Tvp to PSD video layers

This section is dedicated to the feature & improvement requests (be sure what you are asking does not exist yet in TVPaint Animation ;) )
condepablo

Tvp to PSD video layers

Post by condepablo »

It would be great to have any way to export a Tvpaint project to a PSD file with the same layer composition.

For those cases when you want to make the clean up or color with photoshop, but you still want to animate in tvpaint
Attachments
tvp to psd video.jpg
D.T. Nethery

Re: Tvp to PSD video layers

Post by D.T. Nethery »

condepablo wrote: 09 Feb 2021, 01:53 It would be great to have any way to export a Tvpaint project to a PSD file with the same layer composition.

For those cases when you want to make the clean up or color with photoshop, but you still want to animate in tvpaint
Well, for me, the idea of giving up all the ease-of-use in TVPaint to do clean-up in Photoshop sounds like a big step backwards, but if that's something you want to do it seems like it could be feasible , because there already exists the Import script to take TVPaint scenes into Adobe After Effects with the exposures and layering intact. Perhaps some clever person who understands scripting could come up with a method to do this with TVPaint to Photoshop ?

I'm curious what you find to be advantageous about animating in TVPaint , but cleaning-up in Photoshop ? I find the animation timeline in Photoshop very awkward to use compared to TVPaint. For example , there does not seem to be a way to bookmark or image mark (like in TVPaint) only the key frames and flip between only those key frames while skipping all the frames inbetween ? That's an essential feature to draw precise clean-up keys with accurate volume and line quality control. (also, as far as I know, Photoshop has no equivalent to TVPaint's "shift-and-trace" off pegs function) Even the very useful plug-in for Photoshop called 'Animator's Tool Bar Pro' which makes the PS animation timeline somewhat more usable doesn't have that feature. (yet ... I think the creator of Animator's Tool Bar Pro may be trying to add that feature, based on some emails I've exchanged with him)

One reason I can think of for wanting to do clean-up in Photoshop is to take advantage of specific Photoshop brushes. It seems to me that it would be more helpful to be able to import PS brushes to TVPaint (or have a reliable, easy-to-use method of accurately recreating a PS brush in TVPaint) so if the user wanted a specific sort of line quality that could only be achieved with a specific PS brush, they could use that brush (or a faithful recreation of that brush) in TVPaint. (for example , see: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=14040 )

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
condepablo

Post by condepablo »

Hi D.T Nethery.

"take advantage of specific Photoshop brushes" thats the reasson. there is no way to make tvpaint work like photoshop when we are talking about brushes. bealive me, I tried.

if you chek the "Kyle´s brush" for example, it has an amazing behaviour. photoshop has dual brushes, and a lot more of propierties than tvpaint.
but for animation of course, its one of the worst.

thats why I would like to mix them and use the best of each soft
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

condepablo wrote: 09 Feb 2021, 17:55
if you check the "Kyle´s brush" for example
Which one ? (there are hundreds of PS brushes by Kyle Webster) . What's the look to the line quality you're trying to achieve ?

condepablo

Post by condepablo »

I Atacched one frame I made with photoshop, and cant find the same expression in any tvpaint ink brush.
please take a close look, in detail you can see a lot of expresivity in the irregular edges.
an here is a video showing the behavior of some kyle brushes: https://www.dropbox.com/s/q9j3748wg27eq ... s.mkv?dl=0

that is just a quick example. I take the time to explore both tvp and ps, and for far, the photoshop brushes are more powerfuls.
but of course, for animation is the opposite. photoshop is the worst.

thats why, I would like to can work with the best of each soft
Attachments
Eloise carta - 02.jpg
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

This can quite easily be done in TVP with an animated brush. About 10 - 30 frames with blobs in different sizes, animation and rotation set to random, size set to pressure.
TVP 10.0.18 and 11.0 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
TVP 11.0 and 11.7 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
TVP 11.7 Mac Mini M2pro 32GB OS 13.5
Peter Wassink

Post by Peter Wassink »

I agree this line style can be approximated very well.
But its not necessarily that easy.
There are many ways to approach this, i'd also go for an animbrush i would probably take more frames and connect animation to pressure, but to get the right feel can take a lot of iterations.
Peter Wassink - 2D animator
• PC: Win11/64 Pro - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core - 64Gb RAM
• laptop: Win10/64 Pro - i7-4600@2.1 GHz - 16Gb RAM
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

condepablo wrote: 11 Feb 2021, 00:04 I Atacched one frame I made with photoshop, and cant find the same expression in any tvpaint ink brush.
please take a close look, in detail you can see a lot of expresivity in the irregular edges.
an here is a video showing the behavior of some kyle brushes: https://www.dropbox.com/s/q9j3748wg27eq ... s.mkv?dl=0
Thanks, I understand about the behavior of Kyle's brushes in Photoshop. What I meant was , which specific "Kyle's Brush" are you trying to replicate to get the clean-up line quality you desire ? (what's the name of the brush , which of the brush packs is it found in ?)

The movie you uploaded to Dropbox shows a few different Kyle Webster brushes being tested , but they don't look like the brush used for the image you uploaded. Which of Kyle's brushes did you use for this image ? Maybe if we know which brush it is, we can help you replicate it in TVPaint. I don't know if the export from TVPaint to Photoshop video layers is going to be something you will see any time soon (it all depends on if someone is willing to undertake the task to write a script to do it). I think it is more likely that the line quality you show in your image could be reproduced in a TVPaint custom brush.

