Couleurs ( Tiji TV chanel )

Show us your drawings and animation made with the TVPaint technology here !
Elodie

Couleurs ( Tiji TV chanel )

Post by Elodie »

Here is a short-movie made by Akama studio for the "Tiji" (a French TV channel for kids).

Storyboard, décor trait : Denis Do ("Le Ruban" aux Gobelins)
Character design / animateur : Jeremy Macedo ("Jean Luc" aux Gobelins)
Animateur / Fx diffusion / compositing : Adrian Maganza
Animateur : Jeremy Macedo, Ulysse Malassagne ("Le Royaume" aux Gobelins), Frank Monier, ("Le Royaume" également)
Décor couleur : Jean David Fabre ("Smoke my christmas" aux Gobelins)
Compositing : Vincent Vernier ("Smoke my christmas" aux Gobelins), Alexandre Ada, Jean David Fabre.

As many people in that hall of fame are TVP user, I assume this short movie was done partially with TVP =D

(I'll confirm it later, if Jeremy answers me ^^)
malcooning

Re: Couleurs

Post by malcooning »

It's made with good skill, it's edited well and its rhythm keeps you hooked. And often here exactly lies the problem.

Personally I can't stand animation that shows a brush or a hand painting into the picture. It indicates on the superficial level at which the creators are perceiving animation. It's fastening animation to it's direct medium, never letting the content speak. Why do I need to be aware of the medium? Is animation not open enough to use its semantic act instead of its representational act? And if form is content here, then It's indeed a mirror of the situation today: there are thousands of technicians, who master technique like religion and consume its tuition like entertainment, but the output of work leaves you, as a viewer, cold - a tendency that grows exponentially over the times. I guess I'm probably not on the same coach with most, as most viewers will actually like it and think it a very clever flic. But for me this is simply an unconscious essay on how not to write and essay.

there are some examples of exception, of course, like Loony Tunes' "Duck Amuck", but that's because it's so charming, cynical and self-reproaching. and it has Duffy Duck. You can see what becomes when the creators are really aware of what they're doing.
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

Well, I think it's also a way to represent how a child imagine the world get colored, exactly like the "books to color" : all is with black lines on white paper and waits to be colored.

But maybe they could change the tool and use also pencils, charcoal, stamps for the giraf's stains etc...

But whatever, the aim here is not to be funny, like the Looney tunes' episode. This short movie wants to be sweet and poetic =)
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Typical TV exec taste, I'd say ... The whole thing is "over-produced" IMO. Simpler elements, less lines, and a mixture of different drawing techniques would've been fine. This looks like your typical presentation video shown on fairs and sales shows.
TVP 10.0.18 and 11.0 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
TVP 11.0 and 11.7 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
TVP 11.7 Mac Mini M2pro 32GB OS 13.5
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

Rooooh, you're all boring old men...

Personally, I found that little story with the poor "monochrome" panda in a colored world very sweet.
The few elements animated are very fluid, in particular the gazelle's race and panda's expressions.

Yes, It's not the best artistic movie of the year, but I find it mixes very well TV channel needs with the artists skills.
By the way, that project was made very fast(I assume about 2-3months).
idragosani

Post by idragosani »

I thought it was wonderful to watch, with the swirling colors and animals (for a child, I am sure it's even more wonderful to watch). I have to admit I do tire of the cutesy Disney-ish animal thing, but I am a grumpy old man, too :-) I will show this to my 6 year old and see what he thinks of it.
Brett W. McCoy -- http://www.brettwmccoy.com
TVP Pro 10 : Intel i7 2600 3.4 GHz : 8GB RAM : Ubuntu Studio 14.04 : Cintiq 21UX
Fabrice

Post by Fabrice »

But whatever, the aim here is not to be funny, like the Looney tunes' episode. This short movie wants to be sweet and poetic =)
Yes, I agree.
Even if a very few things can be improved, they have reached their objective. It's a cute story for a commercial animation.
It's not that often we have a such quality in a commercial for childrens. (at least in France) :)
Fabrice Debarge
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Elodie wrote:Rooooh, you're all boring old men...

Personally, I found that little story with the poor "monochrome" panda in a colored world very sweet.
The few elements animated are very fluid, in particular the gazelle's race and panda's expressions.

Yes, It's not the best artistic movie of the year, but I find it mixes very well TV channel needs with the artists skills.
By the way, that project was made very fast(I assume about 2-3months).

Well, I liked it. I think it was successful for what it was meant to be , as a commercial product, not an individual's artistic statement. (there are often compromises made for these sorts of commercial projects
so I guess that doesn't bother me. I appreciate the high-caliber of the work .) Thanks for posting.

I'd love to know more about the production process. Was it made by an established studio ? or a new studio ? or was everyone you listed just brought on as freelance artists to make this one project and are now disbanded ?

And of course I'm very interested to know if they used TVP to make this.
Elodie

Re: Couleurs ( Tiji TV chanel )

Post by Elodie »

I've asked more details to Jeremy Macedo and he confirmed they worked on this project during 3 months.

It seems some of the animators worked in Freelance and others worked in the studio directly. Akama Studios basically creates 3D advertisements, FX, compositing etc... "Couleurs" is their first 2D animation movie and they were advised by ex-Gobelins students :D

Here is the website of akama : http://www.akamastudio.com/reel.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Elodie wrote:I've asked more details to Jeremy Macedo and he confirmed they worked on this project during 3 months.

It seems some of the animators worked in Freelance and others worked in the studio directly. Akama Studios basically creates 3D advertisements, FX, compositing etc... "Couleurs" is their first 2D animation movie and they were advised by ex-Gobelins students :D

Here is the website of akama : http://www.akamastudio.com/reel.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Did they use TVP to make the piece ?
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

Yes they did =)