barefoot running

To talk about anything else
Sierra Rose

barefoot running

Post by Sierra Rose »

In our neck of the woods, people are cottoning to this new (actually ancient) idea of barefoot running. The word is that we have all been duped by Nike-like corporations misinforming the public that having a big "cushy" heel on their shoes is helpful and healthy. It seems that people have changed their stride due to this PR and have been willing to pay big bucks for more and more cushioning creating a situation wherein many suffer unnecessary injuries by coming down on their heels instead of the balls of the feet.

I have been laid up with a bunionectomy for the past 6 weeks and only been able to hobble around the hiking trails with walking poles. But I have been observing more closely the strides of the various runners in our somewhat rugged foothills as well as watching a lot of videos showing how different barefoot running is from coming down on your heel.

It is quite amazing how different people look when they run more up on their toes. Their forearms come up their heads seem more in alignment with their bodies, they seem to carry their chests higher.

I am now at the point that I can detect how a person is hitting the ground (heel or ball) from quite far away because their entire stance is telling.

I still have six more weeks of recuperation before I myself I can run again, but as we animators draw motion, I thought this topic might interest some people on this forum.
WinXP 32bit 10.0.17Pro
Klaus Hoefs

Re: barefoot running

Post by Klaus Hoefs »

This could be a nice film: walking, jogging and running from Neanderthals to Nike-people of our times !?

Sierra, I like your story !

Post by Elodie »

Sierra Rose wrote:I have been laid up with a bunionectomy for the past 6 weeks
Really ? That's quite fun, I've been orperated too recently (two feet at the same time, I'm crazy !) :mrgreen:
Bunions are not only coming from heels, that's not true (it's an urban lgend ^^). It most of the time a hereditary factor. See my case : I frequently walked barefoot or with normal shoes and I really rarely wore shoes with heels, because it hurt me. And I'm quite young though.
Heels can aggravate your hallux valgus, but won't be the first cause (which is : the heredity ^^)

Nothing to do with the barefoot running, but I recently saw an advertisment with running shoes that develop your buttocks. I wonder how it's possible, but I would like to give them a try :mrgreen:

Anyway, you are right Sierra : feet are really important and from feet depends the way you will walk, stand etc...
Just before I've been operated, I noticed I had the bad habit to walk on the side of my feet. I understood so why I don't have any balance and why I have problem with my back.
Sierra Rose

Post by Sierra Rose »

I did not mean to imply that my bunion came from coming down on my heels while running. I agree it is hereditary and also from many years of tight high heels in my Hollywood days. (Acting, modeling). I can't believe you had surgery on both feet at the same time. You really were laid up! But it sounds like you did it when you were very young. I wish I didn't wait till I was 68. But I was too much a coward before.

I am restless enough not being able to swim or get out into the hills for a strenuous hike/run. Going a little crazy. But one more surgery next week and I'll be able to be my active self again.

Barefoot running is not necessarily without shoes BTW. There are Vibram 5's (like a foot glove) and also Invisible shoes (like a thin sandal) which are quite amazing. I plan on getting the invisible shoe kit and making my own
WinXP 32bit 10.0.17Pro
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

Okay, sorry for misunderstood you =)

Yes, two feet at the same time, the surgeon made an exception for me... I don't know why, by the way. Maybe because I'm young and so he knew I recovered fastly. :mrgreen:
Sierra Rose wrote:I plan on getting the invisible shoe kit and making my own

Did you see Cloudy with a chance of Meatballs ? :D
(If you haven't : the movie is about a young inventor. And in his childhood, he invents a "shoe-in-spay"... but it works too well)

More seriously, I didn't know thie invisble shoe kit. What's it in fact ?
Sierra Rose

Post by Sierra Rose »

Young and brave to do that, I think.

Here's a link to the invisbile shoe company http://www.invisibleshoe.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
if you make the shoe yourself it's only 21 bucks. It's closer to 50 bucks if they make them for you. but they are easy to do: there is a video on YouTube at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fF6aGK5AhpA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)
that shows you how to make them step by step. It looks very easy to me.

I am also interested in vibram shoes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oyld_WvcsGs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
but they are lots more expensive and I am a cheapskate

If you search for "barefoot running" on YouTube there are several videos that show how it is different from what most people do today with their soft heeled shoes.

I too have run barefoot a lot in my life so I think it is more natural for me to come down on the ball of my foot.
WinXP 32bit 10.0.17Pro
v.veidt

Post by v.veidt »

It's nice to see this topic getting attention, even if it is on an animation forum. As a male, I actually wear high heeled boots (which were never intended for women) in order to keep my weight on the balls of my feet. The result is better posture, zero foot pain, and a longer, faster stride.

