Adapt the brush preview to match the blending mode

This section is dedicated to the feature & improvement requests (be sure what you are asking does not exist yet in TVPaint Animation ;) )
dogsma

Adapt the brush preview to match the blending mode

Post by dogsma »

The old bug with picking up a brush made the brush invisible until you blindly pasted. That was fixed .

Now I have noticed that the cut/ copy brush set to BEHIND function is only visible over/above the image until stamped.
Sandra S. Fierlinger
Peter Wassink

Re: Adapt the brush preview to match the blending mode

Post by Peter Wassink »

What you are refering too is the drawing modes

this whole list:
drawing modes.jpg
drawing modes.jpg (10.51 KiB) Viewed 10662 times
it would indeed be great if these could give us WYSIWYG
and make TVPaint more intuitive.
because i agree, having to first apply a tool before you can see what that tool does is not ideal.

but i don't think they ever did?

Most likely this was done at the time to keep tvpaint more responsive... so maybe this is less of an issue now (with faster processors)
could it be re-considered?
Peter Wassink - 2D animator
• PC: Win11/64 Pro - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core - 64Gb RAM
• laptop: Win10/64 Pro - i7-4600@2.1 GHz - 16Gb RAM
dogsma

Post by dogsma »

Hi Peter the cut/ copy brush has worked in the BEHIND selection since the beginning of TVP. Remember when Xavier tweaked the cut/copy brush so when you picked it up ..you couldn't see it until it was stamped?. This is similar and not too complicated. )
This time you pick it up and you see it above the image before stamping.. In BEHIND you should see the brush behind the image (or layer above )
Yes chosen from the drawing mode panel.
Sandra S. Fierlinger
Peter Wassink

Post by Peter Wassink »

Yes, i agree
the current behaviour does not make sense.

TVPaint should present what you will get after you click.
Peter Wassink - 2D animator
• PC: Win11/64 Pro - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core - 64Gb RAM
• laptop: Win10/64 Pro - i7-4600@2.1 GHz - 16Gb RAM
Xavier

Post by Xavier »

Peter Wassink wrote: 26 Jul 2021, 16:26 the current behaviour does not make sense.
Hi, could you please explain me (with simple words) what is wrong ? I'm actually not sure to understand :?
Paul Fierlinger

Post by Paul Fierlinger »

There are cases when you want to stamp a picked up image below a current one -- for instance a chair to be placed behind the character. As it works now , you can only drag the chair so that it covers the character and once you stamp it down it is placed behind the character. But how can you tell if it's in the desired position before you stamp it down? When you drag a chair it should always remain behind the character, that is the issue.
Paul
http://www.slocumfilm.com
Desktop PC Win10-Pro -64 bit OS; 32.0 GB RAM
Processor: i7-2600 CPU@3.40GHz
AMD FirePro V7900; Intuos4 Wacom tablet
dogsma

Post by dogsma »

Okay. Remember when Peter and I had you fix he the cut/copy- stamp brush. ? You could NOT see what you cut on the brush until you stamped it. One could not see where to place the "stamp". That got fixed.
Now in the same Brush panel if you change the action from color to BEHIND the "stamp" should still appear on the brush but it should go Behind the image (on an instance) to stamp.
It stays on top of the image . When stamped it will be placed behind.
The trouble is while on your brush it shows above the image. It should show BEHIND.
Do you get it now? Look at Peter's image of the drawing mode panel above.
>>>>sorry can't show you the stamp on my pen>Here you can see panel
CUT BRUSH -BEHIND.JPG
CUT BRUSH -BEHIND.JPG (91.59 KiB) Viewed 10626 times
Sandra S. Fierlinger
Xavier

Post by Xavier »

dogsma wrote: 25 Jul 2021, 23:44 Now I have noticed that the cut/ copy brush set to BEHIND function is only visible over/above the image until stamped.
Ok, I'm still trying to understand. Could this question be related to the brush preview ?

Here's the behaviour I have :
TVPaint_Brush_Behind.mp4
(823.38 KiB) Downloaded 543 times
So I agree that the preview is displayed above the drawing, but the stamp is actually drawn behind the drawing.
If your request is to update the preview depending on the blending mode, then it's more a feature request than a bug. Shall I move this topic to "feature & improvement requests" ?
dogsma

Post by dogsma »

What can I say?
The preview set to BEHIND should show BEHIND. ( I can not reproduce an example because the brush is holding the cut/copy selection. but I need my mouse to to make the snip)

BEHIND should preview BEHIND.. It has been this way since the beginning of TVPaint years ago.
This bug happened end of last year when Peter and I reported the "Preview" cut/copy brush would not show at all.. above or behind until pasted.** you fixed that bug.
NOW in BEHIND mode it shows the cut/ copy above until you stamp. Once stamped it properly shows BEHIND
It should show BEHIND while Brush holds it -on the same layer -and instance
Sandra S. Fierlinger
Xavier

Post by Xavier »

dogsma wrote: 11 Aug 2021, 16:09 It has been this way since the beginning of TVPaint years ago.
I installed a version 11.0.5 (from 2016) and I'm afraid that it behaves exactly the same way : even set to BEHIND, the cut/copy brush preview is displayed on top of the drawing.

So I cannot consider your report as a bug. It's an improvement request.
dogsma

Post by dogsma »

Alright .I must be mistaken. Thanks ..There are more important battles . .. consider it an improvement request.
Sandra S. Fierlinger
Xavier

Post by Xavier »

dogsma wrote: 12 Aug 2021, 14:42 Alright .I must be mistaken. Thanks ..There are more important battles . .. consider it an improvement request.
Sorry, as I'm the only developer on the v11 I have to be a little picky.

It's a good suggestion, anyway. As said above : it would make sense.