"Speed Profile" Timing Problems Ease In - Ease Out

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
pixelpusher

"Speed Profile" Timing Problems Ease In - Ease Out

Post by pixelpusher »

Hello all,
So I run into this problem routinely it seems. I often work like this, mimicking the traditional analogue animation stand approach (from which I came years ago). I have final art of a high resolution, multiple layers or not. I have it in one project we'll call "MASTER". It contains no camera movement, simply the background, foreground, any straight ahead animation, loops, etc. It's resolution may be 6 - 8K.
Then I have a second project we'll call "FINAL". It is analogous to the film in my animation camera. it is a 4K project. I set up my framing, using an FX > MOTION > KEYFRAMER with its source being the imagery coming from project "MASTER". I adjust scale and position on x and y, and often animate a move of course. So here's where I have problems:

Overall Scene Length 300 Frames:
1 > 150 there is a pan with a 30 frame ease in and a 30 frame ease out
90 > 210 there is a tilt that needs to be introduced with a 30 frame ease in and no ease out, hard stop.
150 > 300 there is a zoom in with a progressive acceleration from start to finish

So this compound move I've never been able to create. There are always all sorts of odd acceleration and deceleration events throughout using the combination of keyframes and the "Speed Profile" to describe changes in position of scale/zoom, etc. and timing.

I'm attaching a link below to the type of layout sheet from a specific example that I've marked up a bit to give you the idea of what I need to control.

Any insights from others as to how you've worked through this? I have my own technique which involves overlays in the "MASTER" project that uses visual timing position references that I then track in the "FINAL" project often keyframing on twos or ones with no associated "Speed Profile".

Thanks, Casey
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DCI5Tk ... sp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DCI5Tk ... sp=sharing
Peter Wassink

Re: "Speed Profile" Timing Problems Ease In - Ease Out

Post by Peter Wassink »

short answer.... do it in After effects. :wink:
But seriously, this is not easy(or even possible) to do in one step in TVPaint
If you want full control and smooth motion you'd need to break it up in steps and because the process is destructive, if you want to be able to tweak the move, you need to make backups of all the inbetween steps.
And if that tweak happens to be in the begin part you will need to go through all the steps again.

In your example i would break it up into 3 keyframer FX passes:
i would start with applying the 150 > 300 zoom using the keyframer inside a copy of the master called master+zoom+pan
then with a new Keyframer FX also apply the 1 > 150 pan in this project
finally use the keyframer in the FINAL project to import the master+zoom+pan into FINAL with the desired tilt at 90 > 210

by splitting it up you make sure the progress profile only applies to that part of the move and no weird glitches or accelerations will occur.
Peter Wassink - 2D animator
• PC: Win11/64 Pro - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core - 64Gb RAM
• laptop: Win10/64 Pro - i7-4600@2.1 GHz - 16Gb RAM