Closing a palette with a button/command?

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
KenC

Closing a palette with a button/command?

Post by KenC »

I'm trying to create a sort of a menu system with custom palettes. I have one major palette with buttons to open sub palettes like an erasors palette, various brush palettes etc..

I'd like to close the sub palette when I pick a tool from it, so once I pick a tool I'm back to only having the main palette open. I'm trying to figure out what kind of an action I can use as the last that would close a named palette, or just the currently active one.

I'm thinking that I'd have to use "type a scripts command" and use the George language,but I just don't know the syntax to close a named palette.

Is there a George scripting language reference somewhere? I can program in a couple other languages like C/php so I can probably pick it up pretty easily.

I love that TVPaint can be scripted like this, I can't wait until payday so I can purchase my copy :D
There's no place like ~/
Fabrice

Re: Closing a palette with a button/command?

Post by Fabrice »

I'd like to close the sub palette when I pick a tool from it, so once I pick a tool I'm back to only having the main palette open. I'm trying to figure out what kind of an action I can use as the last that would close a named palette, or just the currently active one.
Hi Ken,

It's possible to open or close all custom panels right now, but I'm not sure you can close only the current one.
If not I think it could probably be added for the 9.5. I will ask to the dev team and let you know asap, it should not betoo much difficult to add in TVP.

About George and scripting, we use to send the SDK to our customers, as soon as they ask for it.
Fabrice Debarge
KenC

Post by KenC »

That would be great.

It could be quite a usefull little addition. I like to keep the workspace uncluttered, but I also tend to create a lot of custom stuff if a program allows that, so I end up with a mess of palettes and brushes. With a simple close current palette/toolbar script command, I could simply add that command as the last part of a button action, and the palette would close as soon as I clicked a button, leaving the workspace uncluttered.

I'll ask for the George SDK once I purchase my copy, thanks 8)
There's no place like ~/
Fabrice

Post by Fabrice »

Hi Ken,

Did you test the rooms ? (small 1 2 3 4 button at the bottom right) It could be useful for such matters.

I sent you a SDK by email. :)
Fabrice Debarge
KenC

Post by KenC »

Yeah I looked at the rooms, but I'm starting out with the stardard version which is not in there as far as I can see from the comparison chart. Gonna have to wait a couple months to upgrade to pro.

As far as I can tell George scripting is available in the standard version right?
There's no place like ~/
Fabrice

Post by Fabrice »

KenC wrote:Yeah I looked at the rooms, but I'm starting out with the stardard version which is not in there as far as I can see from the comparison chart. Gonna have to wait a couple months to upgrade to pro.

As far as I can tell George scripting is available in the standard version right?
Sure :-)
Fabrice Debarge
Svengali

Post by Svengali »

I like this suggestion, however...

"Close" can mean "hide" or could just mean "collapse". Both options would be useful.

I can't find any George script command that does either kind of "close" for individually panels.

Sven
Fabrice

Post by Fabrice »

Svengali wrote:I like this suggestion, however...

"Close" can mean "hide" or could just mean "collapse". Both options would be useful.

I can't find any George script command that does either kind of "close" for individually panels.

Sven
ok, it's a feature request :)
Fabrice Debarge
KenC

Post by KenC »

I meant close as in remove from screen, but collapse could be usefull to. For example you could create a group of palettes and have a shortcut that collapse and open the whole group.

The reason I want to use toolbars that can be closed via a script command, is that I can position them in the middle of the screen and they go away when I pick tools. I use a large monitor and I have to move my arm a lot from left to right to reach the sidepanels. It's much faster to work having the toolbars right in the middle, but then they get in the way, hence auto-closing when you pick a tool would fix that.

In photoshop I used a huge mess of an AutoHotKey script that interacted with the palettes by looking for the window classes to toggle them on and off and then catching the keyboard input, but in TVPaint all that's missing is a palette close command.
There's no place like ~/
Fabrice

Post by Fabrice »

It seems not very difficult to add in the software.

Just wait for the official release of TVP Animation 9.5 :D
Fabrice Debarge
Svengali

Post by Svengali »

Thanks Fabrice. :)
KenC

Post by KenC »

Sweet! many thanks for looking into it. :D

Looking forward to 9.5, I bet there's a lot of other cool stuff.
There's no place like ~/