Managementing big files Topic is solved

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
Tylos

Managementing big files

Post by Tylos »

Hi,

I have one big file whit all my anatimations (5min over 7000 frames and 70 scenes. 200mb). On my main PC it worked fine.Then I had license problems and had to move to other machine. Other Windows PC and Mac m1 chrased on 1proc. Android app open it, but I can't delete some scenes and save it to new file(it gives me save error). Hopefully I found that I can send one by one clip to other machine whit clip>send>otherpc from my android to PC.. it works for now.

Does somebody knows recommended limits of tvpaint file? I would like to be safe in next project:)

If somebody would like to test it. File link there:
http://TylusKinas.quickconnect.to/d/s/m ... 7fAEirsGgk
slowtiger

Re: Managementing big files

Post by slowtiger »

That's far beyond my biggest file ever (which was about 11 or 12 GB on a machine with 8 GB RAM, opening and saving took 10 min each, still in TVP 9, didn't ever crash).
Can't recommend to let it get out of hand that much. Always use the machine with the most RAM and an SSD.

What I do:
- each scene is its own project. (Exception may be made with scenes sharing the same BG, like in a dialogue scene.)
- keep overview in editing program, not TVP. (Do an animatic first, then replace scene by scene with rendered versions.)
- don't do BG work and animation in same file. Always reduce BG to 1 layer before animating.
- In the special case of one continuous scene over minutes: do rough animation in smaller resolution (half) of the whole thing, then cut it up in scenes, but with a bit (1 - 2 sec) of overlap. Copy finished overlap from one project to another.
TVP 10.0.18 and 11.0 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
TVP 11.0 and 11.7 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
TVP 11.7 Mac Mini M2pro 32GB OS 13.5
Tylos

Post by Tylos »

Thanks, I will keep it in mind. I usaly working whit 3-4 scenes. But get messy. So then i create one master file to keep all latest versions of scenes. But that not the best idea.

- it's good idea to keep each scene in seperate project. But then i doing film alone i like to see how it combines. I will need to think a bout it :)
- About overviewing in other program. I need give a try for that.
- Whit BG i doing like that.
- It good idea to make rough animation in smaller resolution. I think i will use that.
Xavier

Post by Xavier »

Loading your project ... I'm surprised : the file size is not that big but it takes quite a bunch of time to load.

Which version of TVPaint do you use ?

When working with big projects, be sure to stick with the 64 bits version. And as you guess, splitting your project into one file per scene would be a good idea too.
Xavier

Post by Xavier »

Ok, so I managed to open it and to save the file. As I thought, you were using a 32-bits version. Be aware that the 32-bits version is limited to 4 Gb of usable memory ! If this limit is reached, then TVPaint will crash. And we cannot monitor each bit of memory that is allocated (it would have a huge impact on the performances).

I will send you the link to download the file by PM.