TVPaint lags if left open for too long (works fine after closing and re-opening)

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
ChristopherC

TVPaint lags if left open for too long (works fine after closing and re-opening)

Post by ChristopherC »

Hello!

There's possible bug i've noticed that's been happening to me for a while, i'm curious if anyone else has been experiencing it:

If i have TVPaint open for a long while (usually around 1 hour), the brush engine begins to lag like crazy. if i close and open the software again the issue goes away. I usually notice this if i leave TVPaint for a while, and upon switching back over to TVPaint, the lag is there, so i just quit and re-open to get things working normally.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

my set-up is an M1 Mac Mini running Big Sur, Cintiq Pro 24' (screen resolution set to 2.5k since 32-bit died and 4k stopped being supported on Mac :cry: ) (also 'open in low resolution' is on)
slowtiger

Re: TVPaint lags if left open for too long (works fine after closing and re-opening)

Post by slowtiger »

Not on my machines, and TVP is open for weeks.
TVP 10.0.18 and 11.0 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
TVP 11.0 and 11.7 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
TVP 11.7 Mac Mini M2pro 32GB OS 13.5
ChristopherC

Re: TVPaint lags if left open for too long (works fine after closing and re-opening)

Post by ChristopherC »

slowtiger wrote: 15 Jun 2022, 07:09 Not on my machines, and TVP is open for weeks.
That's good to know, i'm upgrading my set-up in a few weeks time, so i can hope it's just a quirk of my current system that'll get left behind :^)
Xavier

Post by Xavier »

ChristopherC wrote: 15 Jun 2022, 00:34 my set-up is an M1 Mac Mini running Big Sur, Cintiq Pro 24' (screen resolution set to 2.5k since 32-bit died and 4k stopped being supported on Mac :cry: ) (also 'open in low resolution' is on)
I'd assume you're with a Wibu version, so at least 11.5.0 ? 11.5.3 maybe ?

Yes, the 32-bit version can only handle 4 Gigs of ram per process at most. And once TVPaint reaches this limit, there's nothing you can do to avoid the crash. So it's for your own good :wink:

Could you please check if there is any free memory available when you experience the lag ?
https://support.apple.com/en-US/guide/a ... 4/mac/11.0

But in any case, I'd advise you to save your project and close TVPaint when you're done. Not a good practice to let any software running forever, even though it is possible.
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Xavier wrote: 16 Jun 2022, 08:12
But in any case, I'd advise you to save your project and close TVPaint when you're done. Not a good practice to let any software running forever, even though it is possible.

He said the lag starts after having TVPaint open for around 1 hour. Surely this shouldn't happen if the software is left open , but idle , for 1 hour , 2 hours, or 3 hours , maybe 4 hours ?

However, I must say that I have the same experience as SlowTiger : I sometimes leave TVPaint open for days at a time with no lag or crash. (but never without saving the project(s) first) . I realize I probably should not do this , so I'll be more careful about shutting it down.

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

My machines are running for months without reboot, and many of the programs as well. There's nothing wrong with that. TVP is among the most stable ones.
ChristopherC

Post by ChristopherC »

ok update! After some testing, i’ve found that reliably, the lag happens whenever my Mac goes into sleep mode and wakes back up. i can replicate this and the same happens every time. Now I can't say for sure if the same happens without the system going to sleep, but i'll do some more testing.

I'm running 11.5.3, Memory Pressure is all green, 650mb used by tvpaint, and only 10/16gb used through the system.

Xavier wrote: 16 Jun 2022, 08:12
Yes, the 32-bit version can only handle 4 Gigs of ram per process at most. And once TVPaint reaches this limit, there's nothing you can do to avoid the crash. So it's for your own good :wink:
having a significantly worse drawing experience with previously fine brushes lagging too much to function, and having to half the screen resolution every time the app is opened is far from the ideal experience in upgrading a visuals based program (especially while also upgrading to a much more powerful system). it’s definitely an update that needed to happen but still i hope the pretty much perfect performance that tvpaint had in the past returns within the 64-bit version. i’d un-ironically buy the software again just to bring it back!
Xavier

Post by Xavier »

ChristopherC wrote: 16 Jun 2022, 19:05 ok update! After some testing, i’ve found that reliably, the lag happens whenever my Mac goes into sleep mode and wakes back up. i can replicate this and the same happens every time. Now I can't say for sure if the same happens without the system going to sleep, but i'll do some more testing.

