Example for a Hue Stamp Brush?

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
Animark

Example for a Hue Stamp Brush?

Post by Animark »

Definition of the words I use (For better understanding.I hope they are correct.):
Stamp: That's what the brush is made of - the pixels in the brush
Print: That's what the brush is printing on the "paper"

OK, here is my problem:
I try to analyse how the Hue Stamp brush-Setting is working. I understand, that the brush-setting is based on the H-Values in the HSL Slider. I made some tests with different hue-values but only got a solid colored print of the brush. Also mixing different colors with different H-values in one stamp only results in a solid color print (the A-Pen Color). Using gradients between different colors (different H-values) just makes the prints a greyish, where the colors are mixed together.

The explanation in the manual says: "Hue Stamp : uses the A color but keeps the hue." [chapter 11]
Mhm?

Maybe it helps me to get a better idea of the Hue-Stamp when having a good example. Is there a brush using the Hue-Stamp setting with any result that is not possible to get with one of the other brush-modes? The worlds most famous very unique Hue-Stamp-Brush? ;-)

Many thanks in advance!
TVPaint 10.5.7 - Win10/64
TVPaint 11.0.8 - Win10/64
TVPaint 11.0.8 - Win10/64 (Wacom Companion 2)
Peter Wassink

Re: Example for a Hue Stamp Brush?

Post by Peter Wassink »

not sure what you are asking.

did you try picking up a color foto and experiment with that?
gives the expected effect here, namely: it turns the foto in a monochrome image in the tone of the A color
Peter Wassink - 2D animator
• PC: Win11/64 Pro - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core - 64Gb RAM
• laptop: Win10/64 Pro - i7-4600@2.1 GHz - 16Gb RAM
Animark

Post by Animark »

Hi Peter,

basicly I am asking for how to use the hue stamp mode.
I did'nt tried it with a photo. Thanks a lot for that hint. With a photo I got some results thats helps me to understand how it works.

I would also like to see an example of a hue-brush used in an artistically way. Is there something, that makes the hue-mode unique? Something that is only possible to get with a hue-brush?
(It's very difficult for me to ask this in english. I try my best to be clear.)
Peter Wassink

Post by Peter Wassink »

it wil just gives you somedifferent possibilities when creating custombrushes.
When you want to create a brush that can vary in color depending on pressure you can use the Luma mode
with an animated brush that animates from black to white

a similar thing can be done with the Hue mode.
you could make an animated brush in any color that animates from 0% to 100% saturation
Then couple it to pressure so that pressure connects to saturation. this brush will then work with any Hue you choose.
Peter Wassink - 2D animator
• PC: Win11/64 Pro - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core - 64Gb RAM
• laptop: Win10/64 Pro - i7-4600@2.1 GHz - 16Gb RAM
Animark

Post by Animark »

Thanks a lot, Peter! Now I got it. My mistake was, that I thought, that the hue-values of the pixels inside the brush are responsible for the look of the strokes on the paper. Instead just the saturation values of the brush pixels are responsible for the look. The saturation comes from the brush, and the color (hue-Values) are taken from the APen Color. That makes sense :-).