Stretch a frame to the left

Share your custom panels, brushes, papers... (you need to be registered to read posts in this section)
Paul Fierlinger

Re: Stretch a frame to the left

Post by Paul Fierlinger »

For me, I don't think a day goes by without needing to extend a layer, or all layers to the left. I think all that this means is that I draw paperlessly. I change the actions within a clip the way I change a drawing still while drawing it. There are many instances during which I need something to start sooner than I had originally thought, while leaving the layer, or a few layers connected with it, in sync somewhere in the middle. But otherwise I agree with Zigo that using Repeat/Exposure is pretty simple and still new enough for me to keep me happy with what I have for another few months. For a newbie it has to be a head scratcher though, and I sympathize with all the Boomslangs of the world, so I'd like to see a sprocket hole on the left too.
Paul
http://www.slocumfilm.com
Desktop PC Win10-Pro -64 bit OS; 32.0 GB RAM
Processor: i7-2600 CPU@3.40GHz
AMD FirePro V7900; Intuos4 Wacom tablet
ZigOtto

Post by ZigOtto »

Paul Fierlinger wrote:For me, I don't think a day goes by without needing to extend a layer, or all layers to the left. I think all that this means is that I draw paperlessly. I change the actions within a clip the way I change a drawing still while drawing it. There are many instances during which I need something to start sooner than I had originally thought, while leaving the layer, or a few layers connected with it, in sync somewhere in the middle. But otherwise I agree with Zigo that using Repeat/Exposure is pretty simple and still new enough for me to keep me happy with what I have for another few months. For a newbie it has to be a head scratcher though, and I sympathize with all the Boomslangs of the world, so I'd like to see a sprocket hole on the left too.
good synthesizing ! :wink:
Peter Wassink wrote: believe me.... this request Does deserve a big font!
as long as we have a workaround (Left-Handle: Repeat/Exposure, = 2 clics) which DOES the job,
I think this issue is not a big deal, (I mean not a "top-high-level priority"),
believe me (or not ...), our beloved dev. Team should have a LOT to do on the tvpa "next generation" stuff (v.10 or whatever its futur nickname),
and I prefer to imagine they are actually working on the next BIG-ONE, than resolving cosmetic issues on the "old but working" v9.x ... :mrgreen:
Paul Fierlinger

ZigOtto wrote: good synthesizing ! :wink:
Only Petazonians understand me...
Paul
ZigOtto

Post by ZigOtto »

Paul Fierlinger wrote:
although it took me few times for decoding your "sprocket hole", ... not a dirty thing at all :mrgreen: :arrow:
Paul Fierlinger

You remind me that the French used to have a unique 9 mm film format with just one sprocket hole in the middle of the film and no sprockets on the edges, enabling the maximum usage of 9 millimeters of projection space. Perhaps we could do almost the same and have just one sprocket hole to be pulled left or right.
Paul
malcooning

Post by malcooning »

I'm with Peter here.
I found myself very often needing the instance handle on the left side. People here mention that it's not useful for layers which start at frame 0 or 1, and it's true in that.
But what about all the layers which start at anything other than frame 0 or 1? the only way to extend it is with the layer handle, which brings up a dialogue, which then you need to click your choice, and then you need to recompute in order to have just one extended instance. whereby all this could have been spared with a simple draggable, flexible handle. It's only logical to have it there, and makes for a more consistent user experience (UX is a hot thing these days and should be observed with care).
malcooning

Post by malcooning »

Paul Fierlinger wrote:You remind me that the French used to have a unique 9 mm film format with just one sprocket hole in the middle of the film and no sprockets on the edges, enabling the maximum usage of 9 millimeters of projection space. Perhaps we could do almost the same and have just one sprocket hole to be pulled left or right.
interesting idea. So you place the handle between frames instead of in the frame?
It might actually be a more sensible, and minimal, evolution of the handles.
like, dragging left extends the right frame leftwards, and vice versa?
also, ctrl+dragging overwrites the existing frames, like we have now (and keeping layer timing intact)?
Paul Fierlinger

I think in TVP it has to be just a thin line between frames. The Pathe 9 mm film had a thick frame line between frames so there was room for a sprocket hole. I imagined that in our case the handle would sit at the top, just like it is now, only it would be placed in the center. This would signal that you can drag it left or right, but we don't even know if this is doable, or do we?
Paul
Peter Wassink

Post by Peter Wassink »

Paul Fierlinger wrote:
If only Petazonians could understand me...
:wink:
Peter Wassink - 2D animator
• PC: Win11/64 Pro - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core - 64Gb RAM
• laptop: Win10/64 Pro - i7-4600@2.1 GHz - 16Gb RAM
Paul Fierlinger

You'd have to look for one in the North. Zigo is a Southerner.
Paul
ZigOtto

Post by ZigOtto »

Paul Fierlinger wrote:You remind me that the French used to have a unique 9 mm film format with just one sprocket hole in the middle of the film and no sprockets on the edges, enabling the maximum usage of 9 millimeters of projection space.
ah .... the "Pathé-Baby", not 9mm but 9.5mm (Southerners like accuracy) :)
Paul Fierlinger wrote:... Perhaps we could do almost the same and have just one sprocket hole to be pulled left or right.
not a bad idea, banco for a mono-sprocket ! 8)
Peter Wassink wrote:... If only Petazonians could understand me... :wink:
of course I undertand you too, northern brother ! :wink:
Paul Fierlinger

I once had the Pathe and stupidly threw it away because the film stock wasn't made anymore. But it was a really quirky idea; the camera could be converted into a projector -- one of those gadgets that sounds like a good idea but turned out to be impractical. People often needed to project something but still had film in the camera.
Paul