TVPaint's "AVI (Internal)" setting

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
Sewie

TVPaint's "AVI (Internal)" setting

Post by Sewie »

I was wondering, the "AVI (Internal)" setting in the Export Footage Window, does it have compression?
Meaning, can I use this as a lossless compression to import in Premiere for editing and then export it out (from Premiere) to PNG or TIFF?

Thanks!
Michael Sewnarain - Website
Windows 11/64b Pro - TVP11.7.0 & 11.7.1 - Pro/64b - Cintiq32 Pro - Intel i7-12700K - 64Gb RAM
mox

Re: TVPaint's "AVI (Internal)" setting

Post by mox »

There's no compression for the AVI (internal) RGB 24/32 bits mode (not sure for the YUV mode...).
Jerome Lorin
Moxica (playground)
(Win11/TVP 11.7.3-64 bits pro)
Sewie

Post by Sewie »

Thanks, Mox.
I've never used the YUV mode. Don't even know what it does...
Michael Sewnarain - Website
Windows 11/64b Pro - TVP11.7.0 & 11.7.1 - Pro/64b - Cintiq32 Pro - Intel i7-12700K - 64Gb RAM
Paul Fierlinger

Post by Paul Fierlinger »

It makes a difference in color quality. Some rendering codecs prefer YUV, otherwise I don't think there's too much of a difference as far as we should be concerned. I've tried both and don't see a difference.
Paul
http://www.slocumfilm.com
Desktop PC Win10-Pro -64 bit OS; 32.0 GB RAM
Processor: i7-2600 CPU@3.40GHz
AMD FirePro V7900; Intuos4 Wacom tablet
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Paul Fierlinger wrote:It makes a difference in color quality. Some rendering codecs prefer YUV, otherwise I don't think there's too much of a difference as far as we should be concerned. I've tried both and don't see a difference.
Do you know which codecs prefer YUV ?

I made a test rendering of the same scene exported twice, one with YUV and the other with RGB, and to my eyes (on my monitor) the colors of the .AVI exported as YUV looked a little bit more saturated/warmer than the colors of the .AVI exported as RGB . The YUV .AVI file size was slightly smaller than the RGB .AVI .

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
Paul Fierlinger

Post by Paul Fierlinger »

I had the same experience with with the Sony YUV Codec and there's a Sony 10-bit YUV Codec too which I never tested because in spite of the pleasant results I was worried to adopt YUV only because so few people use it and it might lead me into some unforeseen complications down the line because the difference wasn't that great anyhow.
Paul
http://www.slocumfilm.com
Desktop PC Win10-Pro -64 bit OS; 32.0 GB RAM
Processor: i7-2600 CPU@3.40GHz
AMD FirePro V7900; Intuos4 Wacom tablet
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

D.T. Nethery wrote:
Paul Fierlinger wrote:It makes a difference in color quality. Some rendering codecs prefer YUV, otherwise I don't think there's too much of a difference as far as we should be concerned. I've tried both and don't see a difference.
Do you know which codecs prefer YUV ?

I made a test rendering of the same scene exported twice, one with YUV and the other with RGB, and to my eyes (on my monitor) the colors of the .AVI exported as YUV looked a little bit more saturated/warmer than the colors of the .AVI exported as RGB . The YUV .AVI file size was slightly smaller than the RGB .AVI .

This is strange: On September 1 I made some tests , exporting .AVI files from TVPaint using RGB and YUV format . Both formats played fine in Quicktime Player 7 PRO . (as I said above: "the colors of the .AVI exported as YUV looked a little bit more saturated/warmer than the colors of the .AVI exported as RGB .") Now today (Sept. 29) I tried exporting to .AVI with the YUV mode , but this time when I tried to play the .AVI file it shows as all black frames in Quicktime Player 7 PRO . (VLC player will open it.) It's not a big deal really, but it bothers me . WHY did it play before , but now it doesn't play in Quicktime ? I haven't changed anything on my end that I am aware of.

Anyone else on Mac OS: can you export from TVPaint with the Internal .AVI export engine set to YUV mode and open the video in Quicktime Player 7 ?

furushil

Post by furushil »

D.T. Nethery wrote:Anyone else on Mac OS: can you export from TVPaint with the Internal .AVI export engine set to YUV mode and open the video in Quicktime Player 7 ?
I tried it and it is also all black here because of missing components.
MAC OS 12.6.2 - TVpaint 11.7.1 PRO 64bit, Wacom Intuos Pro
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

furushil wrote:
D.T. Nethery wrote:Anyone else on Mac OS: can you export from TVPaint with the Internal .AVI export engine set to YUV mode and open the video in Quicktime Player 7 ?
I tried it and it is also all black here because of missing components.
Thank you for confirming that. It's good to know it's not just me.

Elodie

Post by Elodie »

We bought Quicktim Pro 7, Thierry should do the test soon.
Thierry
Site Admin

Post by Thierry »

Confirmed.

I exported an AVI in YUV with TVPaint and tried to read it with QuickTime 7 Pro and with QuickTime 10.4, it didn't work.
No issue at all with VLC Media player, and even Windows Media Player and the Win10 application for videos can read it without issues.
Si votre question a trouvé réponse, marquez votre sujet comme Résolu.
If your question has been answered, mark your topic as Solved.
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Thierry wrote:Confirmed.

I exported an AVI in YUV with TVPaint and tried to read it with QuickTime 7 Pro and with QuickTime 10.4, it didn't work.
No issue at all with VLC Media player, and even Windows Media Player and the Win10 application for videos can read it without issues.
Ok, thanks for confirming that.

I can only guess that with my previous experiment with exporting an .AVI in YUV mode I must have made a mistake ... I probably thought I had switched it over to YUV mode ,but I still had it set to RGB mode , so that's why it opened ok in Quicktime 7 Pro. I think I fooled myself. :oops:

It's really not a huge issue for me (whether or not I can use .AVI in YUV mode) . RBG mode .AVI is fine for my purposes .
If I needed to use YUV mode for some reason I'll just open it in VLC (and can use VLC "Convert" to convert it to H.264 .mov or .mp4 if needed). It is probably not worth the time emailing to ask Apple to fix QT Pro 7 to play YUV mode .AVI's because I doubt they'll respond or do anything about it. I'm just glad QT Pro 7 will open and play .AVI in Motion JPEG mode and in RGB mode.