SSD with TVPaint 10 Pro

A forum dedicated to George scripting questions
Svengali

SSD with TVPaint 10 Pro

Post by Svengali »

I'm curious if anyone is using a Solid State Drive with TVPaint Pro and what is your experience?

In my new configuration I've had a problem specifically with scripts that use tv_GetPath for retrieving stored cutbrush and animbrush files. A "File not found" popup, requiring that I click "OK" and then followed by success or failure to retrieve the image or images. I think it's caused by a temporary cache folder being included in the path retrieved by tv_GetPath but it's damned hard to diagnose what the cache manager is doing...

My brute-force work-around is to hard-wire the path to the George Folder (where the files are stored) but this solution requires changing ALL the George scripts where tv_GetPath is used. :(

Beyond that, 24GB ram and SSD make my TVPaint performance virtually instantaneous.

Sven
TVP Pro 11.0.10-64bit Win10 - 64GB ram -2TB HHD - 256GB SSD - Wacom Cintiq 16, driver 6.3.41-1
Android Tablet: rel. 11, Samsung Galaxy Note10.1 - 32GB with microSD 32GB
Android Tablet: rel. 11.5, Samsung Galaxy Tab S7plus - 128GB with microSD 64GB
Paul Fierlinger

Re: SSD with TVPaint 10 Pro

Post by Paul Fierlinger »

Hi Svengali,
As you know, I use SmartSync to make backups over my LAN to a Buffalo hard drive and get the same message with frequency. Usually, as you describe, repeating the command gets me through. Now that you've explained the delay issue, I raised the delay period in SmartSync's Properties from 3 seconds to 5 and briefly tested. The result is promising (I got no can't find message) but won't know for sure until I use this setting for a longer period of time. Whether this helps you with your question I don't know, but your question seems to have helped me. :)
Thanks
Paul
http://www.slocumfilm.com
Desktop PC Win10-Pro -64 bit OS; 32.0 GB RAM
Processor: i7-2600 CPU@3.40GHz
AMD FirePro V7900; Intuos4 Wacom tablet
Fabrice

Post by Fabrice »

I'm curious if anyone is using a Solid State Drive with TVPaint Pro and what is your experience?
No specific problem encountered after 2~3 years.
Everything is now so much faster ! :)
Fabrice Debarge
Svengali

Post by Svengali »

Paul Fierlinger wrote:Hi Svengali,
As you know, I use SmartSync to make backups over my LAN to a Buffalo hard drive and get the same message with frequency. Usually, as you describe, repeating the command gets me through. Now that you've explained the delay issue, I raised the delay period in SmartSync's Properties from 3 seconds to 5 and briefly tested. The result is promising (I got no can't find message) but won't know for sure until I use this setting for a longer period of time. Whether this helps you with your question I don't know, but your question seems to have helped me. :)
Thanks
I appreciate any feedback Paul as I am still stumbling around in the dark. As I learn more, I"ll post here. The file not found popup is the only negative consequence so far using the SSD as my primary drive. And as Fabrice says "EVERYTHING is now so much faster!" :D

Sven
TVP Pro 11.0.10-64bit Win10 - 64GB ram -2TB HHD - 256GB SSD - Wacom Cintiq 16, driver 6.3.41-1
Fabrice

Post by Fabrice »

When using a SSD, it's recommended to move all the windows and software temp directories to a classic hard drive and also the pagefile.sys. There is also the automatic windows research index to remove etc ... in order to save the lifetime of the SSD.
I did all of this, but it prevented some software to work correctly.
Fabrice Debarge
Svengali

Post by Svengali »

I must take back my suspicions about the SSD cache being the problem with tv_GetPath. It was a simple case of adjusting the Permissions for the George folder. No more warning messages!

The prices on Solid State Drives just keep dropping and I suspect there will be many more TVPaint users who will start using them... soon. 8)

Sven

(thanks Mads for your PM)