auto break instance off when using the transform tool

This section is dedicated to the feature & improvement requests (be sure what you are asking does not exist yet in TVPaint Animation ;) )
Joost

auto break instance off when using the transform tool

Post by Joost »

Hi,

In TVP 10 the way auto break instances worked was perfect for me!
In TVP 11 it goes wrong all the time. I'm constantly drawing over frames when I don't want it or messing up a whole layer structures when using the transform tool.

I really would like the option to auto turn off the auto break instances automatically when using the transform tool, and to turn it automatically on for ALL other tools.

But there is no such option right?

The only thing I can come up with is to make an action for EVERY tool I have, but it would be nice to have an easier option.

One of the things somebody said once was a checkbox somewhere in each tool preference. Would that be something to consider?

Thanks!
Mac OS 13.4.1 , Mac Studio 2023, 32GB RAM, Wacom Cintiq 27 QHD (no touch), Wacom Driver 6.4.2-4.
TVP Pro 11.7.1
NathanOtano

Re: auto break instance off when using the transform tool

Post by NathanOtano »

I personally just desactivate autobrak all the time on my layer presets and never use it. I always create instances by hand to avoid mistakes
Working on Windows 10
Creator of Disnosc, providing storyboard, animation and design for 2D realistic pictural animation: https://www.disnosc.fr/ - nathanotano@disnosc.fr
Highly interested in animation workflows, I'm open to scripting new TVP functions for individuals and studios.
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

NathanOtano wrote: 13 Apr 2022, 15:07 I personally just desactivate autobrak all the time on my layer presets and never use it. I always create instances by hand to avoid mistakes
That's how I have mine set up in the layer presets and in Preferences > Startup .

However, if it is possible to restore the previous behavior from TVPaint 10 where Auto-Break Instance is automatically disabled when activating the Transform Tool , that would be fine with me.
Could that also be added as a Layer Preset preference or in the main Preferences ,to have a check box next to a preference "Always disable Auto-Break Instance when using Transform Tool" ?

Screen Shot 2022-04-13 at 8.49.33 AM.jpg
Screen Shot 2022-04-13 at 8.49.33 AM.jpg (74.7 KiB) Viewed 4096 times
Screen Shot 2022-04-13 at 8.49.57 AM.jpg
Screen Shot 2022-04-13 at 8.49.57 AM.jpg (62.64 KiB) Viewed 4096 times

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
Joost

Post by Joost »

NathanOtano wrote: 13 Apr 2022, 15:07 I personally just desactivate autobrak all the time on my layer presets and never use it. I always create instances by hand to avoid mistakes
That's a solution. But in my opinion, it takes more time to create a new frame every time.
And my main problem is when drawing in a frame outside of a layer: Let's say a layer has 4 frames. Then I want to draw on the 5th frame, where there is no instance or frame yet. When drawing in this empty frame, it always is ruining my previous frame because two characters will be in the same frame. If I want to add an extra instance, it always messes up my layer: If I add an extra instance on an empty frame, it creates two instances, and moves my layer one frame backwards... (which is by the way very strange...)
Mac OS 13.4.1 , Mac Studio 2023, 32GB RAM, Wacom Cintiq 27 QHD (no touch), Wacom Driver 6.4.2-4.
TVP Pro 11.7.1
Joost

Post by Joost »

D.T. Nethery wrote: 13 Apr 2022, 15:23
That's how I have mine set up in the layer presets and in Preferences > Startup .

However, if it is possible to restore the previous behavior from TVPaint 10 where Auto-Break Instance is automatically disabled when activating the Transform Tool , that would be fine with me.
Could that also be added as a Layer Preset preference or in the main Preferences ,to have a check box next to a preference "Always disable Auto-Break Instance when using Transform Tool" ?

Screen Shot 2022-04-13 at 8.49.33 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2022-04-13 at 8.49.57 AM.jpg
Thanks for the reaction! I already had these switched "on".
However, my problem mainly occurs when switching to the transform tool and back... So it would be nice if you could have a checkbox connected to a tool...
TVP Pro 11.7.1
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

I agree. It would probably be best to have a checkbox option on the Transform Tool that says: "Disable Auto-Break Instance when using Transform Tool" , so if you check that box the auto-break is always disabled when using Transform Tool, then is restored to the user's normal setting for auto-break instance when a drawing tool is selected.

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
Joost

Post by Joost »

D.T. Nethery wrote: 15 Apr 2022, 18:01 I agree. It would probably be best to have a checkbox option on the Transform Tool that says: "Disable Auto-Break Instance when using Transform Tool" , so if you check that box the auto-break is always disabled when using Transform Tool, then is restored to the user's normal setting for auto-break instance when a drawing tool is selected.

Then the question to the TVPaint team:

Would something like this be possible?

Thanks!
TVP Pro 11.7.1
Peter Wassink

Post by Peter Wassink »

Joost wrote: 18 Apr 2022, 09:09
D.T. Nethery wrote: 15 Apr 2022, 18:01 I agree. It would probably be best to have a checkbox option on the Transform Tool that says: "Disable Auto-Break Instance when using Transform Tool" , so if you check that box the auto-break is always disabled when using Transform Tool, then is restored to the user's normal setting for auto-break instance when a drawing tool is selected.
Then the question to the TVPaint team:
Would something like this be possible?
I agree, but maybe better if it said: "IGNORE Auto-Break Instance when using Transform Tool"
This way the layer autobreak stays as it is and you don't loose that setting after you applied the Transform.
Peter Wassink - 2D animator
• PC: Win11/64 Pro - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core - 64Gb RAM
• laptop: Win10/64 Pro - i7-4600@2.1 GHz - 16Gb RAM