TVPaint 11.7.3 broke Antialising

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
Soom

TVPaint 11.7.3 broke Antialising

Post by Soom »

I am working both on Mac and Windows. What a surprise was to discover that since TVPaint 11.7.3 on Windows the AAliasing>Smart option is gone, but on the Mac version it still exists! It is also gone completely from the Beta 12 version both on Mac and on Windows. Since this refers also to TVP 11.7.3 I will repeat this issue here too. Please bring the Smart option back on both versions and please do not take it away - this option is essential to any normal workflow!

Mac:
tvp_AA_11-7-3-Mac.png
tvp_AA_11-7-3-Mac.png (41.03 KiB) Viewed 570 times
at home: Hackintosh Intel Core i9-9900K, GPU AMD RX 6600 8GB, Cintiq 22" + Dell P2415Q 4K displays, MAC OS High Sierra / Windows 10, TVP Pro 11.7.1 + TVP Pro beta
at work: Windows 10, TVP 11.7.1 Std
https://vimeo.com/danas
Dean
Site Admin

Re: TVPaint 11.7.3 broke Antialising

Post by Dean »

Hello Soom, this is likely just a naming error and the Anti-aliasing modes still work the same in v11. We will take a look into this.
Now, without revealing too much because this part of the forum is dedicated to v11 exclusively, the changes we brought to AA in the upcoming v12 made the presence of the "Smart" mode irrelevant.
Experienced users like you know too well that even using "smart" AA in v11 won't prevent your drawings from deterioting when doing certain transformations.

Also, your post was edited to remove the v12 beta screenshot it contained, please avoid doing this in the future.
Probably a vampire
Peter Wassink

Post by Peter Wassink »

It seems something did change.
the name 'high' and 'highest' are a bit confusing because 'highest' has the same algorithm as 'high' but the difference is that it applies it in a smart way.
that is why it should remain and it does make sense if its called smart and not highest (because the AAliasing itself is not different or higher then high)

What makes it 'smart' is that while it uses the 'high' anti-aliasing algorithm for rotation and scaling it uses 'none' when there is no scaling or rotation happening.
in other words it keeps the brush exactly as it is, every pixel stays the same when you move the brush around...no algorithm is necessary or wanted and this is... smart!
whereas 'high' will reinterpret the brush on a subpixel basis.
We need to have the option to choose these different AA modes.
Peter Wassink - 2D animator
• PC: Win11/64 Pro - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core - 64Gb RAM
• laptop: Win10/64 Pro - i7-4600@2.1 GHz - 16Gb RAM
Soom

Post by Soom »

Dean wrote: 05 Apr 2024, 08:44 Hello Soom, this is likely just a naming error and the Anti-aliasing modes still work the same in v11. We will take a look into this.
Now, without revealing too much because this part of the forum is dedicated to v11 exclusively, the changes we brought to AA in the upcoming v12 made the presence of the "Smart" mode irrelevant.
Experienced users like you know too well that even using "smart" AA in v11 won't prevent your drawings from deterioting when doing certain transformations.

Also, your post was edited to remove the v12 beta screenshot it contained, please avoid doing this in the future.
Hi Dean - I am sure this was a screenshot from TVPaint 11.7.3 on Windows, not Tvpaint 12. Sorry for mentioning TVP12, I won't do that again - I only mentioned it to show the consistency of this overlook.

The answer about the irrelevance of Smart option is given by Peter - this is exactly what I mean: Smart was not about high quality, but it was an algorithm that could decide if to apply None in case of no scaling or rotation was done, or High in case rotation or scaling was done.
Peter Wassink wrote: 05 Apr 2024, 14:14 It seems something did change.
the name 'high' and 'highest' are a bit confusing because 'highest' has the same algorithm as 'high' but the difference is that it applies it in a smart way.
that is why it should remain and it does make sense if its called smart and not highest (because the AAliasing itself is not different or higher then high)

What makes it 'smart' is that while it uses the 'high' anti-aliasing algorithm for rotation and scaling it uses 'none' when there is no scaling or rotation happening.
in other words it keeps the brush exactly as it is, every pixel stays the same when you move the brush around...no algorithm is necessary or wanted and this is... smart!
whereas 'high' will reinterpret the brush on a subpixel basis.
We need to have the option to choose these different AA modes.
at home: Hackintosh Intel Core i9-9900K, GPU AMD RX 6600 8GB, Cintiq 22" + Dell P2415Q 4K displays, MAC OS High Sierra / Windows 10, TVP Pro 11.7.1 + TVP Pro beta
at work: Windows 10, TVP 11.7.1 Std
https://vimeo.com/danas
Dean
Site Admin

Post by Dean »

We found where the naming errors come from and they are currently being fixed.
My colleagues are currently writing a detailed response to the beta testers' questions about the new AA algorithms in the Beta forum, as it is a v12 matter.

No code linked to AA was touched for v11.7.3 and I just did a quick test in both 11.7.1 and 11.7.3 to check if line decay is the same between them, I used 5 rotations of 72 degrees (attached screenshots).

Soom, your screenshot showed some of the v12 UI changes, which is what made us see that it needed to be hidden for now.
Attachments
i_view32_70LdV3kx3i.png
i_view32_MvWgyLrSl8.png
Probably a vampire