Rotating Tablet computer causes TVpaint to Crash

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
Kylerk

Rotating Tablet computer causes TVpaint to Crash

Post by Kylerk »

Seven years ago I reported a bug in TVpaint posting.php?f=10&mode=reply&t=4891&sid= ... 4ed#review

This bug still exists.

Reproduction:

1. Run TVpaint 11.0.8 Standard on Windows 10 ( version 1709), on a portable computer that allows for auto screen orientation. ( in my case a Surface Pro 3). Set to english.
2. Have rotation lock turned off.
3. Rotate the computer 90 degrees so Windows decides to reorient the whole operating system.

Result: TVpaint will freeze and become unresponsive. It never recovers.

Expected result: TVpaint should continue running happily.

Notes: Happens in fullscreen or not fullscreen mode. Happens with empty projects.

Does not happen if TVpaint has been minimized before the system is rotated.

In the previous thread, the bug was not reproduced by TVpaint developers device. This happens on my old and new computer, with every version of TVpaint I have ever used.

Please fix this bug. It has cause many incidents of lost work and annoyance.
Tylos

Re: Rotating Tablet computer causes TVpaint to Crash

Post by Tylos »

Same problem there. The bug can be reproduced by detaching second screen too(if display have "extended desktop"). Or changing display orientation from landscape to portrait.. It looks like it connected to screen size..

Tested on "intel nuc i3-5010u" windows 10. and on surface 1 pro a while ago.... intel graphics maybe??

But work can be saved if tvpaint freezes:) you have to choose from windows "start" meniu "shut down" pc. Then you get dialog or you whant to terminate apps.. you have to choose "cancel". Then your tvpaint should show dialog of "save modificationd" and 50% you can click save...
melanie

Post by melanie »

Added to the TO-DO List!
Melanie • Animator
Kylerk

Post by Kylerk »

Thanks!
MillardGi

Post by MillardGi »

Tylos wrote: 15 Apr 2018, 16:32 Same problem there. The bug can be reproduced by detaching second screen too(if display have "extended desktop"). Or changing display orientation from landscape to portrait.. It looks like it connected to screen size..

Tested on "intel nuc i3-5010u" windows 10. and on surface 1 pro a while ago.... intel graphics maybe??

But cpap machines work much better now and work can be saved if tvpaint freezes:) you have to choose from windows "start" meniu "shut down" pc. Then you get dialog or you whant to terminate apps.. you have to choose "cancel". Then your tvpaint should show dialog of "save modificationd" and 50% you can click save...
Just want to report that I've experienced this bug too. Not too big of a deal, but still. Glad to see the fix for it is coming!
Last edited by MillardGi on 26 Nov 2022, 17:32, edited 2 times in total.
Kylerk

Post by Kylerk »

I justed wanted to rebump this bug, as it is extremely dangerous to people working on a mobile tablet computer, it can cause you to lose work due to the program becoming unresponsive.

I just installed version 11.0.9, and it still happens on my Surfacebook 2 running windows 10 version 1809.

I really can't believe that this bug hasn't been address yet. I reported it almost 9 years ago...
Xavier

Post by Xavier »

Sorry for the delay, I agree that this is too long. I'm going to check this !

So far, I couldn't reproduce the freeze in a Win10 VM.
Xavier

Post by Xavier »

Unable to reproduce the thing with a Win7 computer or a Wacom (Cintiq / MobileStudio) tablet. Sorry.
Kylerk

Post by Kylerk »

Just bumping this post to say that this bug still happens on TVpaint 11.5, with the lastest version of Windows 20H2, on a Microsoft SurfaceBook. Exact same steps as listed above. 32bit and 64 bit.
Xavier

Post by Xavier »

Crap !!! we were never able to reproduce this crash with the equipment we have, so as a consequence we couldn't fix it.

So... if possible we'd be glad to grab more info.

Would it be possible to get your cache folder ? just hit WIN+R, type %APPDATA% and zip the tvp something directory.
Kylerk

Post by Kylerk »

Here is a my zip file.

If there is any way to provide a crash log, let me know.
Kylerk

Post by Kylerk »

Sorry attachement failed, bigger than 30 megabytes.

Here is a google drive link.https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bjFhHT ... sp=sharing
Xavier

Post by Xavier »

Thanks, I saved it (twice).
Xavier

Post by Xavier »

Kylerk wrote: 21 Dec 2020, 19:20 Sorry attachement failed, bigger than 30 megabytes.

Here is a google drive link.https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bjFhHT ... sp=sharing
Hi again ! so I tried your config on a Surface tablet running W10 Pro. TVPaint didn't freeze nor crash :(

We'll have to identify even more precisely the conditions to reproduce this bug.

Could you please explain me step by step what you do to make TVPaint freeze or crash ?
Xavier

Post by Xavier »

Tylos, just quoting you so that you get the reply notification :)
There will be a Q&A session, I need to understand what exactly happens !
Tylos wrote: 15 Apr 2018, 16:32