increase layer length on twos

This section is dedicated to the feature & improvement requests (be sure what you are asking does not exist yet in TVPaint Animation ;) )
ZigOtto

Re: increase layer length on twos

Post by ZigOtto »

I am also feeling the same, a bit exasperated sometimes with the students,
it's puzzling me when some one ask for a feature I use all the time (custom-made button), but not present in tvpa "straight out of the box",
student : "how can I apply a keyframer-fx through my animlayer without breaking the exposures ...?
me : oh ... wait, I think I've the tool you need, it's called "FXonHeadOnly", ... somewhere in a tvpx file ... let go and pick it up from the server, must be there : Storage2D/animation/tools/... file named something like "AnimTools-Add_on.tvpx" or so ...
student : why it's not inbuilt in the native software ...?
me : heu... donno (mrgreen + embarrased emoticon) ... probably because we are too few people using/needing/asking for it ... :|
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

For the requests, you would had to ask on Friday, when Hervé was in a "add features mood" :mrgreen:
Peter Wassink

Post by Peter Wassink »

ZigOtto wrote:I am also feeling the same, a bit exasperated sometimes with the students,
it's puzzling me when some one ask for a feature I use all the time (custom-made button), but not present in tvpa "straight out of the box",
student : "how can I apply a keyframer-fx through my animlayer without breaking the exposures ...?
me : oh ... wait, I think I've the tool you need, it's called "FXonHeadOnly", ... somewhere in a tvpx file ... let go and pick it up from the server, must be there : Storage2D/animation/tools/... file named something like "AnimTools-Add_on.tvpx" or so ...
student : why it's not inbuilt in the native software ...?
me : heu... donno (mrgreen + embarrased emoticon) ... probably because we are too few people using/needing/asking for it ... :|
hahaha... i've been there a number of times... very recognizable!

but it used to be much worse.... especially before the animator panel was"built in"
Peter Wassink - 2D animator
• PC: Win11/64 Pro - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core - 64Gb RAM
• laptop: Win10/64 Pro - i7-4600@2.1 GHz - 16Gb RAM
ZigOtto

Post by ZigOtto »

Peter Wassink wrote:... but it used to be much worse.... especially before the animator panel was"built in"
:)
Elodie wrote:For the requests, you would had to ask on Friday, when Hervé was in a "add features mood" :mrgreen:
do you mean I have to exhume my old requests (copy/paste) every Friday, until I'lI get a sucessful "OK, next built " ...? :mrgreen:
lemec

Post by lemec »

Paul Fierlinger wrote:This part of TVP is at once my joy and my curse. My joy to work with but my pain to teach with. Sometimes demoing TVP straight out of the box makes me feel like a newbie all over again. If I wouldn't have a convincing track record and work to show for it, my students would have to think of me as an old dunce who can't remember his own software. I am so dependent on plugins and scripts and personal key commands that it would take me half a semester just to teach how to use what I've developed for myself. So I must teach out of the box and muddle through it the best I can.
I've been in that boat before. Customizing TVP can be a great art in itself due to the flexibility offered by custom panels, hotkeys, GRG scripts, plugins and "rooms".
(Win7x64, TVP Pro 11 32-bit)
Paul Fierlinger

Post by Paul Fierlinger »

I've been in that boat before. Customizing TVP can be a great art in itself due to the flexibility offered by custom panels, hotkeys, GRG scripts, plugins and "rooms".
And the thing is, we have grown into this expansive complexity one plugin at a time and don't appreciate how "unintuitive" it may seem to a newbie until you have the opportunity (or episodes of embarrassment) to teach with it. I have a lot of empathy for the newcomer who recognizes the obvious exceptionalism of the software but finds it hard to just get started when it's not really that hard at all. And by the same token I admire the few newcomers who find it all very easy right off the bat.
Paul
http://www.slocumfilm.com
Desktop PC Win10-Pro -64 bit OS; 32.0 GB RAM
Processor: i7-2600 CPU@3.40GHz
AMD FirePro V7900; Intuos4 Wacom tablet
hilere

Post by hilere »

And by the same token I admire the few newcomers who find it all very easy right off the bat.
Thanks Paul for admiring me. :lol:
ZigOtto

Post by ZigOtto »

Paul Fierlinger wrote:... I admire the few newcomers who find it all very easy right off the bat.
on my side, I admire the few newcomers who don't talk about photoshop in their 10 first posts on this forum ... :mrgreen:
Paul Fierlinger

My opening lines of my first day of class this year were: TVPaint is not Photoshop although it can do many things Photoshop does. I don't want to hear a word of comparison -- if you mention even once how Photoshop does things better or worse it will be reflected upon you grades. :evil:
Paul
Paul Fierlinger

hilere wrote:
And by the same token I admire the few newcomers who find it all very easy right off the bat.
Thanks Paul for admiring me. :lol:
I have been a great fan of you and your work way before Aura or even Photoshop came into existence. :|
Paul
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

Paul Fierlinger wrote:My opening lines of my first day of class this year were: TVPaint is not Photoshop although it can do many things Photoshop does. I don't want to hear a word of comparison -- if you mention even once how Photoshop does things better or worse it will be reflected upon you grades. :evil:
Haha, love that ! I'm sure you were very menacing and no one will try to dare you :mrgreen:
Byron

Post by Byron »

Hehe - I'm trying to remember if uttered the dreaded 'P' word when I first showed up here. :oops:
mox

Post by mox »

You shall not say a word of comparison! Paul The Grey :mrgreen:
Jerome Lorin
Moxica (playground)
(Win11/TVP 11.7.3-64 bits pro)
Sewie

Post by Sewie »

Byron wrote:Hehe - I'm trying to remember if uttered the dreaded 'P' word when I first showed up here. :oops:
I have on many occasions and I feel very guilty.
Michael Sewnarain - Website
Windows 11/64b Pro - TVP11.7.0 & 11.7.1 - Pro/64b - Cintiq32 Pro - Intel i7-12700K - 64Gb RAM
chatbraque

Post by chatbraque »

Sewie wrote: I have on many occasions and I feel very guilty.
Me too…
but actually, I DO NOT feel guilty :D :D (at all :oops: )
even if I agree for the most part : "Compare only comparable things" like Mathematicians says…
… Of course, the purpose of TVP is very different than photoshop's (especially animation), but there are some common functions
that can be compared (sketching, coloring)… besides that, it's very interesting to compare the different ways to solve similar problems between
both softwares… when you are an "Adobbe child", it's great to be aware that there is "another way to do it"… "another way to think it"

… and anyway, no trouble : "comparaison n'est pas raison" (old french proverb, XIIIe s - "to compare is not proving anything" … something like that 8))

"comparison" is my crutch… I'll throw it away when I'm cured :?
… I just hope to be able to domesticate TVP as well as I tamed 'toshop (wich is a great friend, for long)

You know… TVP's somewhat tricky… I feel like it drives me back to my "calculator's salad days"…
"every" pocket calculator had the same standard operating procedure… when, sometimes,
one of your friends lend you a "Hewlett packard/RPN" stuff :shock: :D
( What am I supposed to do with reverse polish notation ?? :D )
ZigOtto wrote: oh ... wait, I think I've the tool you need, it's called "FXonHeadOnly", ... somewhere in a tvpx file ... let go and pick it up from the server
"I would be glad to, Sir professor" :) … are you Ok to share it ? :D