New colour scheme

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
David_Fine

New colour scheme

Post by David_Fine »

I am finally using TVPaint 11. I find the two colour schemes either too dark or too light. I would like a slightly darker version of the Acier scheme, but I am unclear how to adjust. I know you click the box and then colour pick with your cursor, but you then only have the choice of the colours which are present on screen somewhere to click on, but the screen goes all dark, so how do you possibly get the colour when the rest of the screen has been dimmed? I wonder why you can't get a colour wheel up from the box? Or is there some other way? Or are there more colour schemes available to download for TVPaint 11, because I only see older schemes. I assume you need TVPaint 11 schemes for 11.

Speaking of interface, does the cursor still not accurately show the brush size you are using? I was hoping this would be a v11 feature.
David Fine
iMac late 2014 3.5 GHz, 32GB RAM
Snowden Fine Animation Inc.
Vancouver, Canada
neonnoodle

Re: New colour scheme

Post by neonnoodle »

I can at least answer the last question about the cursor/brush size, because this has come up here a number of times. The short answer seems to be that the TVP team does not consider "maximum brush size" to be a preferable cursor preview for brushes that vary by size.

In Photoshop and other drawing programs, the brush cursor usually represents the diameter of the brush at maximum pressure. This is fine if your brush never varies in size, but if you have size/pressure correspondence turned on, the brush spends most of its time at much smaller diameters than the cursor. Those of us who use PS et al. have learned to infer and compensate for this discrepancy, knowing that the applied brush tip is usually not the size of the cursor.
David_Fine

Post by David_Fine »

As you say, using PS, we know that the size is the maximum pressure and it gives us a guide. If this is inappropriate for the user, simply choose one of the other cursor options. Why not provide this choice?
David Fine
Vancouver, Canada
mox

Post by mox »

David_Fine wrote:I am finally using TVPaint 11. I find the two colour schemes either too dark or too light. I would like a slightly darker version of the Acier scheme, but I am unclear how to adjust. I know you click the box and then colour pick with your cursor, but you then only have the choice of the colours which are present on screen somewhere to click on, but the screen goes all dark, so how do you possibly get the colour when the rest of the screen has been dimmed? I wonder why you can't get a colour wheel up from the box? Or is there some other way? Or are there more colour schemes available to download for TVPaint 11, because I only see older schemes. I assume you need TVPaint 11 schemes for 11.
Here is one way: grab a screenshot of the whole interface then adjust the brightness/constrast you want.

Go to the Pref panel, set the "Locked Windows Visibility" to "None", then pick colours from the screenshot.
Jerome Lorin
Moxica (playground)
(Win11/TVP 11.7.3-64 bits pro)
David_Fine

Post by David_Fine »

Ah, that's a very good tip. I didn't even realize you could turn off the darkening. Now the other issue is that there are like 100 different parts of the interface to adjust the colour, but no reference which shows what those parts actually represent on screen, so it's a lot of playing around to figure it out, but your suggestion really helps anyway.

One thing I don't get about the new interface is the lack of colour in the icons and the tools, like turning on the light table used to be a yellow light, but now it's grey. Turning on or off a layer was green and red, but now just grey. How is this in any way better? It's not. It's much less easy to see and take in at a quick glance. Is there any scope for fixing this or allowing users to choose an option to have more colour in the icons and indicators? I am going to put this in a feature request.

Does anyone have any links to existing themes that work with 11?
David Fine
Vancouver, Canada
Paul Fierlinger

Post by Paul Fierlinger »

Hi David, I'll send you the yellow shines with the read and green stop lights -- they all go in the same way.
Paul
http://www.slocumfilm.com
Desktop PC Win10-Pro -64 bit OS; 32.0 GB RAM
Processor: i7-2600 CPU@3.40GHz
AMD FirePro V7900; Intuos4 Wacom tablet
Fabrice

Post by Fabrice »

Does anyone have any links to existing themes that work with 11?
All the v10 and v9 themes should work in the v11 :
http://forum.tvpaint.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1313" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Fabrice Debarge
NathanOtano

Post by NathanOtano »

Maybe a third default, colored, theme in the new style can be cool?
Working on Windows 10
Creator of Disnosc, providing storyboard, animation and design for 2D realistic pictural animation: https://www.disnosc.fr/ - nathanotano@disnosc.fr
Highly interested in animation workflows, I'm open to scripting new TVP functions for individuals and studios.
Peter Wassink

Post by Peter Wassink »

David_Fine wrote:Ah, that's a very good tip. I didn't even realize you could turn off the darkening. Now the other issue is that there are like 100 different parts of the interface to adjust the colour, but no reference which shows what those parts actually represent on screen, so it's a lot of playing around to figure it out, but your suggestion really helps anyway.
You can execute Mox's trick even a bit more clever...

make a screenshot but not of the whole interface only of the list of interface colors. then aply the desired darkening/lightning / desaturation etcc...
and the replace the colors one by one going down the list...
i agree its still cumbersome...mainly because the panel doesn't stay up! you have to pull it up again for every color! :evil: ,

Also... when doing this be aware of a the very dangerous lay-out of the RESET button in this color scheme/preference panel. it is right under the pop-up row of colors. And because the panel doesn't stay up it is al too easy to
accidentally hit that button and the scheme will reset and you have to start again :evil: (it happend many times to me :cry: )

a luminosity slider in the preference panel would be so much more convenient.
but its still the easiest method i could think of
interface.png
interface.png (104.1 KiB) Viewed 24997 times
Peter Wassink - 2D animator
• PC: Win11/64 Pro - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core - 64Gb RAM
• laptop: Win10/64 Pro - i7-4600@2.1 GHz - 16Gb RAM
David_Fine

Post by David_Fine »

That is a useful, but as you say, still cumbersome method, but thanks. Hey TVPaint developers, how about an image which shows the interface with tags to show what all the elements are, or at least the main ones that impact the overall look. That would be awesome! :D
David Fine
Vancouver, Canada
schwarzgrau

Post by schwarzgrau »

yup, that would be really useful.
Windows 11 22H2 / TVP 11.7.0 PRO WIBU / Cintiq 22HD
Windows 11 22H2 / TVP 11.7.0 PRO WIBU / Mobile Studio Pro 16" (2019)
Android 13 / TVP 11.7.0 / Galaxy Tab 7 FE
INSTAGRAM
Thierry
Site Admin

Post by Thierry »

David_Fine wrote:Hey TVPaint developers, how about an image which shows the interface with tags to show what all the elements are, or at least the main ones that impact the overall look. That would be awesome! :D
That's a good idea indeed =)
Si votre question a trouvé réponse, marquez votre sujet comme Résolu.
If your question has been answered, mark your topic as Solved.
David_Fine

Post by David_Fine »

Something like this. :)
VULCAN-E-Parts-Diagram.jpg
VULCAN-E-Parts-Diagram.jpg (83.9 KiB) Viewed 24918 times
David Fine
Vancouver, Canada