pixelpusher

Constant "Not Responding" message

Post by pixelpusher »

Hi there,
I've just moved to a new machine with these specs:
2 x XEON E5 processors
256GB RAM (that's correct)
Windows 10 Pro
Cache set to a separate SSD from the drive the app is running from.
Cache size set to 2GB manually.
Doing the simplest of processes, it is running slowly, and constantly presents the "Not Responding" message in the Window's top bar. See attached image.
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (28.27 KiB) Viewed 15481 times
Here's CPU usage while this is running. Maxes out at 6 to 7%
CPU use.PNG
This is not unique to this new machine. I've routinely seen this on my earlier machine. It is like it is timing out. I have music playing and am creating this message at the same time I'm waiting for a image flip to render = FX > MOTION > Y Scale -100
Nothing else is stuttering or timing out while TVPaint is.
Any thoughts?
Thanks as always?
Casey
Xavier

Re: Constant "Not Responding" message

Post by Xavier »

pixelpusher wrote: 17 May 2021, 23:23 Doing the simplest of processes, it is running slowly, and constantly presents the "Not Responding" message in the Window's top bar. See attached image.
Hi, I updated your posts to attach the pictures, because I wasn't able to see them.
Indeed, this is weird. Not only the "not responding message" but also the power use.

Given that you have a MIR dongle, it's particular though. I'd suspect a hardware failure in your dongle or the port where you plugged it.
Dean
Site Admin

Post by Dean »

Your TVPaint seems to be taking an insane amount of RAM, may I ask you to post the specs of the project you were working on, please? :p
Probably a vampire
pixelpusher

Post by pixelpusher »

Dean wrote: 18 May 2021, 10:03 Your TVPaint seems to be taking an insane amount of RAM, may I ask you to post the specs of the project you were working on, please? :p
It was a video clip I loaded as a test. 1440 x 1080 6000+ frames.
Preview ran well.
pixelpusher

Post by pixelpusher »

Xavier wrote: 18 May 2021, 09:59
pixelpusher wrote: 17 May 2021, 23:23 Doing the simplest of processes, it is running slowly, and constantly presents the "Not Responding" message in the Window's top bar. See attached image.
Hi, I updated your posts to attach the pictures, because I wasn't able to see them.
Indeed, this is weird. Not only the "not responding message" but also the power use.

Given that you have a MIR dongle, it's particular though. I'd suspect a hardware failure in your dongle or the port where you plugged it.
Thanks, but no problems on USB ports. All functioning fine.
I actually see this behavior in my lab at school on our iMacs as well. So it is not unique to my dongle.
This behavior occurs when rendering an effect, and when saving as well.
Dean
Site Admin

Post by Dean »

Hello, does it also occur with smaller projects?
Probably a vampire
pixelpusher

Post by pixelpusher »

It does occur on smaller projects, simply not as apparent, nor troublesome.
Dean
Site Admin

Post by Dean »

Hello, would it be possible to have a list of the other important processes which are running at the same time?
Also, which antivirus program are you currently using?
Probably a vampire
Dean
Site Admin

Post by Dean »

Hello, we just noticed that you are using a very old dongle model, which uses a special TVPaint build. Would you like to try to use the new WIBU license system to see if this mitigates your issue?
Probably a vampire
Xavier

Post by Xavier »

Actually I notice sometimes a similar issue when working on TVPaint : the soft seems to "freeze" for a little while from time to time.
I believe that it happens when the software checks if a new update is available.

So it may depend 1) on internet connection speed and 2) on the TVPaint website reactivity.
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Xavier wrote: 02 Jul 2021, 12:22 Actually I notice sometimes a similar issue when working on TVPaint : the soft seems to "freeze" for a little while from time to time.
I believe that it happens when the software checks if a new update is available.

So it may depend 1) on internet connection speed and 2) on the TVPaint website reactivity.
Is it possible for an option in Preferences to have a check box next to "Automatically Check For Updates" , with the other choice to uncheck the box to disable automatic checks for updates, so the user may manually check for updates ?

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
Xavier

Post by Xavier »

D.T. Nethery wrote: 02 Jul 2021, 15:12 Is it possible for an option in Preferences to have a check box next to "Automatically Check For Updates" , with the other choice to uncheck the box to disable automatic checks for updates, so the user may manually check for updates ?
Indeed ! Actually, I was also thinking about that.
Xavier

Post by Xavier »

Quick update, two things to know :
1) regarding the check for updates, it occurs only once. I moved it at the program start, to avoid any delay. Sorry, in the end I prefer not to have a configuration item for that.
1) another slowdown seems to come from the online licence check. I reduced a bit its frequency.