Please stop using the 32-bits version !

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
Xavier

Please stop using the 32-bits version !

Post by Xavier »

Hi everyone,

With modern computers we have a lot of memory (RAM). And with HD, 4k, 8k... you create projects that are bigger than in the past. This is normal :)

But with a higher framerate (more instances) and bigger image resolutions (more pixels), be aware that it takes more memory for TVPaint to deal with it.

So you should not use the 32-bits version of TVPaint anymore ! this version can actually only use 4 Gb of memory. As soon as the memory required to handle your project(s) exceeds this limit of 4 Gb of memory, TVPaint 32-bits will crash. This can happen at load, but also while you are working on a project.

Please stick to the 64-bits version. It's more reliable.
Tylos

Re: Please stop using the 32-bits version !

Post by Tylos »

CHEKED(and rechecking all instals). Also Thanks for removing it removing download selection.
ChristopherC

Post by ChristopherC »

It's unfortunate that the 32 bit version of the software handles the brush engine so much better than the 64 bit version, a good amount of brushes that i used to use that worked perfectly, lag like crazy in the 64 bit version, especially with a 4k resolution (not sure if it's the same on PC but it looks to be the case on the new Macs). i never had any of these problems on a significantly lower specced computer running 32-bit. hopefully there's some kind of fix coming or native support to give that extra boost in performance.
Dean
Site Admin

Post by Dean »

Hello Christopher, could you pack some examples of the brushes which cause lag and send them to me, please?
Probably a vampire
ChristopherC

Post by ChristopherC »

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uY5L5N ... sp=sharing

Here's a link to some of the brushes that i've had to ditch because of lag problems, for context i'm using a 16gb m1 mac mini and a cintiq 24 pro (set to 3008x1692 resolution)

Some notes: Any brush with AA set to anything over medium becomes un-usable, and 95% of brushes lag like crazy if i set the display to 3840x2160, something my old 2015 MacBook pro could handle with ease under 32-bit, and i find there's a lot more of a limit on how big i can have a brush without it lagging, there seems to be the same effect with making brushes too small also.

Thanks for taking a look!
Xavier

Post by Xavier »

ChristopherC wrote: 03 Dec 2021, 14:31 https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uY5L5N ... sp=sharing

Here's a link to some of the brushes that i've had to ditch because of lag problems, for context i'm using a 16gb m1 mac mini and a cintiq 24 pro (set to 3008x1692 resolution)

Some notes: Any brush with AA set to anything over medium becomes un-usable, and 95% of brushes lag like crazy if i set the display to 3840x2160, something my old 2015 MacBook pro could handle with ease under 32-bit, and i find there's a lot more of a limit on how big i can have a brush without it lagging, there seems to be the same effect with making brushes too small also.

Thanks for taking a look!
To me, you're facing the same issue as many retina users : it's about the screen resolution on your Mac.
There's a long discussion about this : viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13017

To make it short, there are a few options you can try :
- run TVPaint in "low res" mode : https://www.idownloadblog.com/2016/06/2 ... play-macs/
- and/or enable the "Boost line smoothness" setting from Preferences > General.
ChristopherC

Post by ChristopherC »

I already have enabled both low res and boost line smoothness, it was the first thing i did when setting up TVPaint on the new system because it was lagging to an un-useable point on the default settings (just checked to be sure and they're still enabled), both of those settings did help a lot, but there's still that significant drop in performance compared to 32-bit which could handle 4k resolution and practically any brush with ease.