WIP Baby Face

Show us your drawings and animation made with the TVPaint technology here !
Sierra Rose

WIP Baby Face

Post by Sierra Rose »

I'm happy I have completed the design of this baby before we have to pack up all my tools and send them to Italy. I had to redraw all the positons due to ratio problem I had on my monitor.

I included his hands in this clip just to show their design...I know it looks funny that his hands come up but his arms don't move. I will take care of this in Rome.

It is a simple film...see the baby...he can roll his eyes...he can wiggle his tongue...he pulls his ears...he touches his nose...now he says "Bye Bye".

It is for 2 to 3 year olds. I'm making it for my little grandson.
Attachments
drops head.mov
(2.55 MiB) Downloaded 1177 times
WinXP 32bit 10.0.17Pro
ZigOtto

Re: WIP Baby Face

Post by ZigOtto »

I can't read your .mov file ... :?
Paul Fierlinger

Post by Paul Fierlinger »

Even VLC doesn't recognize it. :x
Paul
http://www.slocumfilm.com
Desktop PC Win10-Pro -64 bit OS; 32.0 GB RAM
Processor: i7-2600 CPU@3.40GHz
AMD FirePro V7900; Intuos4 Wacom tablet
Sierra Rose

Post by Sierra Rose »

odd. it opens fine on both my computers. I'll upload it again.

EDIT: I just uploaded it again and got the same Error message you did. Hmmmm....what can I do different since it opens fine now on 5 computers (I've heard back). Any ideas?

EDIT#2: I just uploaded it with a different name from a different computer to see if it will play.
Attachments
3-4 baby.mov
(1019.69 KiB) Downloaded 1116 times
Paul Fierlinger

It still fails on my two computers.
Paul
Sierra Rose

Post by Sierra Rose »

OK, Norman says to try this link:

http://www.box.net/shared/eniqhacanb

I'm going to send to myself to see if it works. It worked fine when I clicked on it in Box.
WinXP 32bit 10.0.17Pro
Paul Fierlinger

OK, this works. My impressions? You are getting very rigid in your pursuit for the most perfect rendition of reality. So close to perfection in form that all the soul has disappeared; yours and the baby's. Sierra it's become as stiff as 3D animation -- almost eerie I'd say. I suggest you walk around Italy with a light step and look out to sea and the vineyards and the spirit of centuries of beauty and soak in some of what makes the Italians the best designers in the world. Only then open your computer and start on another drawing, holding your stylus to draw as if your eyes were shut so that you are in touch with all the impressions of the past days. Artists have been converging on Italy for centuries to have just this sort of experience which never failed them. That's what I think. You need to search for something beyond accurate dimensions.
Paul
Sierra Rose

Post by Sierra Rose »

Well he's not so perfect in the rest of the clip. These are the basic design poses to ground all the rest. He get's away from the "perfection" as he lives and breathes. I know what you mean...but if I don't have a base, he's all over the map and I lose a sense of identity. Now that I have finally settled on the basic character design, I, myself, feel freer to let him rip.
WinXP 32bit 10.0.17Pro
Paul Fierlinger

But what do you mean by "all over the place?" We all feel differently about animation, so my words reflect only my experience and views and I have to say I don't get disturbed if I drift out of model as long as the acting is systematic and carries the spirit. On the other hand, you might be on the proper track because you are actually following the classical model of studying the human form; first drawing plastic human forms before advancing to real models. Now that you've explained why you made this I understand what you are after. Don't listen to me.
Paul
Jesoped

Post by Jesoped »

I think you should work on your spacing, the whole movement seems extremely mechanical (unless that is what you want). Just to have one frame with the hands coming up before they stop I think is way to little, and the head move would look much better with a slow in. I also miss some kind of upper body movement of the shoulders, babies are extremely moveable all the time (at least my 4 month old daughter is ; ) If I were to animate a baby I wouldn't choose to do such a rigid movement. But on the other hand you seem to have a pretty good understanding of the illustrative structure of a baby - you just need to loosen it all up in animation.
Sierra Rose

Post by Sierra Rose »

Well I certainly feel encouraged by all this feedback,heh heh.

I thought I explained this is only a pose sheeet and that I stuck the hands in there to show them. Didn't I say I know the arms don't move in my original post? The fact that babies are a mass of wiggling is what I like about drawing them. Here I was being strict to set the proportions.

By all over the map I mean that when I first started, I had been drawing children and it was hard for me to get an infant. He either looked like John McCain or a toddler. I had to redraw a lot to get him looking young enough. I had to really study babies and photos of babies to get the cranium right....the foreshortening was really hard for me. That's what I was showing here.

I'm somewhat tickled you think it looks 3D because I take it that I finally got his proportions good enough. Yes it is different for me....as I draw him, I can almost smell his sweet little head and feel his rubber smooth skin. Everything I find adorable in babies has been in my mind when drawing him and he has come from there.

I'm attaching what I have so far of the actual little film. Again....the hands and sleeves have been placed for the timing I want and not actually drawn yet. The voice over is not the final, but I want to keep the baby's chortle and laugh.

http://www.box.net/shared/vl6bym6ldy

Paul: Actually you can walk around Sonoma County with a light step and look out at the sea and the vineyards. Sometimes you are a tiny wee little bit condesending, friend Paul. :D
WinXP 32bit 10.0.17Pro
Paul Fierlinger

Paul: Actually you can walk around Sonoma County with a light step and look out at the sea and the vineyards. Sometimes you are a tiny wee little bit condesending, friend Paul. :D
Sure. It happens whenever I'm afraid I'm too critical and want to soften my landing. I'll go in the corner and keep my mouth shout for a year.
Paul
Sierra Rose

Post by Sierra Rose »

Well I don't mind if you hate my stuff, but I do mind if you talk down to me. You can learn a lot from people who are willing to call you soulless as long as they do it respectfully. Screwy, but true. :mrgreen:
WinXP 32bit 10.0.17Pro
ZigOtto

Post by ZigOtto »

:lol:
the first time for years I see Paul with another avatar than the "official" one !
this one suit you so well, but I doubt you'll be able to keep this muzzled version so long ...
"don't be too hard on yourself". :)
Paul Fierlinger wrote:... Don't listen to me.
that could be your new signature as well ...
and don't answer me : "hmmmmm hmmmmmm...." :mrgreen:
Sierra Rose

Post by Sierra Rose »

Don't spoil his moment...he's looks good with this gag.

This forum is quite interesting....you post a clip and instead of feedback on it, you get a little soap opera.
WinXP 32bit 10.0.17Pro