I'm running 11.5.3, Memory Pressure is all green, 650mb used by tvpaint, and only 10/16gb used through the system.
Ok, thanks, we'd need to do some tests. Would you mind sharing one of your brushes, which lags a lot after sleep ?
ChristopherC

Post by ChristopherC »

Xavier wrote: 16 Jun 2022, 19:57
ChristopherC wrote: 16 Jun 2022, 19:05 ok update! After some testing, i’ve found that reliably, the lag happens whenever my Mac goes into sleep mode and wakes back up. i can replicate this and the same happens every time. Now I can't say for sure if the same happens without the system going to sleep, but i'll do some more testing.

Ok, thanks, we'd need to do some tests. Would you mind sharing one of your brushes, which lags a lot after sleep ?
I've found that literally every custom brush has severe lag, i can't find one that doesn't. Even the standard tools set to default have noticeable lag. Though the least affected are the 'pencil brush' and 'mechanical pencil' tools.

Here are the custom brushes i use, they all work totally fine after closing and re-opening the program.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1izVArS ... sp=sharing

Thank you for taking a look! :)
Xavier

Post by Xavier »

ChristopherC wrote: 16 Jun 2022, 22:49 I've found that literally every custom brush has severe lag, i can't find one that doesn't. Even the standard tools set to default have noticeable lag. Though the least affected are the 'pencil brush' and 'mechanical pencil' tools.

Here are the custom brushes i use, they all work totally fine after closing and re-opening the program.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1izVArS ... sp=sharing

Thank you for taking a look! :)
This question has been roaming around for quite a while, so I presume it is a real issue. However the hardest part is to reproduce this issue, and for the moment we didn't manage to do it.
Could you please test the build I sent you in PM ?
ChristopherC

Post by ChristopherC »

Xavier wrote: 17 Jun 2022, 11:56 This question has been roaming around for quite a while, so I presume it is a real issue. However the hardest part is to reproduce this issue, and for the moment we didn't manage to do it.
Could you please test the build I sent you in PM ?
I didn't know this was a common issue, it's a lot easier to deal with now knowing what's triggering it, i thought it was happening at random for the longest time haha. I've PM'd you!
ChristopherC

Post by ChristopherC »

slowtiger wrote: 15 Jun 2022, 07:09 Not on my machines, and TVP is open for weeks.
Slowtiger i'm curious, what kind of Mac / version of TVPaint are you using?
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Just have a look at my signature?
ChristopherC

Post by ChristopherC »

slowtiger wrote: 19 Jun 2022, 06:55 Just have a look at my signature?
I see, i wasn't sure if that was current or not. I'm just looking for a good machine to upgrade too but if your experience is with using TVP10 then it's irrelevant to the problem i'm having in this thread, seeing as all the issues only came up in TVPaint 11 64-bit.

I did notice a few of your posts looking through old questions about TVPaint 11 performance problems on Mac, and you always come up defending that things work perfectly for you, being able to run things fine in 4k, no loss in brush performance, etc. but the performance problems only really began in TVPaint 11's 64-bit version, so it's comparing apples to oranges. I suggest clarifying that from now on.
ChristopherC

Post by ChristopherC »

After a bit more testing i've found another reliable way which brings up the lag, possibly the cause of why the program lags after sleep..

As i use 2 displays (a Cintiq 24 Pro (set to 2k) and an LG 4k Monitor) I've noticed that if i move the TVPaint window from one display to another, the program begins to severely lag when drawing. The lag doesn't go away no matter which screen it is placed on after switching just one time, the only fix seems to be closing and re-opening the program. Also note that changing the screen resolution while TVPaint is open also brings up the lag.

(Re-sizing the window within the first screen it opens in, or going into fullscreen mode on that same screen does not cause any of the lag)

I've tried opening the program and instantly moving the window over to the other display without first drawing, and the lag is still present from the change in display. i've tried setting both displays to low resolution with no success. It seems that when the system goes to sleep, it's the 'display refresh' that is causing the problem ? anyway hopefully this helps to figure out what the cause could be.