Recovering FX saved to FX Bin

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
D.T. Nethery

Recovering FX saved to FX Bin

Post by D.T. Nethery »

When I save FX to the Presets or the FX Bin in the FX Stack, where are those FX .bin files stored ? I have a bunch of them that I don't want to have to Export and Re-Load one at a time, but instead would like to find them in my old configuration so I can copy and paste them into my new configuration. (if that's even possible ?)

I don't where to find these saved FX .bin files.
Screen Shot 2022-04-09 at 5.08.10 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2022-04-09 at 5.08.29 PM.jpg

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
Svengali

Re: Recovering FX saved to FX Bin

Post by Svengali »

David,
I too have looked in vain for where the contents of the FX Preset list is stored with an eye towards organizing and storing the useful FX in a more permanent form.

I've resorted to loading each of the useful FX which populate the Preset list, then EXPORTING them under unique .bin file names in one or more FX subfolders in my main TVPaint folder where they can be IMPORTED and EXECUTED using GEORGE-scripted buttons.

I've concluded that the FX Preset list is most useful as an area for FX Stack design and testing when needed. Purging the FX Preset list of duplicates or FX that were only used once should be carried out weekly.

On a related note:
Over the years I've used a limited subset of the FX Stack processes for specific purposes and established through experimentation my own sets of rules for their construction and use. As it stands now, the Library of FX Procedures is at once very powerful AND very eccentric and fidgety to use. Examples:
1. Many of the FX are rigidly tied to a specific layer length and mustbe carefully redefined for something as simple as a change in the frame range or reused on a project of different dimensions.
2. Another problem of which I only recently became aware: editing of FXframe keys while the Speed Profile IS CHECKED becomes unpredictable/destructive to the original order of FXframe keys.
3. The "simple" process of cutting/copying/pasting FXframe keys must be done in a very specific way.
4. The FX Preset list is the only place I've seem where multiple-duplicate names (for FX Processes) can coexist, even though each version may contain very different FX Stack instructions!

(and the list goes on and on...)

Maybe there should be anotherTVPaint Forum category focusing explicitly on mysteries and methodologies of the FX Stack and suggested improvements.

Finally, while the rules, procedures and cautions for successful use of the FX Stack are troublesome, I find the resulting FX sequences can be powerful, creative and beautiful.

sven
TVP Pro 11.0.10-64bit Win10 - 64GB ram -2TB HHD - 256GB SSD - Wacom Cintiq 16, driver 6.3.41-1
Android Tablet: rel. 11, Samsung Galaxy Note10.1 - 32GB with microSD 32GB
Android Tablet: rel. 11.5, Samsung Galaxy Tab S7plus - 128GB with microSD 64GB
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Svengali wrote: 10 Apr 2022, 06:38
Maybe there should be another TVPaint Forum category focusing explicitly on mysteries and methodologies of the FX Stack and suggested improvements.
I believe that would be a very good idea !

Svengali wrote: 10 Apr 2022, 06:38 Finally, while the rules, procedures and cautions for successful use of the FX Stack are troublesome, I find the resulting FX sequences can be powerful, creative and beautiful.

sven
Indeed , yes. I was working on a scene in TVPaint tonight and this thought occurred to me: "You crazy ol' TVPaint , you're an eccentric little gnome , but you have an extraordinary amount of magic in you. Sometimes you drive me crazy, but most of the time I continue to be surprised and delighted about what a powerful , creative tool you are. Long may you wave."

Thierry
Site Admin

Post by Thierry »

Have you checked the "filterstack/bin.bin" file located in /Users/<username>/Library/tvp animation 11 pro/default main folder?
Si votre question a trouvé réponse, marquez votre sujet comme Résolu.
If your question has been answered, mark your topic as Solved.
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Thierry wrote: 11 Apr 2022, 14:46 Have you checked the "filterstack/bin.bin" file located in /Users/<username>/Library/tvp animation 11 pro/default main folder?

Ok, thanks. I found the filterstack/bin.bin file. I can open it with Text Edit . What I would like to do now is to open the filterstack/bin.bin from all of my configurations which have had FX Stack presets added at various times , open each one in Text Edit , copy the presets , then paste them all into a single filterstack/bin.bin file . My plan is to create a new configuration that is ONLY used for applying FX , so I can have the enormously long list of previously configured FX presets , but leave my other configurations relatively clutter-free in the Presets drop down menu.

So the problem I have is if I copy and paste from one configurations filterstack/bin.bin into the bin.bin file from another configuration, when I open the configuration where I pasted the FX presets, I don't see both sets of presets, only one set of presets. Does that make sense ? What do you think I'm doing wrong when I copy and paste from one configuration bin.bin file to another config's bin.bin file ? Is there a better way to edit that file than open it in Text Edit ?

D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

EDIT: sorry, I just realized this is a new Feature/Improvement request, so I'll start a new topic in the Feature/Improvement Request section of the forum.

------

Would it be possible to add Select boxes next to each of the saved FX in the Presets bin or the FX bin so that a group of saved FX could be selected and then Deleted or Exported as a batch action rather than having to Export or Delete the saved FX one at a time ? So the option would be to put a check mark in a box next to each FX you want to Export or Delete (and also perhaps have a Select ALL option if you wanted to Export or Delete all the saved FX in the list ).

As it is now if you want to Export an FX in the list to make a back-up of the FX in a folder so it can be re-loaded into the FX Stack at a later time the FX have to be exported one at a time and they must be manually named when Exporting. (by default when exporting a FX from Presets or FX Bin the file is "Untitled". I believe the behavior should be that it is automatically named with the name as it appears in the FX Bin list. ) The same thing with deleting: if you want to delete a single FX on the list or multiple FX on the list (or ALL the FX on the list) you must do it one at a time , which can be very tedious if you have many old FX saved in the bin.

Here is the problem as it exists now. Each saved FX must be Exported (or Deleted) one at a time.
FX_Bin_and_FX_Presets_Saving_and_Deleting_bin_files.jpg

What I am proposing with select boxes next to each saved FX so you could select which FX you want to Export or Delete,
and the option to Select All , then you could Export All or Delete All if desired.
Screen Shot 2022-04-13 at 8.10.36 AM.jpg

Then , upon Exporting an FX from the Presets or FX Bin, the exported FX file would automatically be given the same name it has in the FX Bin list , rather than showing up in the Export panel as "Untitled". It already has a name in the FX Bin list , so just automatically give it that name when exporting , rather than forcing the user to take time to type in a new name for it.
Screen Shot 2022-04-13 at 8.29.51 AM.jpg

However, I will say that this thing about the file name showing up as "Untitled" when exporting it seems to me that it is a BUG which should be fixed rather than considered a "new feature" request as such. If a file already has a name assigned to it in the Presets or FX Bin list that name should be the name that shows up in the Export panel , right ? Why have it show up as "Untitled" ? It already has a title (name).