD FirePro V7900; Intuos4 Wacom tablet
NathanOtano

Post by NathanOtano »

It's ok I have a life in France too and met real people who gave me great advices, i've done some internships... It's just student work and only for the animation part, nothing really exceptional or even narrative (where is acting in this vidéo...? I hope to have someday something more interesting and warm). I have a LOT of things to improve :) so i don't really talk about talent/eager to success or something... I'm just at the beginning of the road and accomplished nothing yet, hoping to be able to be professional enough to work either in the industry or for personnal projects and make a living from it. But at this point i'm sure of nothing, i just do my best.

Actually I like animating but what i really like is cinema, and i'm trying to multiply internships in storyboard and i write a lot. I'm sure i'll end working for some live action movies, maybe do my own little films. So just drawing and animating is just something really little at the end of the production, nothing to make a big deal about. Just a way to express a story.

That's kind from you to have taken the time to give me a review. I really love your work and i have a lot of respect for your courage to make independant feature films, for me it's really impressive as i'm actually not really experienced. And for me it's hope to see this kind of films in the actual context of the "jungle" you're describing.

Actually I just wanted to share my demoreel here to have some advices and visibility on my work because this forum is nice for it, it's not at all the only way i imagine to sell me to the world. I don't make a big deal about not being reviewed, maybe i'll receive an email... I'm not starving for work because "sadly" i have 2 years before finishing my school.
I'm born in this web jungle and always try to sort the messages I read an receive and to be critical about that. In fact for me it's the same thing in real life haha, and yes there is nice meetings in paris where you discuss anim drinking beers :D

Again thanks for your review :)
Working on Windows 10