How to get Smoothing Effect!

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
PreciousRoy

How to get Smoothing Effect!

Post by PreciousRoy »

Hi everyone! I'm not sure if anyone knows but I've found a way to get smooth strokes without Lazy Nezumi and without having to take your time drawing smooth finished lines. I recommend this because its pretty much a free feature within the program unlike how you have to pay for Lazy Nezumi after a 30 day trial.

If you've used Lazy Nezumi or Sai Paint Tool you'll notice the live smoothing effect these programs give you when drawing lines. It helps lag your cursor in order to stabilize it.

To get this in TV Paint:

•1.select the drawing instrument of choice.
•2. In the "Main Panel" there's that squiggle icon, or the free hand stroke icon. Click this and hold it.
•3. Select "Shape Settings"

There you should find "Activate line smoothing". Check this and there you go!

If you're used to Flash's type of smooth stroke correction, uncheck "Real Time" so it smooths your stroke after you draw it.

I hope this helps anyone who doesn't like the jagged lines like myself. Take care!
CartoonMonkey

Re: How to get Smoothing Effect!

Post by CartoonMonkey »

I'm surprised about how many people are unaware of this feature.
Thanks for the reminder.
elephantmarch

Post by elephantmarch »

Haha discoverred this halfway through my project T__T. Reason I never used it before is I never new you could tone it down enough it wasn't OVER smoothing.

Don't suppose there's a way to smooth out lines AFTER they've been drawn? T__T
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

elephantmarch wrote: 01 Apr 2024, 06:19 Haha discoverred this halfway through my project T__T. Reason I never used it before is I never new you could tone it down enough it wasn't OVER smoothing.

Yes, just adjust the percentage of smoothing by click & drag on the arrows to the right of Smoothing -

Screen Shot 2024-04-01 at 7.41.53 AM.jpg
Screen Shot 2024-04-01 at 7.41.53 AM.jpg (43.29 KiB) Viewed 364 times

elephantmarch wrote: 01 Apr 2024, 06:19 Don't suppose there's a way to smooth out lines AFTER they've been drawn? T__T
There is no way to alter the path or shape of a stroke after it has been drawn (like in a vector app where you can push and pull the vector points to change the line), but if you want to "smooth" the line quality , there is the Anti-Aliasing function under the Stylize menu in the FX Stack.

Screen Shot 2024-04-01 at 7.39.57 AM.jpg
Screen Shot 2024-04-01 at 7.39.57 AM.jpg (39.04 KiB) Viewed 364 times

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1