exporting for finishing of in other software?

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
RjLikesToDraw

Re: exporting for finishing of in other software?

Post by RjLikesToDraw »

This thread has been really interesting. Thanks to it, I've gained acess to the Toei DXS program! I'm going to be forced to do finishing work in Harmony but my love is only to TVPaint so I'd love to do the animation in TVP first because for me it's so much quicker, and I can make much more natural line-art than I can in Harmony. This thread picked back up a bit in 2020, but it's a shame it kind of tapered off. Have there been any updates to the for a transfer of at least the line art?

It would be easy to do the PNG method if you had a few frames, but often documents have hundreds of drawings which would take a few hours to reformat for a trace-over. There's got to be a faster way. Time is money after all. I really think TVP should have native support with Animate, CSP and Harmony at least.
cgmodeler

Post by cgmodeler »

You can always write a script that works between apps (as long as they support pixels), you can parse the json that tvpaint exports onto another app importer. We process 3D renders from 3dsmax onto tvpaint via a custom script, then from tvp to AE using the normal TVP exporter.
www.cocoalopez.com
vimeo / 156794487
Desktop: TVP Pro 11.0.8 - 64bit Win 7 x64 48GB RAM - GTX1070 - Cintiq 27QHD Driver 6.3.29
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

RjLikesToDraw wrote: 10 Apr 2022, 09:30 This thread has been really interesting. Thanks to it, I've gained acess to the Toei DXS program! I'm going to be forced to do finishing work in Harmony but my love is only to TVPaint so I'd love to do the animation in TVP first because for me it's so much quicker, and I can make much more natural line-art than I can in Harmony. This thread picked back up a bit in 2020, but it's a shame it kind of tapered off. Have there been any updates to the for a transfer of at least the line art?

It would be easy to do the PNG method if you had a few frames, but often documents have hundreds of drawings which would take a few hours to reformat for a trace-over. There's got to be a faster way. Time is money after all. I really think TVP should have native support with Animate, CSP and Harmony at least.
Cardin Collins posted a script that will export layers (with layer order and exposures intact) from TVPaint to Harmony:

https://www.tvpaint.com/forum/viewtopic ... 11&t=14067

(NOTE: there are actually two variations of the script posted in that topic; one that exports the layers with transparency , the other with no transparency)

It is based on the Rough Animation - to - Harmony export script. There are some things about the vectorization parameters that could use some additional tweaking , but it works. I tried it out when I still had a working license of Harmony when I was working on a studio gig where they paid the monthly fee for the license, but I don't currently have a working Harmony license , so I haven't been able to do any additional work with it. (not that I'm any sort of wiz with scripting. I can follow instructions and copy/paste lines in the script editor, but that's about the extent of my scripting skills)

The line art that is exported from TVPaint and imported/vectorized into Harmony is not editable after being imported, other than being able to add fill colors . but you can't really keep drawing on the imported layers. The imported layers are just the pixel line art from TVPaint that has been converted to a vector line. However, it would allow for finishing line art orginated in TVPaint in Harmony by coloring the frames and adding the advanced camera moves and FX that Harmony has in it's bag of tricks.

Potentially this should allow an animator who prefers to work in TVPaint to do Rough Animation and Clean-Up Animation in TVPaint , to take a scene to completion as far as final Clean-Up line , get it approved by the director , and then transfer it all to Harmony where it can move on through the production pipeline for Coloring and compositing with FX and the Backgrounds. The only fly in the ointment is if later on someone wants to make adjustments on the clean-up layers I think it would need to be done in TVPaint , then re-export the adjusted line art layers to Harmony.

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
RjLikesToDraw

Post by RjLikesToDraw »

D.T. Nethery wrote: 10 Apr 2022, 16:09
RjLikesToDraw wrote: 10 Apr 2022, 09:30 This thread has been really interesting. Thanks to it, I've gained acess to the Toei DXS program! I'm going to be forced to do finishing work in Harmony but my love is only to TVPaint so I'd love to do the animation in TVP first because for me it's so much quicker, and I can make much more natural line-art than I can in Harmony. This thread picked back up a bit in 2020, but it's a shame it kind of tapered off. Have there been any updates to the for a transfer of at least the line art?

Cardin Collins posted a script that will export layers (with layer order and exposures intact) from TVPaint to Harmony:

https://www.tvpaint.com/forum/viewtopic ... 11&t=14067

(NOTE: there are actually two variations of the script posted in that topic; one that exports the layers with transparency , the other with no transparency)

It is based on the Rough Animation - to - Harmony export script. There are some things about the vectorization parameters that could use some additional tweaking , but it works. I tried it out when I still had a working license of Harmony when I was working on a studio gig where they paid the monthly fee for the license, but I don't currently have a working Harmony license , so I haven't been able to do any additional work with it. (not that I'm any sort of wiz with scripting. I can follow instructions and copy/paste lines in the script editor, but that's about the extent of my scripting skills)

The line art that is exported from TVPaint and imported/vectorized into Harmony is not editable after being imported, other than being able to add fill colors . but you can't really keep drawing on the imported layers. The imported layers are just the pixel line art from TVPaint that has been converted to a vector line. However, it would allow for finishing line art orginated in TVPaint in Harmony by coloring the frames and adding the advanced camera moves and FX that Harmony has in it's bag of tricks.

Potentially this should allow an animator who prefers to work in TVPaint to do Rough Animation and Clean-Up Animation in TVPaint , to take a scene to completion as far as final Clean-Up line , get it approved by the director , and then transfer it all to Harmony where it can move on through the production pipeline for Coloring and compositing with FX and the Backgrounds. The only fly in the ointment is if later on someone wants to make adjustments on the clean-up layers I think it would need to be done in TVPaint , then re-export the adjusted line art layers to Harmony.
This stuff is crazy, thank you all so much. for the help!
Hironori Takagi

Post by Hironori Takagi »

I forgot to post the Import / Export XDTS panel on this forum as well.
https://forum.tvpaint.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=13449
I'm sorry if you have already found it.
D.T. Nethery wrote: 11 Jun 2020, 17:23
Hironori Takagi wrote: 10 Jun 2020, 03:20
so the distribution destination is the Japanese user forum, and the explanation video is Japanese Only.

ImportXDTS
https://forum-jp.tvpaint.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=500

ExportXDTS
https://forum-jp.tvpaint.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=512
I am interested in this . However, I don't know how to register for the Japanese user forum. If I'm not registered on the forum it is not possible to download attachments there.
TVPaint 11.7.2(Nov 14 2023), Windows11 Pro, HP Spectre x360 Convertible 14-ea0xxx / TVPaint 11.7.1(Dec 22 2022) Mac OS 11.6, Apple MacBookPro M1 2020
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Hironori Takagi wrote: 14 Apr 2022, 10:39 I forgot to post the Import / Export XDTS panel on this forum as well.
https://forum.tvpaint.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=13449
I'm sorry if you have already found it.

Thank you !

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1