DRM and DONGLE

This section is dedicated to the feature & improvement requests (be sure what you are asking does not exist yet in TVPaint Animation ;) )
Fabrice

Re: Time for No Dongle version of TVP?

Post by Fabrice »

Safenet is nowadays proposing some new smaller dongles.
Wait'n see, some representatives should visit us in the coming weeks. ;)
Fabrice Debarge
oferk

Post by oferk »

What do you mean everywhere? You can download the demo and with the dongle it will be able to save files?
ematecki
Site Admin

Post by ematecki »

Not the demo, the full version.
With your lock&unlock codes, you can download it anywhere, plug the dongle in that computer, and there you go.
So write them down, they are very helpful.
On any OS, too.
If you go to a customer and your win laptop dies, install TVPA on it's Mac, no problem...
Quicktime is DEAD. Get over it and move on !
mortenandersen

Post by mortenandersen »

I agree that a no-dongle version of TVPaint would be nice. Especially for when it's used on laptops with only 2 USB ports (like the MacBook). 2 ports gets used quite quickly since one of them is probably already used by a wacom board or similar.

I suggest some sort of network license, which would instead require an internet connection. Atleast give us the choice to choose a solution. I recommend you look at how Adobe handles their Creative Cloud service. I think it works pretty well, is tied to the user and allows installations on two computers (for YOUR use, that is). And every now and then it will check with the licensing server to see if your license is valid.

All I'm saying is, I think it's possible to keep your software safe without the need of dongles. I understand you're a smaller company and cannot afford piracy. :)
neonnoodle

Post by neonnoodle »

I'm wondering about the future of the dongle for a few reasons:

1) I'm considering getting a Samsung Galaxy Note 2, and would love to be able to use TVPaint on it. I hope that the final Android version doesn't require a large USB port dongle, because it seems like it would make it impractical to use on a handheld device.

2) I'm terrified to take my dongle out of my desktop at home! It's too small and I'm terrified of losing it. I put it on my keys, but it's still far too valuable and I'm too absent-minded to trust myself taking it from place to place.
idragosani

Post by idragosani »

I just leave mine plugged into my desktop at all times. You can even get locks for dongles that keep them secured better to a chassis.
Brett W. McCoy -- http://www.brettwmccoy.com
TVP Pro 10 : Intel i7 2600 3.4 GHz : 8GB RAM : Ubuntu Studio 14.04 : Cintiq 21UX
neonnoodle

Post by neonnoodle »

I would leave it at home all the time, except that I have a laptop which I use when I travel. This is one of those situations where I'd prefer a live internet authentication system instead of relying on my ability not to be absent-minded :P
Paul Fierlinger

Post by Paul Fierlinger »

Isn't there yet another option? I saw somewhere a picture and description of these soon to be released tiny dongles that are pushed into the USB outlet with but a small bump protruding, making it impossible to cause any damage.
Paul
http://www.slocumfilm.com
Desktop PC Win10-Pro -64 bit OS; 32.0 GB RAM
Processor: i7-2600 CPU@3.40GHz
AMD FirePro V7900; Intuos4 Wacom tablet
Joost

Dongle

Post by Joost »

When I want to use tvpaint on another location than my work location, for example: at home, I always have to remember to take my tvpaint dongle with me.
And of course there is always the possibility to forget the dongle.
Is there a way to work with tvpaint without the dongle?

Will there ever be a version of tvpaint without a dongle?
Sometimes it feels like a punishment for the people who bought tvpaint in stead of downloading it illegally. :D

(of course I know the dongle is a good way to protect your software, but maybe you found a better way to protect it )
Mac OS 13.4.1 , Mac Studio 2023, 32GB RAM, Wacom Cintiq 27 QHD (no touch), Wacom Driver 6.4.2-4.
TVP Pro 11.7.1
schwarzgrau

Re: Dongle

Post by schwarzgrau »

Same here. I would be really happy to get two licenses, to install it on my home computer and my office computer, like I did with basically all other software, so I don't need to carry this expensive dongle with me every day. But I guess the TVPaint developers are still pretty happy with the dongle-system.
Windows 11 22H2 / TVP 11.7.0 PRO WIBU / Cintiq 22HD
Windows 11 22H2 / TVP 11.7.0 PRO WIBU / Mobile Studio Pro 16" (2019)
Android 13 / TVP 11.7.0 / Galaxy Tab 7 FE
INSTAGRAM
TVPaint
Site Admin

Re: DRM and DONGLE

Post by TVPaint »

Topic merged with similar topics.