change location of default settings

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
Animark

change location of default settings

Post by Animark »

Hello,

we are using TVPaint Animation 9 Pro in a multiuser workspace. We have installed 3 of our 10 Licenses on XP SP2 PCs and it works fine. Now, we will search for a way to save the TVPaint settings at another place as in the users profile, because the profile will be deleted everytime after users logout.

I've searched inside the forum and found a solution, where to add the line ConfigsDir="my config place" in a file called "tvpaint animation.ini".
The Problem is, that I cannot find that ini-file. Where is the place to find this file, or is there a new file for TVPaint Animation 9?

It would be great to geht an answer :-)
Thanks and regards from Animark
TVPaint 10.5.7 - Win10/64
TVPaint 11.0.8 - Win10/64
TVPaint 11.0.8 - Win10/64 (Wacom Companion 2)
Hervé
Site Admin

Re: change location of default settings

Post by Hervé »

Hi Animark
TVP Animation 9 no longer use the "tvpaint animation.ini" file.
To change the config folder add a key in the registry:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/TVPaint Developpement/TVP Animation Pro/configsdir
Hervé ADAM, TVPaint Team
Animark

Post by Animark »

Hi Hervé,

thanks for your very fast reply. We tried to set the Key in the registry but it didn't worked. Maybe you will have another hint for us. Here are some facts:

- When a user is logged in, there is no "HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/TVPaint Developpement/TVP Animation Pro/" in the registry.
- When the admin is logged in, there is the "HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/TVPaint Developpement/TVP Animation Pro/". We added the Config-Key there, but nothing changed, when logged in again as a user.
- When the user is logged in, there is only "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\TVPaint Developpement". We have also tried to add the Config-Key there, but nothing happened again.

Do you have an idea?

Thanks again from Animark
Hervé
Site Admin

Post by Hervé »

HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/TVPaint Developpement/TVP Animation Pro/ is the user settings ( not the computer settings ), the software create it at the first run.
Contact your system administrator to set the value in the default user registry.
Hervé ADAM, TVPaint Team
Animark

Post by Animark »

Sorry, we didn't get it to work :-(

- there is no "HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/TVPaint Developpement/TVP Animation Pro/" in the registry, also while TVPaint is running.
- we tried to add the Key manually in "HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software", but it also didn't work.

What is TVPaint doing, when it dont find its registry-key anywhere?
In every case we tried, it copys the "Default Config"-folder from its install directory to the current logged in user directory. Here it is "C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\username\Anwendungsdaten\tvp animation 9 pro".

Some more ideas?

Thanks again from Animark
Hervé
Site Admin

Post by Hervé »

TVP Read this key a the startup , if this value doesn't exists TVP keep the default folder

create a string named "configsdir" in
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\TVPaint Developpement\TVP Animation 9 Pro]
and set the value with your new config folder

Code: Select all

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\TVPaint Developpement\TVP Animation 9 Pro]
"configsdir"="c:\\MyConfigFolder"
Hervé ADAM, TVPaint Team
Animark

Post by Animark »

mhm,

I think that is exactly what we (me and the systemadmin of our filmschool) did. And we have been very creative. We tried to set it as a key and, after it didn't worked, we tried the other possibilities of setting values in the registry. The point is, that the hole registry entry of TVPaint is not there. It dont exist anywhere, also when TVPaint is running. I've browsed the hole registry to find it - nothing. We created it manually under HKEY_CURRENT_USER and under HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT. Nothing happend anytime.
"configsdir"="c:\\MyConfigFolder"
We have written ..."c:\MyConfigFolder". With only one backslash after the c: in the path. Does TVPaint needs this doublebackslash?

Also, we have found a file after TVPaints started called "system.ini" at the same place, where the defaults are copied to. When we change the content to, lets say
[System]config=MyConfigs it creates a new Folder "MyConfigs" in the same directory and filled it with the defaults. We tried to use this file to make a new Folder on another Harddisk, but we failed. TVPaint doesn't accepted the path we wrote. Anyway, I like more to have a value in the registry to solve our personal claim.

I am afraid, that the problem is based somewhere in our multiuser environment.
I am at home now and we will try next steps tomorrow.
ZigOtto

Post by ZigOtto »

Hervé wrote:... TVP Animation 9 no longer use the "tvpaint animation.ini" file.
To change the config folder add a key in the registry:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/TVPaint Developpement/TVP Animation Pro/configsdir
sending customers to potter about windows Registry editor is a bit rude and very unfriendly imo ...
I have encountered the same kind of trouble when I was trying to set the old popx, popy settings,
my attempt to fix the popup box straddling my 2 monitors, half on the first and half on the second one,
had failed, I am still living with that "thing" between the 2 monitors for the time being ... :(
so, from my user "lamba" point of view, I don't consider retiring the tvpaint.ini file as an improvement,
unless we'll get a little magic tool where we can simply enter our desired command(s) :

configsdir=E:\Program Files\TVPaint\
then [OK], and the tool will do all the job (key registering) for us,
with a message "Done" at the end of the process.
without this handy magic tool (embeded in the Preference panel...?),
I'm pleading for the tvpa.ini file REVIVAL ...
Animark

Post by Animark »

Hi,

I think we have solved the problem a little bit.
My admin wrote a little script (startTVPaint.bat). After starting the script it changes a environment variable to set the userprofile to a different place. Then it starts TVPaint and TVPaint is looking at the new place for the defaults. Here is the little script:

@echo off
SET Userprofile=U:\meine_einstellungen_tvpaint

"C:\Programme\TVPaint Developpement\TVP Animation 9 Pro\TVP Animation 9 Pro"
Before we have to create this new folder manually and create a "desktop" folder in it. This works at the moment and we will test it the next days. Maybe we will get in trouble with other software running at the same time.

Meanwhile we have many problems with the sentinel license server. Some of our clients find their license over the network, others don´t.
Is there a possibility to reset a TVPaint Installation to register ist again? That would be helpful to find the problemmakers in our network. We think, that some of our installations don´t search their license over the network and we would like to force TVPaint, to search the network.

Thanks and regards from Animark
Animark

Post by Animark »

OK, here is another Question about the configsdir-thing.

Now, we've installed TVPaint on my laptop at work, part of the same multiuser-environment like the other PCs. I also don't have admin-rights on my laptop so it seems to be the same situation than on our other workstations. After starting TVPaint creates the registry entrys inside "HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/". I've added the configsdir entry and TVPaint accepts it. Fine :-), it works!

The Question is, does anybody knows, why our other TVPaint Installations cannot create registry entrys inside "HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/"?
They either don´t create the entrys and don't look there for the entrys when we created them manually.
Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks from Animark.