Ink Brushes Topic is solved

Share your custom panels, brushes, papers... (you need to be registered to read posts in this section)
D.T. Nethery

Re: Ink Brushes

Post by D.T. Nethery »

CartoonMonkey wrote: 05 Apr 2022, 19:54 I'll try my hand at making a brush for you a bit later tonight...

I'm interested to see what you come up with, Chad.

I haven't had too much success with duplicating Photoshop brushes. The main thing is that I don't quite understand how to translate the Photoshop brush setting parameters into the equivalent brush parameters in TVPaint, for example "shape dynamics" and "dual brush" .

Screen Shot 2022-04-07 at 9.45.43 AM.jpg
Screen Shot 2022-04-07 at 9.45.43 AM.jpg (51.21 KiB) Viewed 15698 times

Fortunately the pre-existing ink brushes that have been posted here on the TVPaint Forum do what I need. Including YOURS called "Perfect Ink" , which is part of your Drawing Media brush set . I had intended to mention that one to the original poster, Anim-Illustrate , because I like those brushes very much, too. https://www.tvpaint.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=5160

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
Peter Wassink

Post by Peter Wassink »

What also can help a lot to make the line more irregular is the use of paper.

in animation this can sometimes become noticeable (Because the paper is the same on all frames)
but for storyboarding it should work fine and can help you achieve the look you are after.
Peter Wassink - 2D animator
• PC: Win11/64 Pro - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core - 64Gb RAM
• laptop: Win10/64 Pro - i7-4600@2.1 GHz - 16Gb RAM
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Peter Wassink wrote: 07 Apr 2022, 16:45 What also can help a lot to make the line more irregular is the use of paper.
Yes, the paper texture is very useful.

This actually reminds me of a long-standing question I have about using Paper as part of a custom brush tool
(maybe this question needs to be addressed to the developers because perhaps it is a bug? )

I notice that when I use a custom brush which makes use of the Paper texture , the Paper texture remains active after I deselect the custom brush and return to using a regular pen tool that does not have any texture. Is this normal behavior or should the Paper be turned off after I deselect the custom brush ?

It is not hard to turn off the Paper, but sometimes I forget to turn it off and it results in me drawing a stroke or two before I notice that paper is still active, so I have to undo and redraw the stroke(s).
I think the behavior should be that when a custom brush (which uses Paper) is deselected then the Paper texture should be automatically deactivated.
Paper remains activated after custom tool is deselected.jpg

Svengali

Post by Svengali »

Dave, I think there was a halfhearted attempt to rectify the problem when a grab current tool command creates a new custom brush, it began automatically adding the command: tv_paper Active 0, but that only works for that created tool button.

So +1 for your suggestion to somehow automatically deactivate paper when any custom brush or other tool using paper, auto-deselects paper.
TVP Pro 11.0.10-64bit Win10 - 64GB ram -2TB HHD - 256GB SSD - Wacom Cintiq 16, driver 6.3.41-1
Android Tablet: rel. 11, Samsung Galaxy Note10.1 - 32GB with microSD 32GB
Android Tablet: rel. 11.5, Samsung Galaxy Tab S7plus - 128GB with microSD 64GB
Anim-Illustrate

Post by Anim-Illustrate »

D.T. Nethery wrote: 05 Apr 2022, 15:46 I'm curious about your brush settings for the J.P. Vine "Inky Large" brush. I found the J.P. Vine brush set and added it to Photoshop. However when I draw strokes with the J.P. Vine "Inky Large" brush I don't get the same amount of line breakup as you show on your example. Are your brush settings different than the ones shown below ?

Your example of strokes made with the J.P. Vine "Inky Large" brush -
jpvine_inkylarge_1.JPG

My results with the "Inky Large" brush -
JPVine-Inky_Large_PS_Brush.jpg
(click image to view full size)

If I use very quick, light strokes I can get the line break up.
Screen Shot 2022-04-05 at 9.33.35 AM.jpg
(click image to view full size)
Hey D.T. Nethery.

Coming from paper and pencil I am usually missing the resistance of paper while animating and drawing on "glass".

So in most of my "drawing" /"Animation" software's, I put the Wacom Cintique settings on the "Grip pen" to "Firm". (Changing it if I color stuff).

I also, way back bought a "Classic pen" which is sometimes even better for me b´cause of the lack of sensitivity.

I am only doing lines for animation so it does not have to look like a Renoir..Or be 300 or more dpi... Just like if I scan clean up drawings, I usually do not go past 100dpi. No need to.

