Always break frame unless using transform tool...

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
Joost

Always break frame unless using transform tool...

Post by Joost »

Hi There,

TVPaint 11.5 question:
In TVPaint 10 my settings where: "Always break a frame whenever you change something - UNLESS - I was using the Transform tool". When using the transform tool I never want to break frames.
Is this setting still possible in TVPaint 11?
It seems to be that you have to switch the "auto break" layer on and off the whole time now, which is a good option, but I really miss the good old TVP 10 times , which was perfect for my use of TVPaint:)
In TVPaint 11 I'm constantly ruining my frames by accidentally removing stuf for the wrong frame, and splitting all frames when using the transform tool...

Or is the only way to simulate the TVP10 method by making a special action for each tool I'm using that automatically turns on auto break for all layers when selecting this tool, and turns it off for all layers when using the transform tool?.... ( I don't even know if this would be possible)

Thanks in advance!
Mac OS 13.4.1 , Mac Studio 2023, 32GB RAM, Wacom Cintiq 27 QHD (no touch), Wacom Driver 6.4.2-4.
TVP Pro 11.7.1
Peter Wassink

Re: Always break frame unless using transform tool...

Post by Peter Wassink »

i think it would be possible, though it might just be easier to use the -recompute tool to undo the unwanted breaking after applying the Transform tool.

would that be an option?
Peter Wassink - 2D animator
• PC: Win11/64 Pro - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core - 64Gb RAM
• laptop: Win10/64 Pro - i7-4600@2.1 GHz - 16Gb RAM
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Peter Wassink wrote: 13 Sep 2021, 15:00 i think it would be possible, though it might just be easier to use the -recompute tool to undo the unwanted breaking after applying the Transform tool.
That or just toggle OFF the Auto Break Instances . One click to toggle it off , then apply the transformation to the selected instances. Then if you need Auto Break Instance again one more click to toggle it back on. Easy.

I honestly can't remember what it was like in TVPaint 10 because I haven't used TVPaint 10 regularly for over 6 years ... I kept a version of TVPaint 10 for a long time because I had students and some co-workers still using TVPaint 10 for a few years , so if I needed to do tech support for them I could open up TVPaint 10 , but I haven't looked at v10 for quite some time. I don't remember the optional setting of "Always break a frame whenever you change something - UNLESS - using the Transform tool" . I'm not saying there was not such an option, I just don't remember it . I think what I always did back then was to use the Recompute Instances tool in the Animator Panel (now called "Handy Panel" since TVPaint 11 ... I renamed mine "Layer Shortcuts").

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
Joost

Post by Joost »

Thanks for your reactions!

I recently switched from TVP10 to TVP 11, so the behaviour is new to me.

It probably is not easy to describe why this old TVP10 behaviour is important to me. But I will give it a try: I always work with a LOT of layers, and most of the time I don't look at my timeline when I work in multiple layers simultaneously. It's impossible to know by head if a layer setting is on auto break or not. That's why in the new settings sometimes I draw something in a frame assuming autobreak is on, which ruins my previous frame, and sometimes the frames will be broken when I don't want it. The recompute button is no option, because I will have to hit it every other minute.

That being said, this is my current solution: When I select the transform tool, I added an action to it which says "turn auto break off", and when I'm selecting a brush (or another tool), it will turn "auto break" on. One annoying thing about this method is that I will have to select the transform tool every time I want to move a layer, even if I want to move ten layers in a row, I will have to select this tool over and over agin...
Mac OS 13.4.1 , Mac Studio 2023, 32GB RAM, Wacom Cintiq 27 QHD (no touch), Wacom Driver 6.4.2-4.
TVP Pro 11.7.1
NathanOtano

Post by NathanOtano »

you can create a shortcut selecting your transform tool + desactivating autobreak, and a shortcut to get your brush + activating it so you would have less problems with this behaviour (+ set you default layer to the desired behaviour)
I personally aulwways desactivate autobreak and just break layers manually with the shortcut in the hand custom panel. I understand why for people discovering tvpaint the autobreak is interacting, i also thing that for some fxs it's good, but i personally never use it cause it's a source of lots of errors you don't notice and need to correct later
Working on Windows 10
Creator of Disnosc, providing storyboard, animation and design for 2D realistic pictural animation: https://www.disnosc.fr/ - nathanotano@disnosc.fr
Highly interested in animation workflows, I'm open to scripting new TVP functions for individuals and studios.