Getting A Different Brush stroke Than Aaron Blaise Topic is solved

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
Nagarjuna Gupta

Getting A Different Brush stroke Than Aaron Blaise

Post by Nagarjuna Gupta »

Hello,
I recently bought TVPaint and watched Aaron's tutorial about it. He uses the in-built pencil and the one from the Tool Preset. However, I am getting a very different result from him, I have checked the exact settings and even the canvas resolution of course.
I am using an XP Pen 16 Pro on a Mac (32Gb Ram, 2.9Ghz, Radeon Vega 20, OS Sonoma) running the latest TvPaint.

I am confused and unable to understand if this is something only I am experiencing and something is wrong with my settings.
I would like to use the pencil the same way. So also, let me know how could I get that?

Thank you,
Nagarjuna
Attachments
My Pencil
My Pencil
Aaron's Pencil
Aaron's Pencil
D.T. Nethery

Re: Getting A Different Brush stroke Than Aaron Blaise

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Nagarjuna Gupta wrote: 17 Dec 2023, 15:55 Hello,
I recently bought TVPaint and watched Aaron's tutorial about it. He uses the in-built pencil and the one from the Tool Preset. However, I am getting a very different result from him, I have checked the exact settings and even the canvas resolution of course.
I am using an XP Pen 16 Pro on a Mac (32Gb Ram, 2.9Ghz, Radeon Vega 20, OS Sonoma) running the latest TvPaint.

I am confused and unable to understand if this is something only I am experiencing and something is wrong with my settings.
I would like to use the pencil the same way. So also, let me know how could I get that?

Thank you,
Nagarjuna
I don't know if it helps , but in comparing your screen shot to the screen shot from Aaron's tutorial, I noticed that you have the color set to full black R: 000, G: 000, B:000 , but Aaron's color is set to a middle grey R:132 G:132 B:132, making his lines look somewhat softer. Also, it looks like you have Line Smoothing enabled and he does not (but I don't know if that makes much of a difference?)

I wonder , too, if the screen resolution makes any difference to how the pencil line looks ? Is your XP Pen 16 Pro 1080p screen display resolution or it it higher ? I'm fairly sure Aaron uses a 27" Wacom Cintiq Pro . 27" Wacom has 3840 x 2160 screen display resolution. So the pencil tool set to size 10 on the 27" Wacom Cintiq may look different than same size 10 pencil on a 1080p screen ? I don't know if that should really make such a big difference to the resulting line quality. Sorry, I realize that's not much help.

I'm asking about the screen resolution on your XP Pen tablet because I am not that familiar with the XP Pen tablets and I notice there are different versions of XP Pen 16 : XPPen Artist 16 which has a 1920 x 1080 display resolution, and the other XPPen Artist Pro 16 TP which has 3840 x 2160 screen resolution. Is yours the Pro version with the 3840 x 2160 screen resolution ?
Screen Shot 2023-12-17 at 4.35.30 PM.png

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
Dean
Site Admin

Post by Dean »

Hello, in addition to David's lead, I would add that the Tool Preset pencils' order was modified in between some earlier v11 updates, so the pencil Aaron is using in the tutorial (dating back from v11.0.3) could be present under a different icon in your current version's Tool Preset panel.
Probably a vampire
Nagarjuna Gupta

Thank you, I have found out that it is similar to Aaron's brush just set to half the size. I have tweaked the brush to get a similar result. Thank you so much for helping out and suggesting.
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Nagarjuna Gupta wrote: 18 Dec 2023, 09:44 Thank you, I have found out that it is similar to Aaron's brush just set to half the size. I have tweaked the brush to get a similar result. Thank you so much for helping out and suggesting.
I'm glad to read that you found a solution that works for you. I think it is the way with most of the pen and pencil tools ... just keep fine tuning the adjustments to the standard tools until you get a drawing tool that "feels (and looks) right" to you , then save the tweaked brush in a Custom Panel named "My Favorite Brushes" or whatever you want to name it.

And of course, in the Contents Sharing forum many good custom pen and pencil tools have been posted over the years. https://www.tvpaint.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=11

Peter Wassink posted a nice set of drawing tools recently in this post: https://www.tvpaint.com/forum/viewtopic ... 37#p133737
The file is Drawing Tools.tvpx
Screen Shot 2023-12-18 at 9.49.16 AM.png
Screen Shot 2023-12-18 at 9.49.16 AM.png (53.08 KiB) Viewed 3445 times

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
Nagarjuna Gupta

D.T. Nethery wrote: 18 Dec 2023, 14:48
Nagarjuna Gupta wrote: 18 Dec 2023, 09:44 Thank you, I have found out that it is similar to Aaron's brush just set to half the size. I have tweaked the brush to get a similar result. Thank you so much for helping out and suggesting.
I'm glad to read that you found a solution that works for you. I think it is the way with most of the pen and pencil tools ... just keep fine tuning the adjustments to the standard tools until you get a drawing tool that "feels (and looks) right" to you , then save the tweaked brush in a Custom Panel named "My Favorite Brushes" or whatever you want to name it.

And of course, in the Contents Sharing forum many good custom pen and pencil tools have been posted over the years. https://www.tvpaint.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=11

Peter Wassink posted a nice set of drawing tools recently in this post: https://www.tvpaint.com/forum/viewtopic ... 37#p133737
The file is Drawing Tools.tvpx

Screen Shot 2023-12-18 at 9.49.16 AM.png
Thank you so much for sharing the tools and the people who have created these!! They are fantastic.