Can TVPaint be used on more than one device?

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
zorrosol

Can TVPaint be used on more than one device?

Post by zorrosol »

Hey everyone! I'm thinking about purchasing TVPaint but I'm wondering if I can use it on both computers I own or only one. I'm getting my PC repaired at the moment, I'm using my macbook but the PC is more powerful so I would like to know if I'll be able to use it on any of the two computers whenever I want.
D.T. Nethery

Re: Can TVPaint be used on more than one device?

Post by D.T. Nethery »

You can rehost your licence of TVPaint to as many computers as you want, but you can only use the license on one computer at a time.

For example, I have my TVPaint license running on my desktop Mac in my studio, but if I need to travel I can re-host the license to run on my Macbook .
Last edited by D.T. Nethery on 17 Jul 2023, 12:33, edited 1 time in total.

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
Dean
Site Admin

Post by Dean »

Yes exactly, also the license rehosting process takes only a few seconds:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J11FGi51FuU
Probably a vampire
TVPUSER

Post by TVPUSER »

Is it somehow possible to allow us to give clearance for more than one pc? It is inconvenient to always unhost the license from my PC every time I go out.. I know you're trying to prevent piracy with these measures but it also makes it really inconvenient to those of us who work between an office and mobile.
TVPaint 11.7 Pro 64, Windows 10 Home
i7-8700k, 48GB, RTX 2080 8G, Cintiq Pro 24 (3840x2160)
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

TVPUSER wrote: 17 Jul 2023, 17:02 Is it somehow possible to allow us to give clearance for more than one pc? It is inconvenient to always unhost the license from my PC every time I go out.. I know you're trying to prevent piracy with these measures but it also makes it really inconvenient to those of us who work between an office and mobile.
I understand what you are saying , but I have to smile a bit , because the big complaint about TVPaint used to be the dongle , no one seemed to like the dongle, but the dongle allowed just that amount of flexibility in transferring our license from one computer to another. Any computer I use: desktop, laptop , or one of my school's computers in the animation lab, I could plug in my dongle to a USB port and have my license of TVPaint run on whichever computer I currently had the dongle plugged into. So now , there is no dongle, but we do have to go through the re-hosting procedure.

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
TVPUSER

Post by TVPUSER »

D.T. Nethery wrote: 17 Jul 2023, 18:28
TVPUSER wrote: 17 Jul 2023, 17:02 Is it somehow possible to allow us to give clearance for more than one pc? It is inconvenient to always unhost the license from my PC every time I go out.. I know you're trying to prevent piracy with these measures but it also makes it really inconvenient to those of us who work between an office and mobile.
I understand what you are saying , but I have to smile a bit , because the big complaint about TVPaint used to be the dongle , no one seemed to like the dongle, but the dongle allowed just that amount of flexibility in transferring our license from one computer to another. Any computer I use: desktop, laptop , or one of my school's computers in the animation lab, I could plug in my dongle to a USB port and have my license of TVPaint run on whichever computer I currently had the dongle plugged into. So now , there is no dongle, but we do have to go through the re-hosting procedure.
The dongle is an interesting issue, everyone I know who uses to paint is happy to say goodbye to it. But this business of tying your license to one pc at a time and having to manually transfer is also unfriendly. It is better than the dongle but still could be improved in terms of user experience. I often think to what Steam does. It is possible to log in to steam with multiple user accounts, however if a game/app is being used on a PC, it prevents the others from launching any other software. I bring my laptop with me for extended outings sometimes and I have frequently found myself lamenting that I can't use the software I payed for just because I forgot to rehost my license every time I left my desk.
TVPaint 11.7 Pro 64, Windows 10 Home
i7-8700k, 48GB, RTX 2080 8G, Cintiq Pro 24 (3840x2160)
Dean
Site Admin

Post by Dean »

Even if it doesn't seem to change much these days, we have been constantly working on improving the License Depot's page functionalities and something that might help you is being worked on currently.
It takes time because the big challenge with improving this system is that TVPaint licenses are not cloud based, which could have been problematic for some users, so a system à la Steam is not possible at the moment.
Probably a vampire