WIP: Sauna Tango

Show us your drawings and animation made with the TVPaint technology here !
ZigOtto

Re: WIP: Sauna Tango

Post by ZigOtto »

toonsisters wrote:to zigotto:
thanks for the suggestion.
actually we did not use a light source.
I must admit we just copied the animation layer in black, warped it on the floor in 20% opacity and adjusted it by a key framer fx.
To avoid this overlapping you discoverd, I think I can just merge the shaddow levels.
exactly, merge the 2 shadow layers in a single one will fix the overlapping issue.
toonsisters wrote:... Do you think we could get a better result by using a ligth fx?
And do you think a newbee like me could realize it in an acceptable amount of time?
Then please let me know which effect and which parameters I should try.
No, I would keep following your way, but avoid the pure "black" color, use a dark color instead (as they use to do in Fierlinger Studio), to match the overall colored ambient of the scene, or go to a complementary tone (or blueished f.i. if you're outside, under a clear blue sky),
my personnal way is a bit different : for shadow projected on the background, and to keep more flexibility (more color tuning ability) in the shadow rendering, I start as you did, (duplicate, Keyframe/warping adjust the animlayer), I turn ON its Stencil gadget and Hide it, then I duplicate the BG layer (make the copy an Animlayer), and I apply a color sliders_FX to darken the shadow area, (lowering the Gamma, Contrast, Gain and Brightness, + tone tuning the Gamma to adjust the predonimant tone, mostly I turn slightly to blue to bring down the color temperature). You can go to be a bit excessive in darkening, then set this BG-bis layer transparency at 50-70% with the original BG underneath.

in this quick-made, poor attached exemple, the advantage is not glaring, but when fine-tuning a color balance in a rich scene, it's important to keep mastering the shadow rendering, and a [black+transparency] level isn't always satisfying when it goes to subtil color management. my 2 cents.
Attachments
Stencil-shadow.png
MCvL

Post by MCvL »

My dear Animationfriends.
Thanks for your respectfull words and help.
Hope you will like the final result !

with kind regards,
Matthias
Last edited by MCvL on 27 Nov 2009, 14:09, edited 1 time in total.
Fabrice

Post by Fabrice »

Hi Matthias,

you are welcome :)
Fabrice Debarge