barefoot running

To talk about anything else
Elodie

Re: barefoot running

Post by Elodie »

User767 wrote:Some of the theories attached to shoe products are really amazing, and most of them are nonsense
http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs9/i/2006/0 ... yGreen.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:mrgreen:
Sierra Rose

Post by Sierra Rose »

Elodie wrote:
User767 wrote:Some of the theories attached to shoe products are really amazing, and most of them are nonsense
http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs9/i/2006/0 ... yGreen.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:mrgreen:
Heh heh.
WinXP 32bit 10.0.17Pro
toonybrain

Post by toonybrain »

Interesting thread . . .

I too am a runner. I recently bought a pair of those running shoes with the toes in them. They look like gloves for your feet.

I was warned by the sales clerk to introduce your feet to them gradually, but my feet took to them right away. They fit like a glove (couldn't resist).

My usual run includes passing through a wide creek (the road actually goes right through the creek - neato :D ); my staus-quo running shoes would take so long to dry, I'd have to remove them, hence my socks, too, before going through the water. Nothing breaks your stride more than having to stop to remove your socks and shoes. Since my new Vibrams have nothing to them - no padding - they dry quickly. I keep 'em on and just keep going: splash, splash, splash.

There's another brand called Skele Toes, too. I don't have the gouge on them, but I do enjoy my Vibrams.

They're great and comfortable. Try them ladies, see what you think: barefeet, but with protection. (I sound like a commercial, sorry.)
Sierra Rose

Post by Sierra Rose »

Yes, those "glove" shoes look very good to me. A little pricey, but on my dream list.

I have been coming down on the balls of my feet for 3 or 4 months now. (I had a very long recovery from the surgery). Instead of going barefoot or buying anything, I have just been using some thin-soled shoes that I had earlier kept for non-athletic use.

What's odd to me is that, feeling the ground with my toes and soles now, my endurance has gone through the roof...even my breath is stronger. It's like I'm getting a foot massage while feeling the contours of the terrain and it gives me energy. I don't know why this would be but others have reported the same phenomenon. I certainly am more sure-footed -- important because our hiking hills are a bit rugged.

I had to start in 10 minute increments because my feet weren't used to this new stride. Now I can run with about 6 walking breaks the entire hike (about 3 miles), when I started I could only run about 1 block. I'm looking forward to the day I can run the whole route.

The most important thing to a person of my age (68) is that my knees don't hurt anymore at all on the down hills. I was warned not to run at all because I'd be looking at knee surgeries if I did. I think the correct shock absorption by the balls of my feet have made all the difference.
WinXP 32bit 10.0.17Pro
Sierra Rose

Post by Sierra Rose »

Tooneybrain....one question I have about the Vibrams is do you find little tiny pebbles creeping in...you know those painful little ones that really hurt?
WinXP 32bit 10.0.17Pro
User767

Post by User767 »

Hopefully you already know about this, but for people who don't:

http://www.livingbarefoot.info/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

resources, links, and reviews.

and, I can't stand the individual toe shoes. I have a feeling it has to do with each person's individual toes vs their toe design.
>formerly User 767: "It seems your login has been deleted. Your login being a little strange, maybe you have written a strange post and we thought your were a bot."
Heaven forbid that an animator might be 'strange'
Sierra Rose

Post by Sierra Rose »

Yes, my foot surgeon agrees that each person has to see what works for his/her own particular feet. There can be arch breakdown problems for some people with the change in stride to the ball of the foot while others like me see great benefit.
WinXP 32bit 10.0.17Pro
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

I've never heard about "toe shoes", that's fun ! But, if walking barefoot is good and normal for us, I really wonder if it's comfortable when you run. The impact in your knees and your ankles must be a little violent... ?
Peter Wassink

Post by Peter Wassink »

Elodie wrote:I've never heard about "toe shoes", that's fun ! But, if walking barefoot is good and normal for us, I really wonder if it's comfortable when you run. The impact in your knees and your ankles must be a little violent... ?
well you'd have to change your running technique off course, and start landing on your forefoot
when you run barefoot this automatically happens, running barefoot you would never think of landing on your heels.
but with those soft and cushy shoes with thick padded soles you are much more likely to develop a technique where you land on your heels and actually increasing the risk of knee injury
Peter Wassink - 2D animator
• PC: Win11/64 Pro - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core - 64Gb RAM
• laptop: Win10/64 Pro - i7-4600@2.1 GHz - 16Gb RAM
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

Well, you seems right.

By the way, I notice I'm faster when I run barefoot than with shoes. I cannot remember how many times I run barefoot, my high-heels in hands, to take a train that I was going to miss :mrgreen:

Or maybe was it the stress to miss my train that gave wings to my feet ? :roll:
Peter Wassink

Post by Peter Wassink »

maybe you just had the wrong kind of high heels...
nike-sb-dunk-high-heel-shoes-126034.jpg
nike-sb-dunk-high-heel-shoes-126034.jpg (64.94 KiB) Viewed 32568 times
Peter Wassink - 2D animator
• PC: Win11/64 Pro - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core - 64Gb RAM
• laptop: Win10/64 Pro - i7-4600@2.1 GHz - 16Gb RAM
Sierra Rose

Post by Sierra Rose »

Heh heh. My dream shoes.
WinXP 32bit 10.0.17Pro
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

Elodie likes this :mrgreen:
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

Hey Sierra,

I up that thread, in order to thank you ! since you talked about barefoot running last year, I was very interested in this "strange" way to run.
I searched then many information about this, in particular about those "shoes with toes"... and so, I was more and more interesting in Vibram Five fingers.

Now, I am using five fingers for 2 months. Sierra : THANK YOU SO MUCH !
Running barefoot (or as barefoot) is just amazing. Before, running was really not a pleasure for me, a kind of torture in fact.
I am less exhausted (whereas I run more !), I feel my muscles are working harder, I don't feel any pain with my back... And I also think my feet are going better (since my "bunionectomy", they were a little "rigid" and even if it is not perfect yet, it's quite better now :p)

So, my feet thank you, Sierra

(My KSO grey / agate :D)
crayon10

Post by crayon10 »

Is the ball of the feet just behind the toes and if it is are you having any problems there?