Need peg-holes project samples

Share your custom panels, brushes, papers... (you need to be registered to read posts in this section)
Xavier

Need peg-holes project samples

Post by Xavier »

Hi,

For those who still animate on paper, could you please share some sample projects before the automatic re-alignment of the peg-holes by TVPaint ?

I'd like to test the feature, especially with more than two peg-holes :)

Thanks in advance !!!
D.T. Nethery

Re: Need peg-holes project samples

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Hi , Xavier -

I do have some examples of scanned animation drawings with peg holes I could send you for testing purposes. I used these for training purposes in some of the online classes I have taught , to show the students how to use the Peg Hole Registration tool.

Unfortunately I don't have anything that is copyright-free . The examples I have are of Disney characters or other copyrighted characters.
So the images could be used for your internal testing purposes , but not for tutorials.

I could send you a couple of generic examples like animation of a Bouncing Ball and a Waving Flag which were drawn on paper , then scanned , which you
could use for testing purposes and you could also use them in a tutorial because they are not specific characters.

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
Xavier

Post by Xavier »

Oh that would be great !!! :D
Yes it's only for in-house testing, no tutorials. I'll take whatever you'd give, it's actually to validate the alignement algorithm so it does't have to be fancy.

Thanks a lot ! Send me a pm if you prefer to keep the files private :)
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Xavier wrote: 06 Nov 2020, 00:04 Oh that would be great !!! :D
Yes it's only for in-house testing, no tutorials. I'll take whatever you'd give, it's actually to validate the alignement algorithm so it does't have to be fancy.

Thanks a lot ! Send me a pm if you prefer to keep the files private :)
Ok, I will send you the files via PM.

D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

I wanted to mention the new Peg Holes Registration in TVPaint 11.5 is working fine. I'm glad you added the feature to specify the number of peg holes to register, so it works better with either the standard 3-hole Acme Pegs (one round peg, two oblong pegs) or , a two round peg system or three round peg system.
TVPaint Peg Hole Registration 3 pegs.jpg
TVPaint Peg Hole Registration 3 pegs.jpg (47.33 KiB) Viewed 5721 times
TVPaint Peg Hole Registration 2 pegs.jpg
TVPaint Peg Hole Registration 2 pegs.jpg (41.92 KiB) Viewed 5721 times

Xavier

Post by Xavier »

Thanks, it's nice to get such feedback :)

Also be aware that the more peg hole markers you register, the slower the algorithm will be. I guess that 3 instead of 2 will be fine anyway, but if you increase to 8 there is a risk of slowliness ^^
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Xavier wrote: 31 Dec 2020, 17:04 Thanks, it's nice to get such feedback :)

Also be aware that the more peg hole markers you register, the slower the algorithm will be. I guess that 3 instead of 2 will be fine anyway, but if you increase to 8 there is a risk of slowliness ^^

I can't foresee ever needing more than three pegs in most cases. Almost all animation done on paper uses the industry-standard "Acme" peg system (two round hole or three round hole registration systems are popular with students , because it's much less expensive to obtain a two-hole or three-hole paper punch than the specialized Acme punch). On standard 12 field paper (12.5" x 10.5") there are always three pegs (one round peg in the center , surrounded by the oblong pegs on either side) , but on larger size 16 field paper (16.5" x 13.5") it usually has an extra round hole on either side for keeping the paper securely on the pegs , so at most there would be five peg holes to register , but I think three is sufficient to maintain steady registration.

12 Field paper - 3 holes:

16 Field paper - 5 holes:

D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Another new feature I enjoy in TVPaint 11.5 (although I think it actually made it's debut in version 11.0.9 ) is the Export storyboard to PDF with only 1 storyboard panel (clip) per page. This is a feature I had wanted to have for quite some time (and a number of colleagues have mentioned it to me as something they would like to have) because believe it or not there are still some of us oldtimers who like to pin up our storyboards for display and for "pitching" the storyboards to a group. Being able to export to PDF and print out only one storyboard panel per page means the storyboards can be displayed at full size when pinned up on a corkboard for presentation.

1 Storyboard Panel (clip) per page -
Export 1 Storyboard Panel (Clip) Per Page.jpg
instead of this presentation with multiple panels per page-
Screen Shot 2020-12-31 at 11.15.06 AM.jpg
"Pitching a storyboard" -
Storyboards pinned up for presentation.png
Storyboards displayed on large corkboards -
Storyboards.jpg
Storyboards.jpg (60.66 KiB) Viewed 5710 times

Xavier

Post by Xavier »

D.T. Nethery wrote: 31 Dec 2020, 17:29 I can't foresee ever needing more than three pegs in most cases. Almost all animation done on paper uses the industry-standard "Acme" peg system (two round hole or three round hole registration systems are popular with students , because it's much less expensive to obtain a two-hole or three-hole paper punch than the specialized Acme punch). On standard 12 field paper (12.5" x 10.5") there are always three pegs (one round peg in the center , surrounded by the oblong pegs on either side) , but on larger size 16 field paper (16.5" x 13.5") it usually has an extra round hole on either side for keeping the paper securely on the pegs , so at most there would be five peg holes to register , but I think three is sufficient to maintain steady registration.
Sorry, I can't share my test project because it uses undisclosable elements. But it's interesting to notice how flexible the peg-hole alignment algorithm can be : you can mark any element that repeats in a blank area of the sheets (at the same position of cours), like a letter or even the corner of a frame.

Anyway, I'm glad that we manage to suit your needs. It's all that matters ! :mrgreen:
Xavier

Post by Xavier »

Nice photos :)