eraserfunction pc vs Mac Topic is solved

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
hilere

eraserfunction pc vs Mac

Post by hilere »

I have a Mobile studio pro running Windows (latest version 64bit) and a Mac mini (OS latest version 46bit). On the MSP when I have a brush selected and I use a shortcut (think it is Alt) to switch to eraser modus the brush behaves exactly the same except for the fact it is erasing now..Perfect! But on the Mac the anim setting in the brush options sets itself to maximum size until I put my brush on the tablet. So far for soft erasing. While erasing everything is OK. Then when I am done erasing and release the shortcut it goes again to maximum creating again a blob erase.

I was wondering: is there somewhere a setting on my Mac not as it should be...or is this a TVPaint bug in the Mac version?

I am using exactly the same brush with the same settings. Only the behaviour is different on PC vs Mac.
ChristopherC

Re: eraserfunction pc vs Mac

Post by ChristopherC »

i also have the same problem on the 64 bit version of tvpaint. the 32-bit version didn't have this error, though it's now un-supported by OSX. Hopefully this get's fixed along with the lag issues.
Dean
Site Admin

Post by Dean »

Hello,
The Alt key is normally used to pan the drawing space around, since you are on MacOS, maybe you use it as a shortcut to make a right click, I know that for some time Mac mice with right clicks were less common so we had to use this. Since in TVP the right click shortcut sets your brush's blending mode to "Erase" while you have it pressed, this doesn't "call" the Eraser brush per sé, so it is normal that you get a different brush size between your drawing brush used in erase mode and the actual Eraser.
the anim setting in the brush options sets itself to maximum size
<- I have difficulties understanding this behavior, could you rephrase it for me please? :P

So basically you noticed that the Mac version keeps different brush parameters according to the peripheral you are using, tablet or stylus, am I correct?

I just conducted some tests on a Mac with v11.0.10 and couldn't reproduce the issue, would it be possible for you to send me a short video of the issue via PM, please? :)
Probably a vampire
Dean
Site Admin

Post by Dean »

So I saw a short video from Christopher and it seems that in some cases, lifting the pen makes the brush "reset" its pressure or something along these lines, which makes it draw at its maximum size.
We are going to take a look into this. :)
Probably a vampire
hilere

Post by hilere »

Thanks to Christopher for sending the visuals that explain the problem. We are now about half a year later. Is there any evolution on solving this issue? The impact of this on my workflow is very big. It generates a lot of extra work when correcting lines in the cleanup.
hilere

Post by hilere »

PROBLEM SOLVED...and it had nothing to do with TVPaint!!!

After uninstalling and re-installing my Wacom driver the problem disappeared.

So if anyone has this problem...it's a WACOM PROBLEM.
Soom

Post by Soom »

hilere wrote: 19 May 2021, 10:52 PROBLEM SOLVED...and it had nothing to do with TVPaint!!!

After uninstalling and re-installing my Wacom driver the problem disappeared.

So if anyone has this problem...it's a WACOM PROBLEM.
Hi Hilere
This issue is very old and there are several threads about it. Here is one started by me in 2012 and rolling into 2021: https://www.tvpaint.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=5621
Partially it is unsolvable because of the specifics of TVPaint and Wacom architectures. The new Wacom drivers made this problem much worse, so I had to roll back and it is much better now again.
To summarize for you (if you are too lazy to read all that discussion :)):
If your Wacom options are set to Hover & Click (instead of Tap & Click), then when you press the right click button in the air it will be recognized by the tablet which is how it should be. Normally TVPaint recognizes this click at minimum pressure, therefore if your brush is set to minimum pressure 0, it will likely not produce any ghost erase strokes. However if the brush uses Constant value, or it has it's size and/or opacity set to higher minimum than 0, then it will produce erased strokes. Now the last Wacom drivers made it worse by making the hover click be recognized at 100% pressure instead of 0, resulting in ALL brushes producing thick erased lines - that's why I had to roll back a driver. So I don't know which driver version you have reinstalled, but I would be glad to hear about that.
And finally - if you want to completely avoid this behavior, you should set "Tap & Click" in Wacom options, however this completely changes the convenience of the workflow, and it's impossible to set only for TVPaint - it's either all or nothing.
Here is also a video I made of the issue:
at home: Hackintosh Intel Core i9-9900K, GPU AMD RX 6600 8GB, Cintiq 22" + Dell P2415Q 4K displays, MAC OS High Sierra / Windows 10, TVP Pro 11.7.1 + TVP Pro beta
at work: Windows 10, TVP 11.7.1 Std
https://vimeo.com/danas