Trailer for my new film, "The Poetry of No-Self"

Show us your drawings and animation made with the TVPaint technology here !
dorbs

Trailer for my new film, "The Poetry of No-Self"

Post by dorbs »

Hey! my film is out and I wanted to share the trailer with you guys. The film was made entirely in TVPaint. Mixing collage and animation was a hell of a challenge and the community here helped me a lot, so I can't thank you enough. here it is

Lots of love!
Last edited by dorbs on 07 Oct 2021, 00:33, edited 6 times in total.
slowtiger

Re: Trailer for my new film, "The Poetry of No-Self"

Post by slowtiger »

Wow! I like that. I'm a sucker for good old-fashioned flickering collage, and for depicting everyday life and environments (there's a kitchen in my last film as well).

(The scene with the pedestrians looses the illusion of movement somehow, and the scenes after that look backwards, am I right?)

Would like to hear a bit about your production workflow: did you do a first pass with drawn animation, then pasting the scanned elements? How did you organize those? Are all elements drawn inside TVP (some look ike drawn on paper)?
TVP 10.0.18 and 11.0 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
TVP 11.0 and 11.7 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
TVP 11.7 Mac Mini M2pro 32GB OS 13.5
dorbs

Re: Trailer for my new film, "The Poetry of No-Self"

Post by dorbs »

Thanks, I appreciate it! And yes, the scenes after are backward and on fast-forward. What do you think made that illusion of movement get lost there?

About the workflow:
First a very rough animatic without a lot of stylistic decisions, just the general contour of things. Then I made style frames and sometimes complete animations, with TVPaint brushes that I modified and collage bits and pieces that I scanned and turned into "brushes". Sometimes I used anim-brush to work fast and get the flickering effect more random. I used a lot of paper textures on Multiply which made it look rougher, I guess that's why you thought that some look drawn on paper. They are all drawn within TVPaint, mostly layers of blue, red and yellow in some blending mode (multiply, I think).

This is my Custom Brush panel. Pretty funny, lots of birth certificates and passport pictures of my grandfather