Creating Aura transparent backgrounds for use in VT5

You got a problem with Mirage or Aura ? Tell us here.
randyb

Creating Aura transparent backgrounds for use in VT5

Post by randyb »

I apologize if this topic has been covered. I searched and couldn't find an answer to our specific issue. We are total newbies. We are trying to create transparent backgrounds with a visible foreground image (brush) in Aura 2.7 that we can than use as overlays in VT5. It appears the background is transparent by default in Aura but when we try and use the graphic in the CG module or in a DDR the background is visible. We are trying to create over the shoulder graphics without a background and have floundered around for a couple of weeks. If someone could give us the answer or point to a step by step process online that would be great.

Thanks.

RandyB
Jefferson High School
Lafayette, IN.
Paul Fierlinger

Re: Creating Aura transparent backgrounds for use in VT5

Post by Paul Fierlinger »

Aura 2.7 is buried in my memory but there is a way to turn off the background to None (I think it's at the bottom left of the layers panel, just like it is now. It'll look like the background has turned black but that's just the Aura color of limbo. If this won't work, someone with better memory than I have will be here in a minute. Or two.
Paul
http://www.slocumfilm.com
Desktop PC Win10-Pro -64 bit OS; 32.0 GB RAM
Processor: i7-2600 CPU@3.40GHz
AMD FirePro V7900; Intuos4 Wacom tablet
randyb

Post by randyb »

Thanks Paul. It appears the backgrounds are indeed transparent in aura- but we are running into the problem when we try to use that graphic in VT5- either using a key effect with the DDR or with the CG. Those toaster modules don't seem to be able to see the transparent background. I'm guessing it is a simple fix- which for us seems to be the worst kind!''

RandyB
Paul Fierlinger

Have you contacted NewTech, they still carry Aura?
Paul
randyb

Post by randyb »

Yes, it came bundled with our VT5. I haven't spoken to anyone but have the question posted on their forum- with 90+ views but no answer. We continue to experiment and hope we will stumble across the answer soon.
Paul Fierlinger

So what format are you exporting in? A TIFF, or TARGA? There has to be a way to determine if it has an alpha channel, no?
Paul
randyb

Post by randyb »

We figured it out. While Aura automatically creates a transparent background- you need to create a stamp/brush out of the object you cut out and then save both layers as a PNG file. If there are other ways to do it I don't know, but this is consistently working for us. The suggestion to try different file types got us experimenting more and we figured it out. Thanks!
Paul Fierlinger

Glad to be at least a little helpful. Are you guys still using the Amiga? I need a complete mental picture of you. :)
Paul
randyb

Post by randyb »

Amiga!? Ha, that's a good one. No, sorry. We're using a very fast PC running Windows 7.
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

So, why are you using an old software like Aura and don't upgrade it ? :mrgreen:

(Paul : I don't remember Aura was on Amiga by the way ... ?)
Paul Fierlinger

Elodie wrote:So, why are you using an old software like Aura and don't upgrade it ? :mrgreen:

(Paul : I don't remember Aura was on Amiga by the way ... ?)
Ah... my selective memory; I used to love D-Paint and mourned the sinking of the Aura and consequent drowning of D-Paint. But a couple of years later someone told me that D-Paint now exists on the PC platform and that it is renamed to Aura... and sure enough, it even looked like an improved D-Paint on first sight and I bought it without testing (I think it was $ 600 and had just one layer. It was bundled with NewTech, just like D-Paint was with Flyer.) I had long ago learned that Aura was not to be confused with D-Paint but that never stuck well in my memory; I needed to believe that I'm still working with the ever improving D-Paint. :|
Paul
randyb

Post by randyb »

>>>So, why are you using an old software like Aura and don't upgrade it ?

It came bundled with our NewTek Video Toaster hardware and software. We bought the VT5 only last year. I didn't realize Aura 2.7 was old software I guess. We use it as needed on the Toaster computer and pretty much use Photoshop for everything else. We have an iMac edit lab but the toaster which is used for our studio productions is a PC.

Randy