Windows : Video input settings

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
D.T. Nethery

Windows : Video input settings

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Hi,

I have a new question regarding frame capture from a webcam in TVPaint . This is not a crashing issue, but is related to the webcam settings in the Video-Input panel for Windows version of TVPaint 11 . (if you want to split this off to a new topic , please feel free ...)

A student emailed me to say she is using TVPaint 11.0.2 running on Windows 8 , with a Logitech C-920 HD webcam. She mentions that she is having trouble with the Auto-Focus on the webcam constantly searching for a focus point , so some of her captured images are out of focus. She is asking how to set the Logitech webcam to Manual Focus.

For my students using TVPaint on Mac I suggest to them to use a webcam control software called iGlasses, which allows for manual control of the webcam's focus , exposure, white balance, etc. However, I do not know of a similar webcam control software for Windows.

I have an old screenshot from TVPaint 9.5 that someone from TVPaint sent me a long time ago , which shows the Windows camera properties window that comes up when clicking on "Settings" button in the Video-Input panel. Is it the same now in TVPaint 11 on Windows ? If the student clicks on "Settings" will a window like this appear ? --

If I recall correctly, I think under the Camera Control or Facetracking tab there may be the option to set the webcam's focus to MANUAL Focus (?) . I am just trying to confirm that this is still an option for Windows users using TVPaint 11 , so I may correctly advise the student. (because I do not have a Windows PC here , only Mac) .

Thanks.

-David

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
Léo
Site Admin

Re: Mac OS : crashes when grabbing images with a camcorder

Post by Léo »

Hello David,

I believe that the webcam settings panel in the Video-Input panel will depend of the trademark and also the model of your webcam, so that's pretty difficult to have the same panel.
For example here is the panel I will have with my camera Logitech C-270 HD webcam (in French sorry):
video input.PNG
video input.PNG (92.04 KiB) Viewed 17409 times
Léo Fernandez
TVPaint Q&A and Lead Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester
Windows 11 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10870H CPU @ 2.20GHz 2.21 GHz,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 24 Pro.
Wacom driver version 6.4.2-3
Elodie

Re: Windows : Video input settings

Post by Elodie »

(I split the topic as you suggested David, since this issue concerns Windows users.)
Fabrice

Post by Fabrice »

If I remember well, the screen capture came from the Recordex Camera.
Fabrice Debarge
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Léo wrote:Hello David,

I believe that the webcam settings panel in the Video-Input panel will depend of the trademark and also the model of your webcam, so that's pretty difficult to have the same panel.

For example here is the panel I will have with my camera Logitech C-270 HD webcam (in French sorry):
Ok, thanks for that information. I'll ask the student to send me a screen capture of what her Video Input webcam Settings look like (to see if there is any option for Manual Focus on her webcam settings) . That's a little different than what I'm used to with Mac 32bit version of Video-Input , where clicking on Settings brings up this window -
TVPaint Mac 32bit Video Settings.jpg
TVPaint Mac 32bit Video Settings.jpg (38.62 KiB) Viewed 17380 times
and you select the Source input device from among whatever active devices are available , then any changes to the camera's settings are made in the Adjustments tab ... but it's the SAME interface no matter which webcam is used , not dependent on the trademark and model of the webcam as in the Windows version.

Question : if you use your Logitech C-270 HD webcam to shoot a line test or otherwise capturing images of artwork how do you keep the auto-focus on the Logitech C-270 from ruining the shots ? Are you able to switch the Logitech into Manual Focus mode ? I can't see how to do this on Windows from the screenshots I've seen. (on Mac I have the students use the iGlasses webcam control software to manually control the webcam's focus and exposure , but unfortunately iGlasses is Mac-only).

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
Fabrice

Post by Fabrice »

Question : if you use your Logitech C-270 HD webcam to shoot a line test or otherwise capturing images of artwork how do you keep the auto-focus on the Logitech C-270 from ruining the shots ? Are you able to switch the Logitech into Manual Focus mode ? I can't see how to do this on Windows from the screenshots I've seen. (on Mac I have the students use the iGlasses webcam control software to manually control the webcam's focus and exposure , but unfortunately iGlasses is Mac-only).
Unfortunately, I'm not sure it can be done through a driver/software on all the existing camera models.
I remember talking with a Gobelins teacher who told me that he was really careful to avoid auto-focus hardware.
Fabrice Debarge