macOS Monterey / Ventura / Sonoma and TVPaint Animation 11 [UPDATE 17/06/2022]

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
Thierry
Site Admin

macOS Monterey / Ventura / Sonoma and TVPaint Animation 11 [UPDATE 17/06/2022]

Post by Thierry »

Hello everyone,

Apple has released macOS Monterey yesterday.
As usual with each new macOS version, we strongly advise you to delay this update., as TVPaint doesn't seem to be working.

We will update this topic when we have more information.

UPDATE 15/11/2021:
We have a fix for the issue. You will need to download the software from your User Account, install it and it should be good.

UPDATE 07/12/2021:
macOS Monterey removed the "Open in low resolution" feature.To restore it, you can find instructions on this link: https://www.reddit.com/r/MacOS/comments ... ?context=3

UPDATE 17/06/2022:
On macOS Monterey 12.4 (the latest one), TVPaint doesn't start because CodeMeter doesn't seem to be working.
If you updated to macOS Monterey, please install this version of CodeMeter and the software should be able to run once again: https://owncloud.tvpaint.com/index.php/ ... Sf5Zgj85lF
Si votre question a trouvé réponse, marquez votre sujet comme Résolu.
If your question has been answered, mark your topic as Solved.
sarebare07

Re: macOS Monterey and TVPaint Animation 11

Post by sarebare07 »

when will it start working again? I accidentally upgraded.
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Thierry wrote: 26 Oct 2021, 10:31 Hello everyone,

Apple has released macOS Monterey yesterday.
As usual with each new macOS version, we strongly advise you to delay this update., as TVPaint doesn't seem to be working.

We will update this topic when we have more information.
I was on the Toonboom Discord group today and saw that Toonboom has the same problem with Harmony not working on Monterey , so they are advising all users not to update to Monterey until they figure out a fix. It seems safe to assume that every macOS update will have some compatibility problems , so I always wait to update. I haven't checked the Adobe support forum yet , but I expect Adobe software is also having issues with Monterey.

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

That's ... I don't have words for this. I can remember a time where any system update strived to be as smooth as possible, where the same software worked for 10 yrs over several OS versions flawlessly, and only some external hardware needed updated drivers. WTF is wrong with Apple?
TVP 10.0.18 and 11.0 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
TVP 11.0 and 11.7 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
TVP 11.7 Mac Mini M2pro 32GB OS 13.5
dmceachern

Post by dmceachern »

I'm sorry, I'm a bit ignorant of the process, but I'm struggling to understand why it was just discovered with the public release of Monterey that things didn't work? The OS has been in beta for months and was announced in June. It's not like it was a surprise update. All the apps I use from Adobe, Maxon, and Autodesk work fine. Yes, I'm a habitual early adopter, so I suppose it's on me that TVPaint doesn't work on my main system, but I'm feeling a bit frustrated with the regularity of this problem with TVPaint. Again, I'm sure there is a logical reason, I would just like to know why this seems to happen every year.
cf-mankit

Post by cf-mankit »

Reading the comments you can see sometimes there’s ardent defenders of the dev team and not much room for criticism.

I made a post about having some kind of official roadmap and was terrified to be shutdown by some random TVPaint fan.

We all love the product just looking to support it with communication…
Xavier

Post by Xavier »

dmceachern wrote: 01 Nov 2021, 23:22 I'm sorry, I'm a bit ignorant of the process, but I'm struggling to understand why it was just discovered with the public release of Monterey that things didn't work? The OS has been in beta for months and was announced in June. It's not like it was a surprise update. All the apps I use from Adobe, Maxon, and Autodesk work fine. Yes, I'm a habitual early adopter, so I suppose it's on me that TVPaint doesn't work on my main system, but I'm feeling a bit frustrated with the regularity of this problem with TVPaint. Again, I'm sure there is a logical reason, I would just like to know why this seems to happen every year.
Hi, it's not related to TVPaint but rather to the third-part security systems : Safenet put an end to their support for Ultrapro on MacOS after Catalina, and Wibu hasn't released their update yet.
Thierry
Site Admin

