automatically LOCK selected Points in the Warp tool ? Topic is solved

This section is dedicated to the feature & improvement requests (be sure what you are asking does not exist yet in TVPaint Animation ;) )
D.T. Nethery

automatically LOCK selected Points in the Warp tool ?

Post by D.T. Nethery »

EDIT: There IS a way to automatically lock all the selected points. See Svengali's post directly below this one.
So I marked this as RESOLVED. But please update the User Guide section on the Warp tool with the information in Sven's post below.

-----

There's one part of the Warp tool that I've never quite understood and I'm wondering if it could be improved.

In the User Guide section on the Warp tool , https://www.tvpaint.com/doc/tvp11/index ... sform-warp , it mentions that by holding down shift you can draw around all the area where you want points locked , selecting multiple points in one action . However, for me this only selects the points, it does not lock the selected points. What I would expect is that the selected points would all be locked. But it seems like after selecting the multiple points I still have to hold down shift and click on each point one at a time to lock them. Is there a way to add a setting "Lock all selected points", so the points do not need to be locked one at a time ? Yes, there is a way to do this. See Svengali's post below.

Last edited by D.T. Nethery on 30 Apr 2022, 19:00, edited 4 times in total.

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
Svengali

Re: automatically LOCK selected Points in the Warp tool ?

Post by Svengali »

Once you shift-select a group of points, cursor over any of the selected area and right click - brings up the "Lock this point" prompt which you then release the right click over... all enclosed points will then be locked.
Likewise, if you immediately thereafter want to unlock all of the selected area of points, simply right click over any part of of the locked area points - brings up the "Unlock this point" prompt which you then release the right click over...
You can also unlock any selected points by shift-selecting around any number of those points as a group, then right click over any part of the selected area points - brings up the "Unlock this point" prompt which you then release the right click over... note the points become unlocked but are still selected (with small circles), which can be cleared by LMB clicking over area outside the grid.

If the grid has been deformed, you can clear all locked points by clicking the APPLY button... locked points will all be cleared (no residual selected small circles) however a new version of the grid is also drawn that covers the modified image. Note also that if the grid/image has been scaled they both are re-scaled.
Click the RESET button to restore the original grid's dimension.

Note too: clicking the RESET button after any transform will clear all locks and reorient (home) the image and the original grid.

sven

addendum: The Grid can be transformed as follows:
Control Key: left click and DRAG the deformed grid + locked points + deformed object
Control+Shift Key: left click lets you ROTATE deformed grid + locked points + deformed object (around center of object)
right click lets you SCALE deformed grid + locked points + deformed object (around center of object)

TVP Pro 11.0.10-64bit Win10 - 64GB ram -2TB HHD - 256GB SSD - Wacom Cintiq 16, driver 6.3.41-1
Android Tablet: rel. 11, Samsung Galaxy Note10.1 - 32GB with microSD 32GB
Android Tablet: rel. 11.5, Samsung Galaxy Tab S7plus - 128GB with microSD 64GB
D.T. Nethery

Re: automatically LOCK selected Points in the Warp tool ?

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Svengali wrote: 29 Apr 2022, 20:19 Once you shift-select a group of points, cursor over any of the selected area and right click - brings up the "Lock this point" prompt which you then release the right click over... all enclosed points will then be locked.
Ah, there it is ! Sven to the rescue again. Thank you. I felt there must be a way to do that (because I think I've actually done that before) but I could not remember that after selecting all the points I had to right-click and then clicking on "Lock This Point" (singular) would lock all of the selected points (plural). I feel rather silly for forgetting that. Thanks for reminding me of how it works.

So , there is another little detail that should be made clearer in the User Guide , because that's where I went to look it up and there's nothing there about right-click over one the selected points and locking that point would lock all the selected points.

Svengali wrote: 29 Apr 2022, 20:19 Likewise, if you immediately thereafter want to unlock all of the selected area of points, simply right click over any part of of the locked area points - brings up the "Unlock this point" prompt which you then release the right click over...

You can also unlock any selected points by shift-selecting around any number of those points as a group, then right click over any part of the selected area points - brings up the "Unlock this point" prompt which you then release the right click over... note the points become unlocked but are still selected (with small circles), which can be cleared by LMB clicking over area outside the grid.

If the grid has been deformed, you can clear all locked points by clicking the APPLY button... locked points will all be cleared (no residual selected small circles) however a new version of the grid is also drawn that covers the modified image. Note also that if the grid/image has been scaled they both are re-scaled.
Click the RESET button to restore the original grid's dimension.

Note too: clicking the RESET button after any transform will clear all locks and reorient (home) the image and the original grid.

sven

addendum: The Grid can be transformed as follows:
Control Key: left click and DRAG the deformed grid + locked points + deformed object
Control+Shift Key: left click lets you ROTATE deformed grid + locked points + deformed object (around center of object)
right click lets you SCALE deformed grid + locked points + deformed object (around center of object)

Thank you for all this additional information on controlling the Warp tool grid.

It seems to me all this should be copied and pasted into the User Guide, here:
https://www.tvpaint.com/doc/tvp11/index ... sform-warp

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1