neon fluorescent lighting Topic is solved

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
BJTrakman

neon fluorescent lighting

Post by BJTrakman »

I'm currently experimenting with neon fluorescent lighting. Until now I've been using a couple of the aquarelle brushes in the creative pack for frame-by-frame animation of this kind of light, which is great in many respects, but I'm wondering what effects - or combination of effects - I might use to save time and enhance the 'phosphorescence' of certain elements.

Thank you! :)

(Please excuse me if this has been covered; I've tried a few search terms on these forums, and had another look through the tutorials, but I wasn't able to find anything; if there are past explanations, I would greatly appreciate a link.)
slowtiger

Re: neon fluorescent lighting

Post by slowtiger »

Any digital neon effect basically consists of 2 parts: the light, and the glow. Here's how I do it:
neon.jpg
neon.jpg (41.54 KiB) Viewed 13772 times
Draw a line in a saturated light colour. Preserve transparency. Use the airbrush tool and add some lighter colour. Use it again with nearly white (this way you can create real volume, like in a neon sign). Create new layer, use airbrush again, but larger, with something like your original colour.

There's other ways to do this, especially using some glow FX.
TVP 10.0.18 and 11.0 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
TVP 11.0 and 11.7 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
TVP 11.7 Mac Mini M2pro 32GB OS 13.5
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

I took some Slowtiger's and I tried to create a simpler way to get what you want.
neon.png
I hope it will help !
BJTrakman

Post by BJTrakman »

Thanks for the fantastic breakdown of the manual method, slowtiger, and for the wonderfully simplistic FX method, Elodie. Lots for me to experiment with now. :)