Just to be clear: are the breaks in the line part of the behavior of this brush or do the breaks in the line indicate where you stopped and started a new stroke ?
(in other words , when you draw a continuous stroke , does the brush create the breaks in the line at random ?)
Eloise carta - 02.jpg
Eloise carta - 02.jpg (34.19 KiB) Viewed 17816 times
Which one of Kyle's Brushes (a few shown here) are you using to get the line quality shown above ?
A few of Kyles Brushes.jpg

condepablo

Post by condepablo »

Men you are the best!

Here is the brush I use for the clean up: https://www.dropbox.com/s/l2ccdyzf2s7ku ... p.abr?dl=0

(I dont remember his original name in the kyle´s brush pack)
if you explore a little bit you will see how dynamic it is, I tried to create something like that on tvp, but I couldn't. Maybe a more experienced user could.
Just to be clear: are the breaks in the line part of the behavior of this brush or do the breaks in the line indicate where you stopped and started a new stroke ?
(in other words , when you draw a continuous stroke , does the brush create the breaks in the line at random ?)
I stop and started a new stroke.

It would be great to get something similar in tvp so I dont need to use ps for the task, of course!

but still, for other projects it would be nice to have that tvp/psd compatibility.
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

condepablo wrote: 14 Feb 2021, 21:28
Here is the brush I use for the clean up: https://www.dropbox.com/s/l2ccdyzf2s7ku ... p.abr?dl=0

I stop and started a new stroke.
Ok, good, now we know what you want the brush to look like. Also good to know that you're creating the breaks in the line by starting and stopping a stroke (because if that was a characteristic of the brush, to create a random broken line stroke, it could be more difficult to reproduce that behaviour , I think) . Other people here who are more skilled in creating Custom Brushes in TVPaint could look at the brush you uploaded and assess whether it could be replicated in TVPaint.

Have you tried out this one that Chad Essley made called Wiggly Nib ? It has characteristics that are similar to the PS brush you like. Perhaps with some fine-tuning it could get the results you want ?

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=8981&start=15#p82489

Two more posted in that same thread are brushes that Fabrice Debarge made for David Fine , which he named David Fine Ink and David Fine:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=8981&start=15#p82516

Try downloading those and see if you can get them to do what you want, like the Kyle's ink brush.

I've put together those pens along with a few others I've found over the years on the forum, into a Custom Panel. It's attached if you would like to download it and see if any of these are suitable for your needs. (and you can , of course, adjust them by tweaking the various custom brush parameters.)

condepablo wrote: 14 Feb 2021, 21:28 it would be nice to have that tvp/psd compatibility.
I quite agree , but I think that may be a long-term goal (to import .abr format brushes) for the next version of TVPaint. In the short term with the current TVPaint 11.5 creating new brushes or adapting existing ones like Chad's "Wiggly Nib" might be a solution.
Attachments
Ink Pens Custom Panel.tvpx
(20.05 MiB) Downloaded 946 times

Svengali

Post by Svengali »

Another suggestion for customizing brushes: Experiment with the Profile Editor curve for SIZE. zigzagging the value for multiple Y points along the curve can vary the line thickness in interesting ways based on Pressure.
Profile Size - Y axis.png
Profile Size - Y axis.png (20.27 KiB) Viewed 17704 times
sven
TVP Pro 11.0.10-64bit Win10 - 64GB ram -2TB HHD - 256GB SSD - Wacom Cintiq 16, driver 6.3.41-1
Android Tablet: rel. 11, Samsung Galaxy Note10.1 - 32GB with microSD 32GB
Android Tablet: rel. 11.5, Samsung Galaxy Tab S7plus - 128GB with microSD 64GB
condepablo

Post by condepablo »

Hi there! Nethery, thanks a lot for the support. I was doing some test with the brushes you provide, and making some tweaks on the settings and I came with something pretty useful. its not the same, still the ps brush has a more fluid react, but its a excelent alternative to avoid use ps for clean up.

here is what I did with tvp. and share the tvpaint brush.

im very happy, thank you again!

p.d: thanks svengali too for the tip

p.d: by the way, if you are interesting in the project, here is what I have online so far: https://www.artstation.com/condepablo/albums/1847355
Attachments
Eloise carta TVP BRUSH.jpg
a tale for liz brush.tvpx
(529 KiB) Downloaded 773 times
wreckedlemon

Post by wreckedlemon »

condepablo wrote: 09 Feb 2021, 17:55 Hi D.T Nethery.

"take advantage of specific Photoshop brushes" thats the reasson. there is no way to make tvpaint work like photoshop when we are talking about brushes. bealive me, I tried.

if you chek the "Kyle´s brush" for example, it has an amazing behaviour. photoshop has dual brushes, and a lot more of propierties than tvpaint.
but for animation of course, its one of the worst.

thats why I would like to mix them and use the best of each soft
This would be handy. Maybe a script like the after effects script?
Zig

Desktop: TVP Pro 11.5 Windows 10 with Wacom Cintiq 16 Pro.
Android Tablet: rel. 11.5, Samsung Galaxy Tab S7plus - 256gb. One UI 2 Point something ;)

www.diaryofshortdisturbances.blog