Ten Minute Drawing Techniques Painting Tutorials - Upd. Sep9

Share your custom panels, brushes, papers... (you need to be registered to read posts in this section)
masterchief

Re: Ten Minute Drawing Techniques Painting Tutorials - Upd. Jun6

Post by masterchief »

Mark,

I would like to be able to download your videos and watch them at my leisure rather than having to go to youtube for them. You ever consider gnomonology or gnomononline???? Nobody there creating TVP videos as of yet, as far as I know.

regards,
William
TVPaint Animation Pro v11
ematecki
Site Admin

Post by ematecki »

Use this to download youtube videos (and also from other video sharing sites) :

http://keepvid.com/
Quicktime is DEAD. Get over it and move on !
lemec

Post by lemec »

ematecki wrote:Use this to download youtube videos (and also from other video sharing sites) :

http://keepvid.com/
Yes! Keepvid is awesome for that. You might also want to get Media Player Classic to be able to watch the FLV files you get from keepvid.
(Win7x64, TVP Pro 11 32-bit)
masterchief

Post by masterchief »

Eric,

THANK YOU!

regards,
William
Svengali

Post by Svengali »

Masterchief,

If you are using Firefox, there is also DownLoadHelper, a free add-on that will let you capture youtube as .flv files:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3006

Perhaps you will need a .flv viewer to watch them after download. A simple free .flv viewer can be downloaded here:
http://www.download.com/FLV-Player/3000 ... 67081.html

Or, if you have the VideoLan VLC player, that will work too.

Sven
Fabrice

Post by Fabrice »

Oh don't get me wrong! there is nothing wrong with teachers! I've had some very awesome teachers. I think those who understand the quote also understand how it should be applied. I would just rather be given my Drama lessons from a seasoned Broadway professional, than some ninth grade drama coach who has never set foot on stage. If I was a tweaker I'd rather be counseled by a confidant who has already gone through the darkness and lived to tell about it. If I wanted to be a successful animator I'd go to Paul for help. There are some decent and very informative threads here, although a little less talk and a little more drawing could enhance your drawing skills, and who knows you may gain a better understanding of proportions.
I just wanted to add my 2 cent :

I spent one week with Mark during the Annecy festival and he was drawing everytime it was possible : in the Airport, in the Taxi, on the booth during the demos, in the train, in the station when waiting for the train, .... (TabletPC, paper, DS !) No doubt he is not posting all his drawing here, there would be probably too much !

Mark teached me that mastering the drawing requires a constant amount of work, everyday. Very good lesson :)
Fabrice Debarge
lemec

Post by lemec »

masterchief

Re: Ten Minute Drawing Techniques Painting Tutorials - Upd. Sep9

Post by masterchief »

Mandalaholic,

are you suggesting that lemec has not created anything professionally for a production, a client, an actual customer? I would like to know.. really. Well, for one he has created commercial plugins for TVP that I find very professional. I personally feel that he is gifted. But you didnt ask me, right? I will go back down in the basement now... I hear faint howlings, I must feed the beast.

regards,
William
lemec

Post by lemec »

Huh? What? Aw shucks it looks like I missed something totally entertaining! :D

EDIT: Oh wait, after scrolling back a few pages it turned out to be old news.
masterchief

Post by masterchief »

I have been away from the forums for a while...

Mark,
I ended up using the FreeHand Fill tool in behind mode to select and fill desired image... then shifted to FloodFill tool and right-click.. in your coloring video I see you using custom toolbar located above your color palette. care to share good buddy????

regards,
William
lemec

Post by lemec »

The FillPanel+FX.zip file contains a .tvpx custom panel and the FX stack bin for the post-process glow + colour adjustment.
Attachments
This is the finished, coloured image.
This is the finished, coloured image.
hnm_col.jpg (58.57 KiB) Viewed 2383 times
FillPanel+FX.zip
(16.34 KiB) Downloaded 239 times
IceDelight

Post by IceDelight »

Great peace of work lemec. I'm going to watch the video now.

[[ PS- I'm Oly on your messenger by the way. Need to speak to you next time you're online about how to install some custom plugins I bought from you. I got a new pc so I need to re-install everything ]]
ZigOtto

Post by ZigOtto »

nice Colouring Tut Mark, and very substantial ! :D
your "Tag technology" is clever indeed,
I personnaly used the Stencil layers, (as many as needed) to get colouring (painting-like) on animation,
your way (color Tags on a Tag layer) could work as well,
and requires less layers (good point), but more attention too.
:wink:
lemec

Post by lemec »

"Tagging" requires a fair bit of preparation. Large shapes, small details and sharp crevices must be separated for individual shading. The reason I never put two "same" colours together on the 'tag' layer is that sometimes there are gaps in lines intended to separate two distinct features, and these gaps are revealed during the filling process. You probably saw me putting in "stop-gaps" now and then. I like doing things this way because sometimes a hard line border doesn't look so good on areas that are just slightly wrinkled.

The reason I don't use separate layers for each element is because of the occasional topological oddity where an object can be simultaneously behind and in front of another object - like if you had a person using a hula-hoop. That'd require three layers - back part of the hoop, person, front part of the hoop. After a while it gets kind of complex remembering which layer you're on or which layer's supposed to hold a particular set of elements. I guess that's why TVP has the Shake function, but there's still the logistics of having to switch from one layer to the next and turn on and off the stencils - but that could be automated to a great degree with the custom panels buttons.

I think the ideal situation would be to have a setting that makes the "magic wand" selection tool work on underlying layers - similarly to how the fill tool works. Then a person can select regions from the underlying tag layer without having to switch layers at all. I'm still finding ways to adapt this method to be even faster - for now it seems best for illustration rather than animation.
ZigOtto

Post by ZigOtto »

lemec wrote:... I think the ideal situation would be to have a setting that makes the "magic wand" selection tool work on underlying layers - similarly to how the fill tool works. Then a person can select regions from the underlying tag layer without having to switch layers at all.
that was one of my old requests (Apr 13, 2008)
ZigOtto wrote:...
- Tool: Select (Magic Wand), why not a Source option as we have in Filling Shape :
Source = Layer/Front/Back/Display
hope it will come, one day ... :wink:
Last edited by ZigOtto on 16 Feb 2009, 12:57, edited 1 time in total.