Any plans for TVpaint 12? will it adopt AI technology?

To talk about anything else
yalih

Any plans for TVpaint 12? will it adopt AI technology?

Post by yalih »

I'm just curious
are there any plans to improve our work with AI tools?
I trust TVpaint to do a better adaptation of AI technology to help traditional 2d animators
so that AI will not replace our creativity but will allow us to create more and faster
ill be happy to hear what is TVpaint opinion about this topic and how it can improve our lives while keeping it's traditional methods. i hope to keep drawing and sketching my animation
and still have an easier process for clean up and coloring, shadows, and lights.

thanks to anyone participating in this discussion.
[vimeo]https://vimeo.com/yali[/vimeo]
slowtiger

Re: Any plans for TVpaint 12? will it adopt AI technology?

Post by slowtiger »

Oh please.
There is no such thing as "AI tools", especially not for 2D animation. There have been attempts to automatic inbetweening (so far no success) and semi-automatic coloring (may work in certain settings). Other than that there's no tools available right now.

I could imagine some API to an AI engine, for maybe stuff like "sketch some animation, then let the programm fill it with the images it had learned", but it's highly unlikely that any 2D animation package on the market will ever offer that feature, because a) AI enginges are so fundamentally different from how animation software work, b) you wouldn't want to be restricted to just one of these engines, and c) that stuff is changing fast, there's no chance to keep up with new versions. As long as there's no unified interface for all this stuff you cannot expect any kind of integration. You may get some scripts for specific import/export.
TVP 10.0.18 and 11.0 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
TVP 11.0 and 11.7 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
TVP 11.7 Mac Mini M2pro 32GB OS 13.5
Jet

Post by Jet »

slowtiger wrote: 25 Aug 2023, 14:00 There is no such thing as "AI tools", especially not for 2D animation. There have been attempts to automatic inbetweening (so far no success) and semi-automatic coloring (may work in certain settings). Other than that there's no tools available right now.
Actually Japanese companies are developing AI assistant celpainting tools (and one group have already demonstrated theirs is more accurate than Cadmium) with plans for commercialization. They also explain the ability to custom train the model on your own data very quickly, so the model can be trained as you use it I guess becoming more accurate over time for your project. Article: https://tech.imagicagroup.co.jp/res/5733/

There's also people working on tween, voice and sound generators as well as AI image filter generators (so we can make our basic round brush artwork look like old cel/VHS just by prompting it). I don't expect TVPaint style software to focus on those areas it's just to make the point, this stuff is around the corner whether we like it or not and the industry is about to change in a big way.

So I think it's a good question to ask, these are tools I will have to use and pay for to stay competitive, so I also wonder what software like TVPaint has in store for the future.
OS: Win 11 / RAM: 128GB / GPU: RTX 3080 Ti / Display: Cintiq 27
Dean
Site Admin

Post by Dean »

Hello, a v12 is being worked on and also being tested by a select few. Its new tools will be announced when development is in its final phase, however no plans for AI tools are currently underway for this version.
We would like to wait and observe how things evolve regarding the use of AI, as it is already creating legal standoffs here and there.
Probably a vampire