Tool & Brush Question : Final Japan Animation Pipeline

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
cf-mankit

Tool & Brush Question : Final Japan Animation Pipeline

Post by cf-mankit »

Hello Fellow TVPainters

First of all thank you in advance for any help and to the developers for the great application.
I have recently been experimenting with TVPaint and still trying to get a grasp with the brushes.

I have a question regarding the final stages of the Japan Animation pipeline.
Usually the final drawings are sent off to composite and colouring with pixel lines similar to the image in the link below.

In the traditional pipeline, I suppose this is the result of pixel conversion by Retas after scanning.

Image 1
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jawR5I ... sp=sharing

Image 2
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HawgFm ... sp=sharing

If I am working in HD, what is the recommended tool preset to achieve these lines... I have been experimenting with three point curves and with hand-drawn.
I have tried to experiment and it seems PEN tool without alias is closest at the moment... but I am not sure.

If Pen Tool w/o Alias, is indeed the correct then I have the following question.

Taper non existent in 3-Point Curve
It seems the pen tool with no aliasing is closest, but when drawing by 'hand' I can get the pressure taper, whilst with three point curve for long lines the pressure is constant.

Pixel Size of Brush
Is it standard to work at 2pixel size brush for the Pen in this regard? If drawing at 4K would it be double of that?

--

Sorry for the newbie questions I really want to learn animation!

--

Thank you,
mankit
Hironori Takagi

Re: Tool & Brush Question : Final Japan Animation Pipeline

Post by Hironori Takagi »

Hello.
I will answer about the Japanese pipeline.

First of all, in the drawing process, dot-by (for example, 1920 x 1080 pixels) is not used for drawing.

This is because we mainly use paper such as JIS A4 (297x210mm).
When drawing with TVPaint, use 1754 x 1240 pixel (150 dpi), 2338 x 1654 pixel (200 dpi), etc., which simulate the size of the paper, as the canvas size.

Next, the process of turning off antialiasing for painting depends on the production. When using a pen with antialiasing OFF from Key Animation,
when using with Clean-Up and Inbetween, when turning off antialiasing just before painting (using Scan Cleaner: Color FX, etc.).

Exporting to the video specifications (ex. 1920 x 1080 pixels) is the compositing work after painting is finished. At this time, the antialiasing effect is also added at the same time.

As a general rule, we do not use Bezier tools such as the 3-point curve that you asked. This is because the lines are too flat.
Many animators draws curves with freehand tools and uses straight line tools only when necessary.

I would appreciate it if you could interpret my opinion as an opinion of one perspective.

Hironori Takagi @WIT STUDIO
TVPaint 11.7.2(Nov 14 2023), Windows11 Pro, HP Spectre x360 Convertible 14-ea0xxx / TVPaint 11.7.1(Dec 22 2022) Mac OS 11.6, Apple MacBookPro M1 2020
cf-mankit

Post by cf-mankit »

Hello Hironori-San

Thank you so much for your advice it is very helpful!
ありがとうございます

If you don't mind... Is it okay for me to ask a few more questions.
I would really appreciate it~

1. Pen with Anti-Aliasing

If I was working in 1752 x 1240 from Key Animation + as you mentioned what settings would commonly be used?
I understand you are careful that you are just offering one opinion, but I am more than happy to learn more about your opinion...

Size : 2px ? 3px <-- I guess with Pressure Setting... ?

2. Minimum

If there was a scenario to go to very thin lines.. at what point would the px setting become difficult for composite further down the pipeline?

--

I am sorry for the amateur questions, and really appreciate the help.

Thank you,
mankit
Hironori Takagi

Post by Hironori Takagi »

cf-mankit wrote: 23 Jun 2021, 20:38 Hello Hironori-San

Thank you so much for your advice it is very helpful!
ありがとうございます

If you don't mind... Is it okay for me to ask a few more questions.
I would really appreciate it~

1. Pen with Anti-Aliasing

If I was working in 1752 x 1240 from Key Animation + as you mentioned what settings would commonly be used?
I understand you are careful that you are just offering one opinion, but I am more than happy to learn more about your opinion...

Size : 2px ? 3px <-- I guess with Pressure Setting... ?

2. Minimum

If there was a scenario to go to very thin lines.. at what point would the px setting become difficult for composite further down the pipeline?

--

I am sorry for the amateur questions, and really appreciate the help.

Thank you,
mankit
For a 1754 x 1240 pixel canvas, the brush size for Clean-up and In-betweens (called "douga") is 1 to 2 pixels as a guide, but in Key animation, thicker lines are often allowed.

One way to express thin lines is to draw a line drawing with an enlarged image size and then reduce it with a composite. As an individual opinion,
if you reduce the size of a large drawing, it will feel strange when it is lined up with a picture drawn at the same magnification,
so I think it is better to keep the enlargement ratio at about 100 to 200%.
TVPaint 11.7.2(Nov 14 2023), Windows11 Pro, HP Spectre x360 Convertible 14-ea0xxx / TVPaint 11.7.1(Dec 22 2022) Mac OS 11.6, Apple MacBookPro M1 2020