Mac mcd Q while in keyboard shortcut menu quits TVPaint

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
Joost

Mac mcd Q while in keyboard shortcut menu quits TVPaint

Post by Joost »

Hi there!

Just a warning:
I was in the keyboard shortcut menu trying to figure out a new keyboard shortcut, and accidentally hit "cmd Q" (Mac way to quit programs), it showed me the right keyboard shortcut. And then, after I closed the menu. TVPaint quit immediately. At first I thought it crashed, but after a while I realised TVP just quit because I hit this keyboard shortcut while I was in the keyboard shortcut window. Maybe you should prevent this from happening :)

Best,

Joost
Mac OS 13.4.1 , Mac Studio 2023, 32GB RAM, Wacom Cintiq 27 QHD (no touch), Wacom Driver 6.4.2-4.
TVP Pro 11.7.1
Agneta

Re: Mac mcd Q while in keyboard shortcut menu quits TVPaint

Post by Agneta »

Cmd Q is a MacOS system shortcut and it doesn’t have much to do with TVPaint specifically.
Accidental quitting of apps with this shortcut is an old „issue“ for Mac users.
There are several workarrounds you can find in different Mac- Forums, in case you find the shortcut annoying:

https://apple.stackexchange.com/questio ... q-for-quit
Lukas

Post by Lukas »

Agneta wrote: 21 Mar 2024, 16:14 Cmd Q is a MacOS system shortcut and it doesn’t have much to do with TVPaint specifically.
There are several workarrounds you can find in different Mac- Forums, in case you find the shortcut annoying:

There's plenty of applications that don't trigger the quit function when pressing Cmd+Q from within a shortcuts setting menu though.
I just tested it with two other drawing applications (Photoshop and Aseprite), and both don't try to quit when hitting Cmd+Q while editing shortcuts.
It's not a macOS issue, but a TVPaint issue. Disabling Cmd+Q system wide is a bit drastic and wouldn't recommend it to anyone. :)
  • Lukas Sketch Panel
  • TVPaint Pro 11.7.3
  • MacBook Pro 2018 macOS Ventura 13.4.1 + PC Windows 10
  • Wacom Cintiq 27QHD + Wacom Intuos4
  • YouTube.com/@ClubBaboo
  • YouTube.com/@FrameOrder
Agneta

Post by Agneta »

mm, you’re right! It doesn’t try to quit indeed!
It doesn’t sound reasonable trying to assign this shortcut though. But yeah, the OP was mentioning an accidental clicking, not assigning.

Generally speaking, Adobe Apps are better synched with Mac. TV Paint seems to have quite a few issues with MacOS, and this one sounded like an extra feature, than an issue at this point. But that's another topic of course.
Joost

Post by Joost »

Agneta wrote: 21 Mar 2024, 16:14 Cmd Q is a MacOS system shortcut and it doesn’t have much to do with TVPaint specifically.

This is not a Mac issue at all. This is just how the Mac functions. It would be the same to say " It's a Windows issue when you hit the red cross in the corner of a program, it closes all of a sudden".

The issue is TVPaint is not preventing keyboard shortcuts to execute something when I'm in the keyboard shortcut menu. This is something that of course should be fixed. Not a very big deal, But I cannot imagine the TVPaint team won't agree with me.
Mac OS 13.4.1 , Mac Studio 2023, 32GB RAM, Wacom Cintiq 27 QHD (no touch), Wacom Driver 6.4.2-4.
TVP Pro 11.7.1
Dean
Site Admin

Post by Dean »

This has been added to the to-do list (:
Probably a vampire
Joost

Post by Joost »

Thanks!
TVP Pro 11.7.1