Snap palettes together

This section is dedicated to the feature & improvement requests (be sure what you are asking does not exist yet in TVPaint Animation ;) )
KenC

Snap palettes together

Post by KenC »

Would be nice if you could snap floating palettes to eachother so that when moving them around you move everything. For example I use the color picker and the variations palette together all the time but I have to move both windows one a t a time. If they snapped you could easily group palettes you use together and save a lot of time.
There's no place like ~/
Peter Wassink

Re: Snap palettes together

Post by Peter Wassink »

KenC wrote:Would be nice if you could snap floating palettes to eachother so that when moving them around you move everything. For example I use the color picker and the variations palette together all the time but I have to move both windows one a t a time. If they snapped you could easily group palettes you use together and save a lot of time.
i believe that adobe patented this concept in the form of snapping tabbed panels together and it is not allowed to use it in other software, unlless you pay Adobe (quite a lot of money)
maybe its possible to find another, not patented form for this.
Peter Wassink - 2D animator
• PC: Win11/64 Pro - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core - 64Gb RAM
• laptop: Win10/64 Pro - i7-4600@2.1 GHz - 16Gb RAM
Svengali

Post by Svengali »

What if GEORGE could control palette display... included an optional x and y placement parameter? Then you'd be able to let the script calculate a relative offset for each palette you wanted to piggyback onto one parent.
KenC

Post by KenC »

I'm pretty sure I used programs that had floating windows that could snap together before adobe did it. What about winamp for example, you can snap windows together. There's lots of other apps where you can do the same.

I'm not so much looking for the whole "drag one palette into another" photoshop thing, just dragging a window near another and they move as a unit, surely they can't have a patent on that?

I _dispise_ the new tabbed interface in photoshop cs4 btw worst interface ever. Tabs constantly gets in my face and wont go away no matter what preferences I change. It was one of the many reasons I started looking for something else and found tvpaint.
There's no place like ~/
malcooning

Post by malcooning »

Windows snapping+sticking is certainly not patented and have existed in software way before Adobe CS series. Adobe might have patented a particular form of tab-turn-to-palette-minimize-maximize-detach bonanza, but it's only one way of doing it.
I think it's a nice idea for request.