Exporting out animation with a transparent BG...

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
kbakonyi

Exporting out animation with a transparent BG...

Post by kbakonyi »

Hi all, I'm new here, so I'm sorry if this question is answered elsewhere.

I've done a run cycle in TV paint with no background. It's colored and all, and I'm ready to export it. I want to take it into Adobe After Effects and combine it over a panning background there....

Is there a way to export out my animation with a transparent background so I can just drop it into After Effects as a layer on top of my background? I've tried a lot of different file formats but nothing seems to do it...

Oh, I'm using TV Paint 8.5 BTW.
Peter Wassink

Re: Exporting out animation with a transparent BG...

Post by Peter Wassink »

In the export panel under Format you can choose to export your animation as a quicktime or as a targa sequence.
But make sure that for Mode you choose RGBA (rgb + alpha) then the alpha channel will be included.

you also have to uncheck Background option or else this will get exported yoo leaving no alpha transparency.

By the way did you know you can move your background also in TVP using the keyframer?
best way to do it is open the BG in a seperate project and use the render tab of the keyframer FX to import the BG on a new animlayer.
using the position tab of the keyframer FX you can animated the desired movements
Peter Wassink - 2D animator
• PC: Win11/64 Pro - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core - 64Gb RAM
• laptop: Win10/64 Pro - i7-4600@2.1 GHz - 16Gb RAM
kbakonyi

Post by kbakonyi »

Thanks! I'll try that out a bit later (heading to bed now) :)

And yeah, I know I can move stuff around in TV paint, but because I'm doing some slightly complicated compositing stuff, and I've got a deadline to meet, I want to do it in AE for now (more familiar with it)

Thanks again! :)
kbakonyi

Post by kbakonyi »

Hey thanks Peter - I finally got to try it out, and it worked like a charm! :)