Have a speedy recovery.
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

I'm surprised to read you wear shoes with high heels. When you say "high" I imagine you wearing 10cm heeled boots. Is that the case ? If so, I'm surprise you don't have any pain with that kind of shoes. I love to wear high heels (because well, say it, it's sexy ^^), but my feet doesn't :mrgreen:

@ Sierra : finally, it's nearly like a "tong", but with a string in plus to maintain your heel. =)
It seems a little "expensive" for 3 strings and a sole. (I mean... my own "tongs" only cost 5 euros / 7 dollars... and I have nothing to make)
Sierra Rose

Post by Sierra Rose »

Yes and you could make your own out of an old rubber tire once you see how it is assembled. But I would spring for the $21 bucks for the kit because of the kind of materials they send. I think they will hold up well and be quite comfortable. But I have been wearing just one of my Birkenstocks on my foot that doesn't have the big surgery shoe on it when I hike instead of my old Nikes and that does very well for just walking. I think when running I'd want something strapped on though. This all remains to be seen since I am only dreaming of the day when my poor body can break out of the pain prison and just run around the hills.
I actually wear high heeled boots (which were never intended for women) in order to keep my weight on the balls of my feet. The result is better posture, zero foot pain, and a longer, faster stride.
That is interesting. I couldn't take the constant pressure from the elevated heel either. But one thing I really notice is that people who run on the balls of their feet take much shorter strides. But as my wonderful foot doctor says, "There aren't any rules for this. People have to find what works for them and no one way is THE way for everyone."

The reason I thought this would be interesting for animators is that we all have books that show us how to draw people running and the pictures all show coming down on the heel. It's kind of a built-in idea in today's world, but going back to the Indians of Mexico where the invisible shoe design was learned, people 90 years old are still running 50 mile stretches barefoot or with these huaraches like the invisible shoes.

Because of my age, I have been told I can't run because my knees will be ruined. It's lovely to have myths exploded sometimes.
WinXP 32bit 10.0.17Pro
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

Sierra Rose wrote:Because of my age, I have been told I can't run because my knees will be ruined. It's lovely to have myths exploded sometimes.
I've seen a time ago (at the TV) a hundred years-old man who still ran the marathon.
I also remember a sport teacher I had in the secondary school who were 62 years old and she was still available to run and do saltos on parralel bars :mrgreen:
v.veidt

Post by v.veidt »

They're high for North America at about 5 or 6 cm, but I have worn 10cm heels (when I was a tad shorter) with comfort. It's all about distribution of weight. They're also great for walking up (but not down) steep hills.

Of course, while we're on the topic of shoes, there is a trend in Southern California right now to wear shoes intended to reverse the arches of the feet :shock:
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

v.veidt wrote:They're high for North America at about 5 or 6 cm,
For Europe too. I mean, for male shoes. I'm surprised because it's really rare to see men with high heels in France. Their boots rarely exceed 3 or 4 cm. Eventually, you can find guys with big soles :mrgreen:
v.veidt wrote:Of course, while we're on the topic of shoes, there is a trend in Southern California right now to wear shoes intended to reverse the arches of the feet :shock:
Wait... What ? :|
User767

Post by User767 »

It's amazing how perpetually willing people are to buy into advertising/marketing. I guess we're very well trained.

'normal' looking [healthy] shoes, I've been wearing happily for many years: http://www.flexiblefootwear.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What about moccasins?

Concrete isn't exactly a natural walking surface. Padding helps there, doesn't it? And, aren't Birkenstocks (or any other shoe that doesn't capture your heel) bad for you? Because of your toes having to grip the shoes to keep them on.

I've worked on a number of shoe commercials over the years. Some of the theories attached to shoe products are really amazing, and most of them are nonsense (according to the makers, no less). Seems there's no doubt that shoe makers will always have willing customer base. Personally, I think I'd look at the condition of the elderly feet of people who have been walking for a lifetime in whatever kind of shoe you're interested in. Might be a lot more telling than anyone's advertising.
>formerly User 767: "It seems your login has been deleted. Your login being a little strange, maybe you have written a strange post and we thought your were a bot."
Heaven forbid that an animator might be 'strange'
Sierra Rose

Post by Sierra Rose »

One thing I found interesting. People who have given up the cushioning in shoes develop stronger feet and arches and their feet actually contract a little in size. The heel is to balance while standing but sends a jolt up the leg when it takes the shock of your step. When you come down on the balls of your feet, you naturally cushion this shock.

I read that the Birkenstock is good because it forces the foot to grip a little and this develops strength and the arch. I find them very comfortable.

I think there are a lot of "experts" out there with a lot of opinions. The best thing is to feel your own body and what works for you and not be misled by people who think they know what you should do--either because they are trying to sell you something or because they think they know it all.
WinXP 32bit 10.0.17Pro
ZigOtto

Post by ZigOtto »

Sierra Rose wrote: "... People have to find what works for them and no one way is THE way for everyone."
Carl Lewis's way is definitively not mine ! :mrgreen: