Opening a Project in TVP 9

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
tonydusko

Opening a Project in TVP 9

Post by tonydusko »

I reciently upgraded from Mirage to TVP 9.0.2 and I notice a difference when opening projects. I always liked it in Mirage how when you open a project in Mirage and then go back and open another project, it puts you back in the list at the same point where you were. So when you have a folder full of projects, you don't have to always scroll down from the beginning each time you open up a project. But now in TVP 9, each time I go to open up another project, it puts me back to the beginning of the list. Is there a setting I am not seeing.
Tony
Paul Fierlinger

Re: Opening a Project in TVP 9

Post by Paul Fierlinger »

Tony, are you talking about the folder you see when you use TVP's browser?
Paul
http://www.slocumfilm.com
Desktop PC Win10-Pro -64 bit OS; 32.0 GB RAM
Processor: i7-2600 CPU@3.40GHz
AMD FirePro V7900; Intuos4 Wacom tablet
tonydusko

Post by tonydusko »

It is the folder when I click on "open" from the "File" drop-down menu. Is that the browser?
Tony
Paul Fierlinger

That would be the browser. Aren't all items listed in folders in alphabetical order? Can it be that you had your MS settings once set to view in a different way than you have it now? In my experience I always had to use the scroll button to find the projects at the bottom of the alpha-numerical list.
Paul
tonydusko

Post by tonydusko »

The projects are in alphabetical order. I just liked how Mirage always put me back at the spot I just was when I go back in the browser to open another project. Actually TVP 8 did is like Mirage also. You see, when I open TVP in the morning, I often open a bunch of projects and now I have to scroll from the top of the order each time and with thumbnail preview, that is a lot of scrolling each time. And that is the other thing BTW; I wish my scrollbar on my laptop touch pad worked with TVP since it works with every other program on my computer.
Tony
Paul Fierlinger

O.K., I get it now. You are right; it doesn't keep the place which you last used anymore! But some things still do that, like Picture Palette, or other bins.
Paul
Paul Fierlinger

I just learned this from Herve:

The trick is not to use the TVP File browser. Just drop your files from the windows explorer directly on the TVPA interface.

I had no idea! :mrgreen:
Paul
tonydusko

Post by tonydusko »

Wow, that really works! I had no idea either. I do believe this is a great solution for me.

THANKS!
Tony
Svengali

Post by Svengali »

Tony,
I'm not sure whether it has been posted at TVP forum before, but here is a nice little add-on for the Windows file browser that lets you create a "favorites" list of file folders (puts a heart icon in the titlebar). I use it all the time. It should work quite well with Paul's drag-and-drop TVP file tip!

It's called FileBox Extender and is free. Download from the following link (there is also a good introduction to what it does and how it can be used at the same link.)

FileBox Extender

Sven
tonydusko

Post by tonydusko »

Thanks Svengali. I have been looking for something like this. And you can't beat the price. I was debating even posting this thread and now I am so glad I did.
Tony
Paul Fierlinger

Sven, this is a great little bugger. I got to love it when I started using it in Vegas. It's hard to describe what it REALLY does until one starts using it. Simple to install and one can start using it without reading anything. Thanks so much.
Paul
Svengali

Post by Svengali »

After you use FileBox Extender for a bit you might want to customize some of the settings...

The last entry in the dropdown box that opens when you click on the heart icon is "Configure..." Selecting that opens the customizing window with five tab groups.

The Favorites tab - lets you organize and order your favorites list and create sub-folders to group categories of favorites

The Settings tab - lets you check various boxes to customize how the buttons work. I found that checking the Explorer folders box for the Favorites button makes the button show up on the explorer title bar - this is useful. I also changed the Move FbX buttons to the left setting - pixels = 20 because sometimes the favorite button or the pin button can obscure the default title bar buttons (like minimize and maximize or even the X close button).

There are some other things inside the tabs there you might want to tweak too.

When you are done, DON'T CLICK EXIT (that quits and FileBox Extender stops working.) Instead, just press the Hide button to close the customizing window and you're all set.

- - - - -

Someone on another forum was raving about FileBox Extender and I had to see why it was so great... I was happy I did!

Sven
Last edited by Svengali on 18 Sep 2008, 20:28, edited 1 time in total.
Paul Fierlinger

I've already checked out everything you described here, including EXIT :) What I need FileBox mostly for is Vegas because I have my film divided into 15 sections. It's like working on 15 films at the same time and the same goes for TVP of course.

Each film has the same set of sub folders and depending on which part of the compilation I'm working on I'll have my aim on certain folders for a number of days after which I'll switch to an entirely different combination of folders I access many times a day. To have the ability to pick out the current repeats for fast access directly from Vegas or TVP is just fantastic. Directory Opus does something similar but, of course, you have to first go to OPUS. With this little plugin you just got to FileBox which sits on the toolbar of every single folder you open.

What a concept, but I'd say that it's going to be appreciated mostly by people who have to work all the time on multiple projects from the same applications.
Paul