Post by Thierry »

dmceachern wrote: 01 Nov 2021, 23:22I'm sorry, I'm a bit ignorant of the process, but I'm struggling to understand why it was just discovered with the public release of Monterey that things didn't work? The OS has been in beta for months and was announced in June. It's not like it was a surprise update. All the apps I use from Adobe, Maxon, and Autodesk work fine. Yes, I'm a habitual early adopter, so I suppose it's on me that TVPaint doesn't work on my main system, but I'm feeling a bit frustrated with the regularity of this problem with TVPaint. Again, I'm sure there is a logical reason, I would just like to know why this seems to happen every year.
Hi dmceachern,

I understand your frustration, and your concerns are valid. We are also frustrated with the situation ourselves.

However, there has always been a random factor with Apple updates. When we were still using our old dongles, sometimes during the beta phases, the dongles would not work, then with the following beta version they would work again, and then not...
During Yosemite (10.10), on the last beta, the dongles were working, and when the OS released, they were no longer working and Safenet had to release a fix for this (and it took them weeks). For High Sierra (10.13), the dongles would not work during the beta, and when the OS released, they were working.
And those are the situations when we were actually able to install the Beta. For Monterey, we were not able to install it on some of the Macs that could run it (and not all of them can), while for Big Sur we were ready weeks before it was released.

Keep in mind that we are not the only ones affected by this, Toonboom also is (as David said).
Generally, updating to a new OS instantly is a bad idea, because something will always break. It's better to wait a few weeks.
dmceachern

Post by dmceachern »

Thanks for the information. I understand that there are lots of moving parts with software dev and probably came across a bit harsh with my initial comment. Thanks again for your reply.
David_Fine

Post by David_Fine »

Can I suggest a bulk email blast to TVPaint Mac users when a new OS is introduced to let them know the state of affairs? Some of us might forget and upgrade as default, so a handy reminder that TVPaint is not working yet with the latest OS and what is being done to address it, would be really great. There is also nothing about compatibility on the TVPaint website, only on this forum. Thanks.
David Fine
iMac late 2014 3.5 GHz, 32GB RAM
Snowden Fine Animation Inc.
Vancouver, Canada
Dean
Site Admin

Post by Dean »

Hi David,
regarding announcement mailings, most of them are being filtered out by the mailboxes nowadays, also French laws are quite severe regarding the sending of unwanted content to customers, this is why we usually give priority to our social media, website and forum for such announcements. However the sending bulk email might return.
Probably a vampire
David_Fine

Post by David_Fine »

Dean wrote: 05 Nov 2021, 16:32 Hi David,
regarding announcement mailings, most of them are being filtered out by the mailboxes nowadays, also French laws are quite severe regarding the sending of unwanted content to customers, this is why we usually give priority to our social media, website and forum for such announcements. However the sending bulk email might return.
I hereby allow you to email me with information related to my software. Updates, compatibility, whatever. :)

The reason it's helpful is because otherwise one has to keep periodically checking this page to see if there is an update, but it would be really useful to get a notice the moment it's announced. Hoping the issue with Monterey gets resolved soon. Thank you!
David Fine
iMac late 2014 3.5 GHz, 32GB RAM
Snowden Fine Animation Inc.
Vancouver, Canada
MBThomas

Post by MBThomas »

It's been 4 weeks since you posted about this. I'm going to take a wild guess and say us Mac users are NEVER going to get TVPaint back, are we?
Thierry
Site Admin

Post by Thierry »

MBThomas wrote: 13 Nov 2021, 21:34It's been 4 weeks since you posted about this. I'm going to take a wild guess and say us Mac users are NEVER going to get TVPaint back, are we?
There's really no need to be that dramatic.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the other hand, we have a fix for the issue!
You will need to download the software from your User Account, install it and it should be good.
Xavier

Post by Xavier »

MBThomas wrote: 13 Nov 2021, 21:34 It's been 4 weeks since you posted about this. I'm going to take a wild guess and say us Mac users are NEVER going to get TVPaint back, are we?
As said earlier we depend on third party security providers ... so such delays may (will) happen again each time Apple or Microsoft release a new OS.
That's why we (always) advise our users to be careful and avoid rushing on the new OS :mrgreen: