Project View needs a serious improvement

This section is dedicated to the feature & improvement requests (be sure what you are asking does not exist yet in TVPaint Animation ;) )
Soom

Project View needs a serious improvement

Post by Soom »

I love the fact that it is possible to do almost all the processes of a film project in one great software! But after storyboarding with TVPaint Pro for a while, I came to a conclusion that it is not as smooth as animating with it (which is the best in the World). I think the Project View window lacks some very basic functions and needs some serious improvements:
1. Light Table must be available for scenes and clips.
2. Interface colors customisation currently doesn't exist for the Project view - it would be helpful if we could define our own colors for the different elements.
3. In addition to colors, there should be a better visible separation between clips/scenes. Right now they are too close together and the tiny little corner on scene edges is barely visible.
4. Batch actions on multiple selected clips like dragging and dropping, changing duration, copy/pasting, renaming, etc. are a must! Currently none of that is possible.
5. In addition there has to be an option to move around the whole scene without doing it one clip at a time - otherwise it beats the purpose of scenes.
6. for some reason it is impossible to copy/paste a clip without selecting it with SHIFT first. (My guess it is a bug, I will report this separately).
7. The scene numbering and the Slate has to be reviewed and fixed: for example the Slate doesn't generate scene/clip numbers — instead it just would generate a sequential clip number of the whole project (btw in Publishing this does work!). So I never know which scene I am working with if I export the frames to another software. Clip names can be displayed, but they are useless on long projects, as they can only be typed in manually - there is no autonaming option. Typing manually hundreds of scene numbers is just too cumbersome, especially if it's still a work in progress.
8. When switching through clips with keyboard shortcuts (go to > next/previous), the disabled clips should be ignored. Currently they are displayed along as any other clip.
9. Dragging and dropping clips scrolls too fast through the window, but I have posted already a thread about it.

This is what I run into in my daily workflow - there might be other things, but I think these are the more urgent ones. thanks!
at home: Hackintosh Intel Core i9-9900K, GPU AMD RX 6600 8GB, Cintiq 22" + Dell P2415Q 4K displays, MAC OS High Sierra / Windows 10, TVP Pro 11.7.1 + TVP Pro beta
at work: Windows 10, TVP 11.7.1 Std
https://vimeo.com/danas
Padruig

Re: Project View needs a serious improvement

Post by Padruig »

I agree, there could be some improvements made here. The batch rename at least can be handled with this useful panel. I use it all the time.

https://www.tvpaint.com/forum/viewtopi ... ame#p47609
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Padruig wrote: 05 Apr 2021, 07:46 I agree, there could be some improvements made here. The batch rename at least can be handled with this useful panel. I use it all the time.

That is a useful script from Mads Juul (I miss him! Where did Mads go ? It seems like he has not been seen on the forum for a long time ... ) But as Mads said all those years ago (in 2011) : "I think some kind of feature like this should be implemented in TVP." I don't think anyone would disagree with that. I hope someone from TVPaint can say whether or not this batch rename feature (and other improvements mentioned by Soom in the post above) could be implemented in TVPaint by default, rather than continuing to add the feature to the array of custom scripts. Batch rename of clips doesn't seem to be an exotic behavior that only a few would use.

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
Soom

Post by Soom »

Padruig wrote: 05 Apr 2021, 07:46 I agree, there could be some improvements made here. The batch rename at least can be handled with this useful panel. I use it all the time.

Nice, thanks! but it is only half useful - it doesn't number SCENES and CLIPS separately - it can only count Clips in a sequence, just like the Slate function does, which is unfortunately a drawback...
at home: Hackintosh Intel Core i9-9900K, GPU AMD RX 6600 8GB, Cintiq 22" + Dell P2415Q 4K displays, MAC OS High Sierra / Windows 10, TVP Pro 11.7.1 + TVP Pro beta
at work: Windows 10, TVP 11.7.1 Std
https://vimeo.com/danas