Tablet PC Recommendations

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
Richtoon

Tablet PC Recommendations

Post by Richtoon »

I am in a possition to get a new laptop/tablet PC.
I want to get something that will work really well for 2D graphics and animation. Is there something in the TAblet PC market that would be better than average for animaiton?
-Largest possible screen.
-Lots of ram/HD Space
-Good video card...blah blah blah...

I am leaning towards Gateway® C-142XL because Wacom is associated with it.

Do you have any recommmendations?
Or am I still better off with a more powerful laptop with a wacom connected to it? (Just crappy for portability).

Thanks in advance.
Richtoon
malcooning

Re: Tablet PC Recommendations

Post by malcooning »

Richtoon wrote:I am leaning towards Gateway® C-142XL because Wacom is associated with it.
almost all tablets nowadays use Wacom digitizers.

a TabletPC is very recommended. the usage is very different from an external tablet, and drawing directly on the screen can be very addictive and productive. Besides, if you don't feel like using the screen as a tablet, just plug in an external tablet.

I have the Gateway c140x and I'm happy with it.
Richtoon

Post by Richtoon »

Thanks!!
Do you use the pen that what it came with it? Or do you use a wacom pen? Does it matter? Do you have a fairly nice line with the Gateway Tablet PC?

Richtoon
oliveuk

Post by oliveuk »

Richtoon, I would suggest you to type TabletPC in the search box on the top right. There has a been few really interesting posts about TabletPC and TV PAint

That one for example

http://www.tvpaint.com/forum/viewtopic. ... t=tabletpc

Olive
Richtoon

Post by Richtoon »

Thanks. Read through all of that! Ver helpful.

I still really like the Gateway C142XL....Love the bigger screen wide screen format. the bad news. They don't sell them in Canada... Not even online!?!?! What's that about?

So next in line, is the Fujitsu LifeBook T1442. But its twice the price. No firewire. Hmmm....

So hard to make a final choice.

Thanks for the link!
Richtoon
tonydusko

Post by tonydusko »

I use a TC4400 Tablet PC by HP. (although I think HP is replacing it with the 2710p now) I love animating with a tablet PC as I enjoy the portability, but also being able to draw directly on the screen. I will offer one tip: I do not like the pens that come with Tablet PC computers. They are too short usually and only have one button on the barrel. I like having two buttons, one for erasing and the other as an undo. But finding a replacement pen with two buttons can be difficult. I was able to find one on Ebay that was actually a Wacom pen but made for a desktop Sony VIAO computer that had a Wacom enabled screen. I love the pen so much that I ordered a spare. I am not sure if you can still get them. Of course, it is possible that some OEM pens might have two buttons (perhaps Motion Computing) but I do know that HP Tablet PC's have only one.
Tony
djm99001

Post by djm99001 »

I, like tonydusko, use the HP tc4400. It's cheap and fast, has no optical drive, a 1024x768 screen, no firewire (but I got a pcmcia firewire port for 18 dollars here:http://www.monoprice.com/products/produ ... 1&format=2). It works fine--I've used it for DV transfers and regular data stuff.
I got the Cintiq 18SX pen to use as my stylus -- it's 70 dollars and worth every penny. http://direct.wacom.com/stores/5/Cintiq ... 178C62.cfm
I use the Nostromo n52 speedpad as my shortcut key device when the tablet is in slate position. Recommended purchase from eBay. I had the Shuttle Xpress but there is a slight lag so it's not a responsive tool for flipping. The wheel on the Nostromo does not have the lag.

The TC4400 can be had *very* cheaply on eBay these days -- I just saw a 2GHz Core 2 Duo model sell for 600 dollars. Remember, low screen res and no optical drive. But if you can get over those hurdles, it's a great tabletPC.

The others I've played with have all (perhaps as a symptom of a higher screen resolution) suffered from a "cursor lag" which makes me feel frustrated and itchy.

Hope I've helped,
David
tonydusko

Post by tonydusko »

Will all Cintiq pens work on a Penabled Tablet PC or just the 18SX?
Tony
ZigOtto

Post by ZigOtto »

afaik, the old Cintiq15X /Cintiq18SX pens work on tablet-pc (wacom refs: UP-813E and UP-911E-02 ),
but new Cintiq21UX/Cintiq12WX pen don't , (wacom ref: ZP-501E, pen Intuos3 compatible).

another good alternative is the Wacom Penabled Cross Executive pen (with cap or capless),
it's heavier in hand, and it works pretty well on screen.
tonydusko

Post by tonydusko »

I have a Cross pen and I like it a lot. I only wish it had two side buttons. I did not know the old Cintiq pens work on Tablet PC computers. I am going to order an 18sx. Thanks for the info!
Tony
JohnArtbox

Post by JohnArtbox »

I've had the HP TX250O for a few weeks and I'm very happy with it. Its my second tablet and an improvement in almost every way.
With TVPaint it's fantastic. Painting is responsive and everything happens quickly and effortlessly. The only downsides are the screen is of the reflective type and the fan is a little bit louder than some other machines. The screen is still good enough to work outside in the shade. I use a wacom pen from my old tablet because the hp pen's barrel button is flush and hard to locate by touch.

The extended battery is a good investment as it tilts the machine into a slightly sloped position and improves airflow under the machine. 3D performance is superb for a tablet; and sound quality is pretty good for a laptop of this size.

www.tabletpcreview.com have a fairly comprehensive review if you haven't read it.

Regards

John