My brain gets confused of most of the brush behaviors out there. Sorry I am like this! :D :D

So try to set your Wacom pen settings to "firm" and see if it makes a difference.
Personally I only use J.P. Vines Brushes for most of my works. They just work for what I need.

I have attached a pic of my settings.
Attachments
inkybrush.JPG
inkybrush.JPG (74.58 KiB) Viewed 15685 times
Tvpaint 10,5,7 pro 64 user.
Anim-Illustrate

Hey D.T. Nethery.

Coming from paper and pencil I am usually missing the resistance of paper while animating and drawing on "glass".

So in most of my "drawing" /"Animation" software's, I put the Wacom Cintique settings on the "Grip pen" to "Firm". (Changing it if I color stuff).

I also, way back bought a "Classic pen" which is sometimes even better for me b´cause of the lack of sensitivity.

I am only doing lines for animation so it does not have to look like a Renoir..Or be 300 or more dpi... Just like if I scan clean up drawings, I usually do not go past 100dpi. No need to.

My brain gets confused of most of the brush behaviors out there. Sorry I am like this! :D :D

So try to set your Wacom pen settings to "firm" and see if it makes a difference.
Personally I only use J.P. Vines Brushes for most of my works. They just work for what I need.

Anim-Illustrate

CartoonMonkey wrote: 05 Apr 2022, 19:54 I'll try my hand at making a brush for you a bit later tonight...
CartoonMonkey!

Just had a look at your "Drawingmedia"pack.

Very cool. Thanks 4 that!.. :)

A.
Anim-Illustrate

I just tried out "Cartoonmonkey´s" brushset.

Holy moly!! it is very close to what I need in this case.

Only thing compare to the PS brush is that it is very rough on the edges. The PS brush has a more soft look to it.

But I guess thats why the name. :) :)

A.
Attachments
Drwingmedia-Rough pencil.JPG
Drwingmedia-Rough pencil.JPG (51.6 KiB) Viewed 15681 times
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Anim-Illustrate wrote: 08 Apr 2022, 02:39
It seems we have a similar background. I started working in traditional animation in 1984 and it was around late 2005 before I ever used a computer to do any artwork. (I started with 'Mirage' aka TVPaint 7). My goal is always to closely replicate the feel of working on paper.
Anim-Illustrate wrote: 08 Apr 2022, 02:39 So in most of my "drawing" /"Animation" software's, I put the Wacom Cintique settings on the "Grip pen" to "Firm". (Changing it if I color stuff).

Thanks for the tip on the pen settings. I'll try the J.P. Vine brushes with the Wacom pen set to firm.

I'm not good with customizing brush settings either , so that's why I'm interested to see what Cartoon Monkey comes up with as far as replicating the J.P. Vine PS brush in TVPaint.

CartoonMonkey

Post by CartoonMonkey »

Also try out the various antialias settings... from low to high. Might make a difference. Which brush do you like the most? Maybe I can customize it.
C
Anim-Illustrate

CartoonMonkey wrote: 08 Apr 2022, 08:25 Also try out the various antialias settings... from low to high. Might make a difference. Which brush do you like the most? Maybe I can customize it.
C
If you ask me!??..

Rough Pencil for this particular film is what I like and what I think comes closes to the one I use in PS.

All the best.
A.
Anim-Illustrate

CartoonMonkey !?

Allow me to ask.

Is there a way to merge "Perfect-Ink" and "Rough Pencil" from your "Drawing Media V01" Brush invention?

So "Rough Pencil" is getting this smooth+soft look but still with the "Crazyness" (lack of better wording) ?

All the best have a great weekend :)

A.
Attachments
Drwingmedia-Rough pencil+Perfectink.JPG
Drwingmedia-Rough pencil+Perfectink.JPG (39 KiB) Viewed 15656 times
CartoonMonkey

Post by CartoonMonkey »

Give these a try. Maybe they might be closer to what you're after.
C
Photo-Like.png
Photo-Like.tvpx
(613.5 KiB) Downloaded 479 times
Anim-Illustrate

CartoonMonkey

This is cool.

Thanks a lot!!

It is appreciated!

All the best

A.
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

CartoonMonkey wrote: 09 Apr 2022, 07:50 Give these a try. Maybe they might be closer to what you're after.
C
Photo-Like.png
Photo-Like.tvpx
Nice ink brushes ! Thank you.